2015 Dodge Challenger Conversoin

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in the day I spent a night or three in the back seat of my 67 Olds 442.  I'm thinking I had a bit more room to work with though.
What an interesting concept, turning a late model Challenger RT into a camper?   :p

Hello Everyone, 
   Id would like to give an update. I have been sleeping in the dodge challenger for the past 3 weeks. It has been very comfortable and very rewarding. I am doing this because I am in the last months of my graduate school studies and I need to stay close to work and focus all my attention on work till I am through. Luckily my school has showers and meal preparation areas and a fridge I can use, I also have a desk where I can keep some things. My work is very hands on so I usually change when I get to work into my work clothes which makes it easier to keep my clothes clean and look presentable. I have attached a schematic of approximately how the layout looks, and it is actually quite spacious. I believe the dodge challenger is the longest 2 door coupe you can buy in the US right now. there is plenty of storage for all the things I need. I am still paying rent at my apartment, and I still keep most of my things there. I only keep with me clean clothes, snacks, and toiletries. All my work is doe indoors and I only use my car for sleeping and changing into clean clothes. I have a curtain and blacked out windows so I am completely comfortable and don't feel exposed at all. My car is black on black and looks very cool, so no one suspects a thing, and it is not suspicious at all that my rear window, and back side windows are all totally blacked out. Over all I am very happy with the experience, except for the cold temperatures. I have adapted to that by sleeping on several layers of foam, with a huge sheepskin to top it off. I have a few blankets, a sleeping bag wool socks and a beanie that ties under the chin to prevent it falling off in the night. Overall I am very pleased with the set up. I need to graduate. By living at work I know I am doing everything I can to get my project done. This reduces my stress and puts me in a better mood. I would like to note that I think I am probably abut the largest man that can comfortably pull this off. I am 5'9" and slender. If I was 6' tall, and heavier build, I don't think this is something I could do.

Attachments

• car life.png
    car life.png
    658.5 KB · Views: 42
good for you. good luck with school. btw love your avatar, Beep Beep. highdesertranger

That is amazing. Get some beefy tires and a two inch lift, you're officially the real mad max. Not much room, but as badass as that setup is (and as long as you're comfortable) who cares? Can't wait to see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

estedrawn said:
Here are the crude measurements of the empty space that was left after removing the rear seats: each attachment shows the space I was measuring and below it shows the measurement s I drew. I made them with a tape measure. I hope it makes sense. I also added a picture showing the plywood I purchased for this project. The plywood is 39"x50". That is a large storage area with the seats removed. i could have fit a piece of wood at least 60 inches i think, if not 70". I plan to design the sleeping platform using cardboard first, then cut it out of the plywood. It will have hinges to access a lower storage space. 
:cool:
Any updates on this build? I'
 Considering doing something like this on my hellcat just fun when I go on roadtrips.

Shibamyinu said:
Any updates on this build? I'
 Considering doing something like this on my hellcat just fun when I go on roadtrips.

Hello there,
   I would like to report that I have spent quite a few nights in my dodge challenger. It is a great place to hang out: free wifi, heater, air conditioner, 375 horsepower engine, 160 Watt alternator, charge laptops, charge flashlights, charge phones, sleep two people, carry cargo, have fun go camping. I can attach more pictures soon.
-estedrawn

Latest posts