2005 Chevy Astro- Good deal?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahanlon13

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I need some opinions on a couple of chevy astro cargo vans. I found one a few weeks ago, took it for a test drive and got a pre purchase inspection done by a mechanic- it was a 2001 with only 62,000 miles on it. Unfortunately there was some body rust, and a list of other things wrong with it (pinion seal leaking, breaks just passing, tires meh, break line needed fixing), and the owner wouldn't drop below $3000, so I passed.

Now I've found one with more miles (164,000), but it's in much better shape with new tires, new battery, new alternator. I haven't seen it in person yet, but I'm wondering if it's worth $3,900. Kelley Blue Book's range goes up to $3500. Should I keep looking or try to talk him down a bit?

I'm hoping to drive from the east coast to the west and travel a bit, staying south in the winter and moving further north in the summer. I want to live in the van full time.

Thank you for your help!

sarahanlon13 said:
I've found one with more miles (164,000), but it's in much better shape with new tires, new battery, new alternator. I haven't seen it in person yet
Actually its condition is still unknown.

That's a lot of miles IMO.

Have you considered starting your journey before buying the van?

Better off IMO looking in dry places that don't salt the roads? usually lower prices there too.

Are you planning on doing the work yourself if it needs it? Also in certain areas they might be worth more or less so you might be able to make a trip and pick one up that's cheaper and in better condition.

John61CT said:
Actually its condition is still unknown.

That's a lot of miles IMO.

Have you considered starting your journey before buying the van?

Better off IMO looking in dry places that don't salt the roads?  usually lower prices there too.

I can't start the journey without the vehicle unfortunately. I was living in LA, sold my car before I left to head back east for the holidays and I've been driving my brothers old lemon around which won't make it very far. I was considering flying out to LA first and staying with a friend for a few days and finding a rust free van out there. But then I can't register the vehicle in NJ where my base address is at the moment.

YukonHo! said:
Are you planning on doing the work yourself if it needs it? Also in certain areas they might be worth more or less so you might be able to make a trip and pick one up that's cheaper and in better condition.

No a mechanic would be doing the work for me. I've been looking all around. Either they're in super good condition for $6500+ or they're in "good" or "fair" condition and between $3,000 & $5,000. Below $3,000 I haven't found many.

sarahanlon13 said:
then I can't register the vehicle in NJ where my base address is at the moment.
two birds with one stone, rebase yourself

Can anyone name any state worse than Jersey for residency and registration?

Getting a better rust-free platform at a lower price (not LA) is IMO worth the extra hassle and transpo costs.

Driving cross country's not cheap either.

Big plus, getting warm faster!

John61CT said:
two birds with one stone, rebase yourself

Can anyone name any state worse than Jersey for residency and registration?

Getting a better rust-free platform at a lower price (not LA) is IMO worth the extra hassle and transpo costs.

Driving cross country's not cheap either.

Big plus, getting warm faster!

I'd prefer to not have Jersey as my residency base, but it's where my family is- I know I'll be visiting there a couple times a year... I don't know where I'll end up and unfortunately need an address for car registration, health insurance, etc.

Plenty of threads discussing the best states for those purposes, and they're almost all dry hot places with van prices maybe thousands of dollars lower.

No need to actually live there, and easy enough to change later if needed.

I'll stop now, long as you know your options.

John61CT said:
Plenty of threads discussing the best states for those purposes, and they're almost all dry hot places with van prices maybe thousands of dollars lower.

No need to actually live there, and easy enough to change later if needed.

I'll stop now, long as you know your options.

could you direct me to any? I've been searching with no luck

I've seen several real nice Astro vans for sale in my area. (near Florida)

Latest posts