4 new 100 Watt Panels

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VernContra

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am about to mount 4 panels to the back of my Aliner.  They will be side by side with the long direction running up the roof in an A B C D pattern.  I plan to wire them in Series-Parallel, 2 x 2.  Out in the open, it sould have no problems.  If part of the roof were in shade during the day,  Would I be better off to pair them A C series and B D Series then parallel the 2 sets, OR  [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]pair them A B series and C D Series then parallel the 2 sets.[/font]
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I know this is "splitting hairs" and I guess I can change it at a later date, but I'm hoping for the best outcome of the install so I only have to do it once.[/font]
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]My Charge controller will handle all 4 in series, but again, the shade thingy.
Thanks in advance for any and all input! :cool: :D
[/font]

I hope you have enough muscle or a trick to lift the roof. Check Slim Potetohead's channel, he has a contraption with a 2x4 to leverage the weight when lifting the roof (older video)

Here I found it for you:

This is probable one of these times where you will learn as you go.

I wonder if it would be easy to layout the wiring, so it would be fairly simple, to switch between configurations?
Something like one of these?

wiring solar panels-1.jpg

wiring solar panels-2.jpg

With the second picture, hiding all of the wiring under one of the solar panels. 

This way, you could simply connect the panels the way that suits your situation, by using connecting wires. 
It seems to me that MC4 connectors are not all that expensive. So it should not be too expensive to make the interconnecting-wires, so they are fairly easy to switch around. 

Eventually you are likely to find a configuration that will suit your needs for most situations. And then just leave things at that configuration.

Attachments

• wiring solar panels-1.jpg
    wiring solar panels-1.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 13
  • wiring solar panels-2.jpg
    wiring solar panels-2.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 12
Here are illustrations of how you could switch between configurations

config-1.jpg  

config-2.jpg   

config-3.jpg

This way you can have the top and bottom panels in series, and then both of those sets in parallel. 
Or you can switch to left side and right side panels in series, and then the set of them in parallel.

Or even all in series. 
Or all in parallel, if that ever becomes a good idea - (this option is not illustrated).

Either way, this method will make it fairly easy for you to learn as you go.

Attachments

• config-1.jpg
    config-1.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 11
  • config-2.jpg
    config-2.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 9
  • config-3.jpg
    config-3.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 9
Sofisintown said:
I hope you have enough muscle or a trick to lift the roof. Check Slim Potetohead's channel, he has a contraption with a 2x4 to leverage the weight when lifting the roof (older video)

Here I found it for you:

Thanks Sofi. I love watching Slim, if you dont already, you may enjoy watching Gonagain,  (<no e in gonagain)  I just love watching Rick and Linda on their trips.

Pair them up AB and CD>  [a]-  [c]-[d]

Otherwise, in AC and BD pairing, let's say the shade of a nearby tree covers 1/2 of the roof, then that shade will be affecting one panel of each series pair, severely reducing output of both strings.

Frequently re-arranging MC4 connectors (plugging and unplugging) is also, not recommended.

Thanks for the replies!  I should have attached this picture with the first post.
The panels will be as in my attached layout and I will attach the wires to the frame under the top end.
I guess you are all correct about shading there isn't really much I can do to try and cheat the trees of the shade.    There will be many ways that shade will cover the Aliner and I can't plan for them all.
Having not attached them yet, I think the leads on the panels will be more telling once they are in place.  I don't think now after seeing your replies that the A-C and B-D layout will work because of the length of the panel leads.
I will update after installation on Wednesday when the weather here gets to the 50 degree mark and I can get them installed.
Talk to you all then. :cool:

Sofisintown said:

Here I found it for you:

They are flexible and only weigh 4# ea are going on the roof at he hinge with aluminum frame on my small solid dormer.  I tested the equivalent weight  before purchasing.  I have watched Slim and Rick Sutliff videos on their installs .  I am keeping the weight near the hinge as much as possible.  The dormer I have a contingency plan to open it  once the Aliner is open to raise the dormer from the outside and prop it up with a wooden dowel and finish opening from he inside.

Thanks for the drawings but I can't figure out how to make them [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]appear in my reply[/font].  LOL
My flexible panels will be side by side like matches in a pack or candles in a box.  All the connections will be near the top.  They are HQST 
 flexible 100 Watt from Amazon if you want to see how the connections are on the panels.

Have you considered a second controller or making one set easily removable to use remotely? I’m no expert but since the panels are so light weight seems that might be an easy solution.

VernContra said:
My flexible panels will be side by side like matches in a pack or candles in a box.  All the connections will be near the top. 

So more like this?

layout-1.jpg

Attachments

• layout-1.jpg
    layout-1.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 12
VernContra said:
Thanks for the drawings but I can't figure out how to make them appear in my reply.  LOL
You are welcome   :)

I am on a computer, and this is how the forum works on my screen:

- Under the quick reply window, click "select preview"
Then you get an edit page with more options

On this more advanced edit page,
a green bar will have the text: "Attachments..."

- click "choose files". 
- then point out the file in the file selection pop-up-window
- click to the right: "add attachment"
Take note of the button to the far right: "Insert Into Post", as we will return to this click button.

Then go back to the edit frame and place the cursor where you want to show the file/image
- and click the button "Insert Into Post"
Now a text like "View attachment 27251" will show up in the edit frame. The number will be different though.

Was this helpful?

Revisiting my post it seems I need to thank some more people for their advice and help. Here is the picture of my install. The panels are 2S2P configuration. My victron smart solar 100/30 kept my two 100 amp hour AGM batteries in top condition for 10 months. My average yield was 240 Watt hours. In September this year I changed to an SOK 206Ah LiFePO4 Battery and my average yield is up to 300 Wh. I run pretty minimal currently and once I get the proper sized wires for my inverter, I will be able to run my microwave.
View attachment 19487
So thank you all again for your help and assistance! I appreciate it very much.
Photo: Tyson Wash LTVA 12/2021

Latest posts