2019 VT Green Mountains Adventure Oct. 15th - 23rd+

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buster1903

Reaction score
Vermont Green Mountains Adventure October 15th - 23rd+

The Plan: MeiraNomadRN and I meet in Bennington Vermont Oct. 15th, search out a good, free, first come first serve campsite in the green mountains. Then relay the location for others who are feeling less adventurous to join us there. We do plan to move around the green mountains every few days checking out different campsites and exploring other areas. 
We are expecting this adventure to last at least a week and would like to invite you all to join us. Meet us in Bennington on the 15th, or hook up with us at any point in the adventure.  
My personal goal is to find and check out many of the free campsites in the forest for future visits. 

Last week I was passing through the Green Mountains and was only able to stay one night. But I was greeted to an awesome sunrise. 
IMG_5818.JPGIMG_5819.JPGIMG_5823.JPG

Green Mountains National Forest

Attachments

• IMG_5818.JPG
    IMG_5818.JPG
    41.8 KB
  • IMG_5819.JPG
    IMG_5819.JPG
    49.6 KB
  • IMG_5823.JPG
    IMG_5823.JPG
    37.1 KB
wow getting kinda late in the year. out here in the west it could start snowing anytime now. in the mountains out here we are in the mid 20's at night, by that time in October it will be the mid teens. anyhow good luck. highdesertranger

Buster1903 said:
My personal goal is to find and check out many of the free campsites in the forest for future visits. 

MY personal goals are to take notes on the campsites Buster checks out & to hear the loons.

I hope dcbinvt & derek_the_gypsy see this & can make it!

oops I spoke to soon as of right now there are winter storm warnings for the Northern Sierra's all through the Cascades to the Canadian border and the Northern Rockies. yes folks no more Air Conditioning threads bring on the heater threads winter is here for the Northern west. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
wow getting kinda late in the year.  out here in the west it could start snowing anytime now. in the mountains out here we are in the mid 20's at night,  by that time in October it will be the mid teens.  anyhow good luck.    highdesertranger

Yes, I should give fair warning. There will be some chilly nights and snow is possible but unlikely. I'm sure we will all keep an good eye on the weather. 
Rutland, VT Oct. average temps 58/35 F.  I think Mount Mansfield at 4,395ft. is the highest point in the area so I doubt we will be camping over 2500ft.  And I did call this an adventure  :D

my buddy used to say, "adventure is never fun when it's happening". as we were huddled under a tarp in a blizzard or something similar. highdesertranger

MeiraNomadRN said:
MY personal goals are to take notes on the campsites Buster checks out & to hear the loons.

Well I'll be singing but I'm not sure I'm the kind of loon your looking for. ( we need a lunatic emoji or at least a YARC emoji )

highdesertranger said:
my buddy used to say,  "adventure is never fun when it's happening".  as we were huddled under a tarp in a blizzard or something similar.  highdesertranger

I can't agree more. You can have a miserable muddy time and think the only up side to come out of this will be a good story. But 2 days after you are home you can't wait to get out there again  :)

"adventure is never fun when it's happening" I like that I think it will be added to my signature

Argh, I will be out in TN/KY area just before then. Hmmm. Do you know anything about the cell signal strength for Verizon up there? I'd have to work during the day, so that would be a key point. Since you guys will arrive before I'd depart, I'll keep an eye on this to see if there is signal or not.

SheketEchad said:
Hmmm.  Do you know anything about the cell signal strength for Verizon up there? 
I'll keep an eye on this to see if there is signal or not.

I will be checking out cell signal strength for Verizon as I explore the campsites. When I was there last week the signal strength was all or nothing. Ether I had 4 bars and LTE or "no signal" (Mountains :-/ )  I'm sure we would all like a good signal, I'll keep you informed. 

Have fun in TN and KY

Well all,

Ugghhh, I'll have to miss.... normally I'd jump at the chance to camp with the group - or whatever part can make it, but
too far and I'm on a (loosely) planned trip. Need to find a place to settle for a couple days to do some housecleaning, get van serviced, do wash, shop, etc.

As I'm sure you're all aware this will really be winter camping... daytime temp highs typically occur around 3 in the afternoon and only last for a short while. It gets dark early, and sun rises later than you'd think.
Anyway I wish I were with you, I can burn some propane for ferret warmth, dog has clothes, and I have gloves.
Great to hear about the latest adventure - have great luck, I'll be thinking about you.

Dave (in VT)

dcbinvt said:
Well all,

Ugghhh, I'll have to miss.... 

Aww, Dave, I'm sorry to hear that.  I'm going to miss Butternut . . . and you and Maggie! lol

I *think* I have a decent understanding of how winter this camping will be, but I guess we'll see for sure.  I'm planning to bring extra socks & it's the perfect excuse to knit myself a new wool hat.  What are my chances of hearing loons (besides Buster)?

dcbinvt said:
Well all,
Ugghhh, I'll have to miss.... normally I'd jump at the chance to camp with the group -
As I'm sure you're all aware this will really be winter camping... daytime temp highs typically occur around 3 in the afternoon and only last for a short while. It gets dark early, and sun rises later than you'd think.
Dave (in VT)

I don't know about "True Winter Camping" this is October not January. We will keep warm by the fire and bundle up for good sleeping at night. I always get the best rest on chilly nights. And the temps will be high enough to keep warm by moving during the day. Looks like MeiraNomadRN will have us on loon watching expeditions daily.  :D

Dave you will be missed on this adventure. Have good travels

Just want to bump this thread, in case anyone missed it . . .

East coast / New England nomads / nomads-in-training: there's still plenty of time to RSVP!  This small gathering is an excellent opportunity to try out your boon docking plans in a low-commitment, friendly & supportive environment.  You can be social or solitary; vent your life story or listen to everyone else; stay for a day or the whole time.

Boyscout66, Buster1903, & myself went on a prior gathering together, you can read about it & see pictures here.

I'm a little late to this, but as I know that most campgrounds in New Hampshire close starting Labor Day weekend, I thought I'd check to see what it's like in Vermont. It appears that most of the Vermont State Parks are the same, and the ones that stay open longer,almost all close the second Monday in October which is the 14th. Here is a link to their calendar: https://vtstateparks.com/assets/pdf/operating-schedule2019.pdf You might want to check around a bit more as you may find it hard to locate places to boondock - New England is not know for being boondocking friendly.

Pomegranate said:
I'm a little late to this, but as I know that most campgrounds in New Hampshire close starting Labor Day weekend, I thought I'd check to see what it's like in Vermont.  It appears that most of the Vermont State Parks are the same, and the ones that stay open longer,almost all close the second Monday in October which is the 14th.  Here is a link to their calendar:  https://vtstateparks.com/assets/pdf/operating-schedule2019.pdf  You might want to check around a bit more as you may find it hard to locate places to boondock - New England is not know for being boondocking friendly.

Thank You Pomegranate, 
Any warnings are appreciated. However we will not be staying at Vermont state parks. We will be staying in the Green Mountain national Forest. The national forest has many drive up free camping sites that are accessible till mid December. The gate to the forest roads that give you access are only closed off/gated before that for emergency reasons. You are correct that the state parks do close there payed camping sites in October. I am really only interested in Free legal Boondocking locations, and this trip is about finding and cataloging as many as I can, or at least as many as my Honda civic will make it to, FUN!!!  :D

@ Buster

Your camping in a Honda Civic or in a tent? I’m not new to camping but I’m curious about those comfortable car camping.

Off topic...
I’m planning on migrating north east next summer.... yep I’m going to be a sun bunny. Sure hope their will be gtg’s up that way next year.

Long time ago, in northern Minnesota, I would talk loonish to loons across the lake. Basically imitating their calls that they had just made. They would call back.

Probably saying the loon equivalent of "Get off this channel, this is for avian loons only, not loony humans."

Latest posts