2014 Chevy Express Explorer (Identity Issues)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 25174

Reaction score
Hello folks,
You read it right, my van's getting on in years, and has developed an identity issue - or two.
First-off, I bought it new: 2014 Chevrolet Express Explorer LS Edition
Seems I've been asked a dozen times if it's a Chevy, and why the Explorer? 
Because it's built by Explorer Van Warsaw, IN. I reply.
It is NOT designed for doing much more than very comfy riding.
There is a double bed/bench seat rear - however I learned the hard way that with the 2 middle seats in, there's but a few inches between them to exit the bed, and go forward in the cab. Middle of the night potty run was a close one!

With traveling in mind, my girl, and me had crossed the US twice - zig-zagged to, and from a few more.
I even removed the middle seats to take it "camping" a time or two. Storing them in my garage.

A day came when we just said that's enough, and off I went!

I got me this here bad a_ _ van, and I'll show her I don't need all that .. stuff in that house .. in storage .. oh no! in back of my van too?

That was then .. a couple years ago, and failure was inevitable.

So I am determined to live a life of freedom, and wish to join your numbers.
In order for me to  -- at least -- have room to stand up I am going to have to remove 2 leather high back captains chairs that swivel, and either swap them for the fronts - a bit worn but fully functional - every option seats, or remove them each time I wish to spend any time in the back.
I've looked around here in the east valley - Chandler, AZ, and seem to run into shops that want to do a complete interior, and I cannot afford that.

I know I sound like yet another who doesn't wanna' part with his "stuff" .. but I honestly do, just don't know how.
Still shooting for Aug. 5 for the great escape ..
'Till then.
Keith_in_AZ

You're tearing my heart out having to drive such an ancient vehicle.  I drive a 2004.  I do hope you get out there as soon as you can.

Did ya make it??

I have a 1999 high top Chevy Express Conversion. :) It's bad ass. I'm loving it more.. tv and all.. lol (To me it's all just more to drain the battery.. but? Maybe i'll pay camp for some 110 sometimes.) I took out the center seats.. MYSELF.. It sounded like that scene in 'When Harry Met Sally" at the restaurant on that last bolt.. but I did it!

I was to have completed the necessary items required for The State Industrial Commission, and now told I have not.
This has me grounded - for a few weeks it seems.
My disability is from falling down stairs in my office of all places.
The 3 surgeries since, have left me "fused" from tailbone to shoulder blades.
I am to do more physical therapy, and jeez .. another MRI before I can be released to travel status.
Meantime, I'm diligently looking for items I'll need to begin with.
Coffee maker, heater, spare battery (need help on this one).
Warm stuff, etc. The rest I'll figure out as it goes.
Thank you for your help!