25 Best Campgrounds

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is my most popular spot, free and near the entrance to Mesa Verde National Park. The initial description doesn't do it justice, and the evolution of the usage and knowledge of the area through the comments is interesting. There has been minimal improvement from the County, mostly at the muddiest portion at the entrance. The BLM is currently reviewing their parcels in this area for recreational use, primarily Mountain Biking. I'd not be surprised if this ends up as a developed site, but I'm not formally suggesting it!

https://freecampsites.net/#!9405&query=sitedetails

DLTooley said:
This is my most popular spot, free and near the entrance to Mesa Verde National Park.  

Thanks for telling us about that one!! That's a difficult area to find a good camp.  - Crofter

DLTooley said:
This is my most popular spot, free and near the entrance to Mesa Verde National Park.  The initial description doesn't do it justice, and the evolution of the usage and knowledge of the area through the comments is interesting.  There has been minimal improvement from the County, mostly at the muddiest portion at the entrance.  The BLM is currently reviewing their parcels in this area for recreational use, primarily Mountain Biking.  I'd not be surprised if this ends up as a developed site, but I'm not formally suggesting it!

Woah, thanks for sharing. Do you think there's enough room for a 26 foot travel trailer? My family and I are currently docked in Pagosa springs and we are looking to get back on BLM land.
Thx!

DLTooley said:
This is my most popular spot, free and near the entrance to Mesa Verde National Park.  The initial description doesn't do it justice, and the evolution of the usage and knowledge of the area through the comments is interesting.  There has been minimal improvement from the County, mostly at the muddiest portion at the entrance.  The BLM is currently reviewing their parcels in this area for recreational use, primarily Mountain Biking.  I'd not be surprised if this ends up as a developed site, but I'm not formally suggesting it!

Funny, I just spent 6 nights there, unplanned, nursing a back sprain. I woke early the last day to rain, thinking I should get out before the road got bad, but I wasn't up for moving yet. It rained a lot, and the next day I left it was a white knuckle ride out the muddy road. Good thing it was downhill, I just tried to keep the van moving and hoped it stayed in the muddy ruts, slip-sliding all the way!

It was a nice quiet spot, though more campers than I would have expected. I didn't see or hear any local party scene or shooters and I was there over a weekend.

Sorry to hear about your back :\ we are thinking about checking this site out this Saturday. Do you suppose it'll be too muddy?

shinepuppy said:
Sorry to hear about your back :\ we are thinking about checking this site out this Saturday. Do you suppose it'll be too muddy?

It seemed like a spot that dries out quickly. By the end of the day I left it was probably pretty dry. Don't know if there has been any more rain in the area since I left so I couldn't guess on the road condition. I would check local weather, if it's not been raining it should be okay.

The trouble with best/favorite camping spot lists is that they increase the chances of those spots being overrun by readers of the lists.

The soil is Mancos Shale, when wet, Mancos Muck. It dries quick. I give consideration to popularity in my posts. This is a larger area and even larger if you use the old firewood cutting tracks. Mountain bikers and Mesa Verde visitors make up the majority.

highdesertranger said:
for me the best campsite is NOT in a campground.  highdesertranger

I think Ralph (the author) would most likely agree with you, HDR. at least in spirit:

As he reveals, he prefers mostly free or low cost USFS campgrounds away from people, without hookups, and offering resplendent views.  Add close by fishing opportunities and you have one happy Ralph.

If you need hookups, look elsewhere.  If you don’t like being off the beaten track, keep going.  But if you’re a jolly boondocker who loves extremely affordable camping away from humanity, Ralph’s information is like a big pile of amazing falling from the sky and landing on your future truck camping life.

DLTooley said:
This is my most popular spot, free and near the entrance to Mesa Verde National Park.  

Years ago, long before I considered being a full-timer, I noticed that spot while visiting Mesa Verde.  I couldn't figure out what all of those darn trailer were doing parked right at the entrance of the park.  I DID figure it out, but was still confused as to why the NLS was "allowing" it.  Funny, I had forgotten about it.  Now, I'll put it on my list.