2019 RTR (Best time for newbie to attend? Beginning, middle, end?)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone:  First time poster and aspiring RTR'er here.

If I have just 3-4 days to come to the 2019 RTR, I'm wondering which days you would recommend, based on my interests below?  I'm going to try and buy plane tickets the next time I see a sale, and perhaps rent an SUV for sleeping in and bring a tent with me. As of now, the expected RTR dates are Jan 9 - Jan 20.

I'm mostly interested in learning about (1) how to set up a Prius or other car for intermittent long trips, (2) seeing the insides of lots of rigs (mostly cars, perhaps), and also (3) getting to experience some of the most informative/helpful/memorable/fun/social/etc parts of the RTR. I'm pretty new to camping and traveling/sleeping in a vehicle.

If I want to see inside many people's cars for ideas, is it best to wait until the Open House(s)?  If so, around which day(s) does that usually happen?

I saw someone mention that parking spots close-in fill up quickly, so does that mean it can be good to get there on or near the 9th?  I just have 3-4 days, total, to be there.

Any other considerations I should be aware of, in terms of when I aim to arrive?

The schedule hasn't been set, yet. When it is a calendar of events will be posted.

The schedule is subject to change, and does, frequently.

The gathering is pretty liquid in terms of parking. People and their vehicles come and go, constantly.

Not much help, eh?

Also, most of the people I met at the last two RTR's were happy to show off their setups if I asked politely.

Put a post up in the cars forum or pm a few of the posters?

cyndi said:
Ha, Cyndi!  I appreciate this info.  Good to know re the fluidity schedule and parking-wise. 

Do you know when the most people are there?  Is that at the beginning?

Also, do you have a favorite time of the RTR?  Meaning, if you had to choose to arrive at the beginning/middle/end, would you have a preference, and why?  Thanks!

Oops.  I'm not sure if this kind of post is appropriate for the Newcomers' area? 

I think maybe this area is reserved for introducing ourselves?

Welcome to the CRVL forums MidsummerDream! Since you haven't introduced yourself yet this is an appropriate place. However, this post is identical to your original thread so I'm going to merge the two threads.

Bob hasn't posted a schedule yet but normally the seminars on the first few days are about preparing for vandwelling, finding boondocking sites, etc. Many people who are still working and want to see what vandwelling is like come for the first weekend so that is the busiest time. You will still be able to find a place to camp. Most people will be very happy to show you their setup. If you see someone outside their car, van or RV just introduce yourself and they will probably let you take a peek.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

It has been my life experience that it's better to be at an event at the beginning and bug out early that it is to jump in the middle of things and try to figure out what's going on.

If you're going to be flying in, getting to Quartzsite from Phoenix or Yuma (then back again) is going to eat up part of your time. So four days becomes more like two days. Most of the informational sessions aimed at beginners are at the start of RTR.

Ah, thanks so much!  And thanks for merging my two posts, as well.

OK, based on what you and everyone are saying, perhaps I'll aim to come near the beginning.

Mr. Noodly, this is super helpful -- exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

If you don't mind, can you say approximately how much time it might take a person to drive from Phoenix to the camp near Quartzite?  And I guess I'd need to allow time to pick up food and gear at the store, as well?  You've got me thinking I may need to add at least another day to my allotted travel time.

MidsummerDream said:
If you don't mind, can you say approximately how much time it might take a person to drive from Phoenix to the camp near Quartzite?

It's about two hours from Phoenix to Quartzsite. Between PHX and the western edge of the metro area are all sorts of places to get supplies. I prefer Buckeye, the far western suburb because it's easy to get off and on I-10, with a Walmart, Fry's supermarket, Home Depot, etc. There's a Cabela's in Glendale, off highway 101, a few miles north of I-10.

It's about 1.5 hours from Yuma to Quartzsite, but it would mean the extra time of a connecting flight from PHX. But the Yuma airport is small and nowhere near as hectic. There's a Walmart about a quarter mile from the airport, plus all the usual stores in various places.

Oh, thanks so much!  This is incredible reassuring and helpful.  It's a little intimidating trying to figure this all out from scratch.

I saw Bob Wells put up a Youtube video of a woman who flew out to 2018 RTR from the East Coast, I believe, and then rented an SUV for sleeping in and had a tent for putting her stuff in.  I think I'll study her very detailed instructions and suggestions.  =)

The first or second weekend is when you will find the highest attendance, meaning more opportunities to find someone with similar setup and solutions. The first weekend is probably the better one, as people are still in the beginning meet and greet stage at that time.

Ah, thanks very much, iTripper.  That makes sense.  All these specifics are getting me even more jazzed about the RTR.

Latest posts