2019 VT Green Mountains Adventure Oct. 15th - 23rd+

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JeanInaBox said:
@ Buster

Your camping in a Honda Civic or in a tent? I’m not new to camping but I’m curious about those comfortable car camping.

Off topic...
I’m planning on migrating north east next summer.... yep I’m going to be a sun bunny. Sure hope their will be gtg’s up that way next year.

Hi Jean!  Welcome!

We had a get-together in September, five of us who'd never been to a CRVL thing or met before. It was such an amazing experience that we immediately began intending/planning to have another next year at the same place.  We think there's room for 3 or 5 more people, so you could ponder that for a late summer possibility.

Also, message me or post on the forums when your plans come together, I'm planted on Long Island for another four years and will be happy for any excuse to sneak away ;oP

JeanInaBox said:
@ Buster
Your camping in a Honda Civic or in a tent? I’m not new to camping but I’m curious about those comfortable car camping.
Off topic...
I’m planning on migrating north east next summer.... yep I’m going to be a sun bunny. Sure hope their will be gtg’s up that way next year.

I'm pulling a TTT (tiny travel trailer). I can't think of anyway to sleep comfortably in a 2007 Civic  :-/
More info about my rig here:   Hello From NJ

A
lready in the works is a gtg in the Poconos Second half of Sept. Small gathering In North East PA. Sept 2019  There will be a new thread for 2020 started sometime in the Spring. 

i don't think I will be in the NE for most of June and July, Too hot and humid. but maybe New England in Aug. 
Will let you know if we start planing anything else in the North East for late summer 2020

wayne49 said:
Buster, are you aware of freecampsites.net?
https://freecampsites.net/#!Vermont&query=region 
Maybe you are looking for spots that are uncharted and kept secret, like HDR's prize spots.

Yes I'm familiar with freecamsites.net but thank you much for the suggestion. I also recommend it.
I will be getting up to date info on sites and trying to fill in some gaps in the available info for the site in the Green Mountains. Or at least that's the plan.

I will have to miss this one too, as I have 3 trips in various planning stages, one of which I leave on Friday. I had one week out and I am HOOKED! Will be in TN/KY through the 12th of October, out west in early November and then Florida for Nov-Dec.

But I'm going to make the next year's activity! And anything else that might come up not involving snow driving, lol.

Sorry you will not make it. Hopefully we cross paths at some point, if not I will look forward to seeing you next year.
Enjoy your travels.

I hope so too. For sure I'll be keeping an eye out for anything on this coast. I'm not experienced in snow driving, and especially not in this van. I think I need to wait a bit before tackling something like that where it could even be a potential only :) Plus, it's going to need stiffer tires. Tread is good, but they really aren't the right type.

I think one of the great parts of a nomadic life is the ability to avoid weather you find unpleasant. No need to go sliding around in the white stuff if that's not your idea of of having fun. I personally feel like a kid again every time I get the chance to do donuts in a snow covered parking lot  :D :angel:  I have not tried it with the trailer yet, we will have to see how that turns out.  :p   I know the Rockies will be calling my name a the first sign of summer heat and humidity.  SheketEchad we will have to find a place in the middle

All,

My thoughts are with you as you camp in the Green Mountains. Looks like the weather will cooperate.
On loons - find isolated quiet lakes then maybe.....
My trip to Natchez Trace was delayed by - of all things - the weather / earlier heat wave in the Southeast and lots of rain. Trapped in middle country....

Dave in VT

vtwinkicker said:
What's the latest on this GTG? Is it happening?

Sorry I didn’t get back to you sooner [size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]vtwinkicker[/font]
, we were busy on the adventure. We learned a lot but we’re all back home now. [/size]

dcbinvt said:
All,

My thoughts are with you as you camp in the Green Mountains. Looks like the weather will cooperate.
On loons - find isolated quiet lakes then maybe.....
My trip to Natchez Trace was delayed by - of all things - the weather / earlier heat wave in the Southeast and lots of rain. Trapped in middle country....

Dave in VT

Hi Dave,
weather wasn’t the best but it didn’t dampen our spirits. Nor’easter came through and gave us lots of rain and some pretty good wind for Wednesday Thursday and Friday. It was a good test of equipment and made for some memorable moments. The trees were just passed their fall peek when we arrived but still a beautiful site it was interesting to watch as the nor’easter stripped most of the remaining leaves and really changed the look of the landscape.

Enjoy the Natchez Trace Parkway looks like a cool ride and I hope the weather improves for you.

This was a successful adventure we had some trying times and lots of laughs. Learned a lot about free camping in the green mountains that was my goal and learned a lot of other stuff not on the to do list. How my rig and equipment held up to the rain, wind and chill of October in the Vermont Green mountains.  It’s this kind of stuff that you can’t learn sitting at home, you really need to be out there and learn from experience.

Free camping in the green mountains is real, accessible and quite pleasant. Their term is “dispersed camping“ it has a 8 person, 3 vehicle, and 14 day limit. per site. The sites are designated sites all of the dozens that we found had fire rings and were easily distinguishable from pull off’s, parking lots and turn arounds. Almost all of the sites were heavily wooded (not good for solar) and well disbursed, you might hear your neighbors but you will not see them in most cases. Cellular reception was spotty at best, we actually experience that AT&T was better than Verizon in most cases. the site were between 1500 and 2800 ft in elevation. Important note, about 50% of the designated sites do require 4WD or at least good ground clearance to enter and exit safely.  I wasn’t taking any chances with my little Honda civic but I didn’t have to there were plenty of available sites.
In the future I can see this as one of the cooler places to be in the north east for the hot summer months.

Thanks for the report, Buster. Sounds like that will be a place I can only visit when I have time off, since the cell service report isn't conducive for my job.
Can't wait to see some photos of the spots y'all had!

highdesertranger said:
sooooooooooooo................

where are the pics?

SheketEchad said:
Thanks for the report, Buster.  Sounds like that will be a place I can only visit when I have time off, since the cell service report isn't conducive for my job. 
Can't wait to see some photos of the spots y'all had!

Sorry for the delay in posting some pictures.
IMG_5933.JPGIMG_5939.JPGIMG_5943a.jpgIMG_6926.jpgjpeg-imag.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5933.JPG
    IMG_5933.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5939.JPG
    IMG_5939.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5943a.jpg
    IMG_5943a.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6926.jpg
    IMG_6926.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 7
  • jpeg-imag.jpg
    jpeg-imag.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 8
Nice road and gorgeous environment. Might be worth being 'off' to enjoy that kind of experience with fellow travelers. Thanks.