2018 RTR?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi There,​

I'm going to the 2018 RTR and would love to caravan. Currently staying in NE Fl and will be checking out route options soon. Anyone interested in forming a caravan? FYI, I drive a 2011 Chevy Avalanche and travel with my faithful companion, Snickers (chihuahua). ​

Penniemac :)

Penniemac said:
Hi There,​

I'm going to the 2018 RTR and would love to caravan. Currently staying in NE Fl and will be checking out route options soon. Anyone interested in forming a caravan? ​

I'm not sure, but I may be in Georgia before leaving to come to the RTR.  If I am, I would love to join the caravan. :D

XFILE36 said:
I'm not sure, but I may be in Georgia before leaving to come to the RTR.  If I am, I would love to join the caravan. :D

Keep me posted, it will be a great trip!

I've put in for vacation for the timeframe of the RTR.  Haven't had much time off in the past few years so I have a lot of paid time off stacked up.  

I will be found in the quieter, introvert-infested, kindles-not-bongos side of the camp.   ;)   I do look forward to meeting everyone AND I require a lot of recovery time after socializing.  It's me, not you!   :p   I've already got a few things set aside for the treasure pile <-- don't remember what it is called at the moment

At my current slow-but-steady rate all the the major systems in the van will be functional (water, solar, etc), albeit not in final form.  I expect the two-week outing will make it abundantly clear what needs to be changed/moved/upgraded.  Shorter test camps before that will help but some gremlins can hide for shorter durations and be revealed on longer ones.

jimindenver said:
I'd offer my spare bedroom but it consist of a uncomfortable jack knife sofa that Max usually calls dibs on.

Jim is trying to avoid admitting that Max is the one to ask!  

:D :p

rm.w/aview said:
Sorry... to clarify, and again the focus is more towards the LTVA, if I arrived earlier than most and set up, could I be in a spot that is traditionally used by others for "X" amount of years. Just a thought, and it's probably irrelevant, but it came to mind when I thought of Winter in Arizona.

The RTR is a little loosy-goosey, but there is a 14 day limit.  Therefore, many folks head over to Ehrenburg if they get there early.  
The BLM guys are not the Gestapo, but you are supposed to get a 14 day permit... (you can do that when you get there). You will drive right by the table that administers that.

PattySprinter said:
OK smartypants - I will watch for dates to be posted. I don't mind helping too if there is any help that is needed - see you there! :)

I can also get thrre earky if theres anything i can do to help

I will be available to get there early and help out if needed, just contact me or maybe i shpuld email Bob?

XFILE36 said:

Ill be coming from pa and could meet up somewhere on the way

Ehrenburg is very chill a good place to figure out your next moves and very close to RTR

SunDance57 said:
If i do not have an RV by then I am going in my truck and pitch a tent.

I went to my first RTR last year, had no time to drive there from the East Coast with last minute medical nonsense.  So...  I crammed my tent and coleman air mattress into a suitcase and flew to Phoenix, rented a car to get to Quartzite, bought cheap sleeping bag, a pee bucket, and a pillow at Walmart.  Expensive, yes,  but no more so than driving 2500 miles there and 2500 miles back.  I tented amidst all the RVs and white vans and had absolutely no problem doing so.  I ended up being very glad I did it this way, as it gave me all week to poke through dozens of rigs, and ask my million questions.  No sense rushing out to buy a rig...  only to go to the best place on earth to figure out which is the best rig for you to buy.  

By the time I left... A) I knew I had found my tribe.   B) I knew what type of rig I wanted to get.  C) I knew what I wanted and didn't want to put in it.  and D) I knew I would be back for the next one!

So my best advice if you don't have a rig, you dont have your gear,  you dont know what you want...   come anyway!  You can do just about anything for ten days.  You won't be in luxury, but I doubt it will kill you.  I found the knowledge I gained to be well worth the money i spent,  the rather chilly nights in a cheapo bag, and having to "cook" on a teeny rocket stove perched on a wobbly bucket.  Heh,  Good times!!  It was an investment in my future that has paid off many times over.

I'm driving over in my van- I have no idea how far along it will be, but it'll do! It just might be a nice shell by then... Every time I think about what needs to be done, I remind myself how little I know how to do!

At the previous RTR's, Members would help others doing builds.  They are getting so big now, that a large number of participants are unknowns.  One thing is sure.  You will see hundreds of different ways to put a round peg in a square hole.  :D

ValerieP said:
I'm driving over in my van- I have no idea how far along it will be, but it'll do! It just might be a nice shell by then... Every time I think about what needs to be done, I remind myself how little I know how to do!

Keep watching those You Tube videos . watch how 5 people do it and learn .....you might want to remind yourself how much you can do , and/ or what you can barter to get done ....what is your strongpoint......
One bite at a time :)

ValerieP said:
I'm driving over in my van- I have no idea how far along it will be, but it'll do! It just might be a nice shell by then...

You and me both, sister!  I am hoping that my rate of progress picks up when it's no longer 90-100 degrees outside.  Such a beating to work in the van when it's hot.

This will be my first RTR or trip to Quartzite in January for that matter. I am interested in attending what ever events have the campgrounds or companies looking for workers. I know it overlaps with RTR, but I am not sure if it is the RV show starting before RTR or the one that finishes after RTR? Anybody able to tell me?

I'm not 100% certain on this, but I believe Bob schedules the RTR so that it more or less overlaps the big RV show.

A main topic has always been work camping and covered very thoroughly I always felt the RV show coincided with the RTR .