22 more days

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a good idea on the cargo trailer, I'm debating getting a 4x6' or a 5x8', used, and making that my rolling storage unit. They are running between $750 and 1,200 on CL, if in good shape, that's one to two year's storage fees. 

Of course I should probably just try and be more of a minimalist yet I'm not quite ready to give up some tools, a 7' stepladder, and an heirloom oak rocking chair that's quite comfortable, and the only thing left from my mothers side... My kids don't really have the room to store my things, and if I needed something I could be 1,000 miles away.  

A 6x12' covered cargo is a bit on the heavy side, dual axles and all, and should have electric brakes, another maintenance item. Be sure to check the condition (rot/age) of the tires, the wheel bearings and have the necessary safety chains. I see so many travel trailers and 5th wheels on the side of the highway with flats from likely rotted out trailer tires.  You'll need a good spare and the necessary tools to change it. 

Have fun and so glad your timeframe is here.

This world isn said:
That's a good idea on the cargo trailer, I'm debating getting a 4x6' or a 5x8', used, and making that my rolling storage unit. They are running between $750 and 1,200 on CL, if in good shape, that's one to two year's storage fees. 

Of course I should probably just try and be more of a minimalist yet I'm not quite ready to give up some tools, a 7' stepladder, and an heirloom oak rocking chair that's quite comfortable, and the only thing left from my mothers side... My kids don't really have the room to store my things, and if I needed something I could be 1,000 miles away.  

A 6x12' covered cargo is a bit on the heavy side, dual axles and all, and should have electric brakes, another maintenance item. Be sure to check the condition (rot/age) of the tires, the wheel bearings and have the necessary safety chains. I see so many travel trailers and 5th wheels on the side of the highway with flats from likely rotted out trailer tires.  You'll need a good spare and the necessary tools to change it. 

Have fun and so glad your timeframe is here.

my is a single axle this might be the only time I get something new

Cool!

A 6x12 cargo trailer is a good size, thats what I bought. I believe it weighs about 900 pounds empty, and about 100 pounds tongue weight, empty.

Its a nice size for creating a small living space, and assuming it has enough headroom for you, its a good start for a small camper/tiny home. Installing insulation is a bit of a chore, but can be done if you have the patience and a few tools.

Plus they are easy to tow, mine is exactly as wide as my van, not counting the wheel width.

tx2sturgis said:
Cool!

A 6x12 cargo trailer is a good size, thats what I bought. I believe it weighs about 900 pounds empty, and about 100 pounds tongue weight, empty.

Its a nice size for creating a small living space, and assuming it has enough headroom for you, its a good start for a small camper/tiny home. Installing insulation is a bit of a chore, but can be done if you have the patience and a few tools.

Plus they are easy to tow, mine is exactly as wide as my van, not counting the wheel width.

it is around 6 foot tall inside this is same width
as my ford e150

Dean and Buster said:
it is around 6 foot tall inside this is same width
as my ford e150

Good thing, likely no frontal "sail" effect then.  Bob Wells really liked his unit, look over his older videos to see what he did to it.

going to have to find help to insulate the trailer and put the walls back up and put windows in the trailer has quarter inch walls then do the ceiling

I don't know how much help I can be... Pm me if you want.  Include a way to get ahold of you.  Phone would be good...

will do. 10 more days left we are really looking forward to this adventure drive the miles I want and stop somewhere and park and settle down and build up the courage to go again or stay where I am good for traveling 3 hours of driving and downtime I do need at times .

going to have to learn how to do this friends family cringe when the see my van and see how it is setup for living have not told them that I now have a trailer to I am just going to keep quiet about it except with my groups I feel that are important to me .

for the van and trailers maiden voyage and to learn to tow a trailer for the first time in 20 years for me so I am doing this on a blank slate in my life.

as I get up and trying to function had a bit of rain last night now the house is totally cleaned out now the relief of seeing things getting done we have another 7 days till we live in the van this is so exciting for us .

If you get through Colorado Springs area on your way west I can lend a hand with a few things. You can also check out my own 6x12 trailer. The build is also posted here if you search my threads. Got Smart is a great asset also if you get that way, especially in help laying out your electrical and solar.

masterplumber said:
If you get through Colorado Springs area on your way west I can lend a hand with a few things. You can also check out my own 6x12 trailer. The build is also posted here if you search my threads. Got Smart is a great asset also if you get that way, especially in help laying out your electrical and solar.

that is the main thing

Latest posts