2001 Chevrolet Express 2500 - "Chief Dave"

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesummm! Thank you so much!
However, my configuration does not look like that at all!

Of course, right? Anyway thx again.

Still looking for the magic place, but maybe I can research more...

Not really a build update but I will be looking into security upgrades for the van soon after being broken into whilst parked in the city. Both my bikes were stolen plus a few other things. Of course I'm pretty bummed out and it definitely puts a damper on how I feel about having things / being in the van. Suggestions?

Tom

highdesertranger said:
bummer Tom,  is there anyway you could move out of the area?  highdesertranger

Yeah, that was the first thing I did as there was lots of stuff they left behind and I was worried they might return. Took my granola bars though and ate a couple / left wrappers on my bed which felt pretty invasive. There were lots of things I could have done better so I just want to do what I should already have done for the future.

Nice Journeyman tradesman skills! I thought your starting-with photo was pretty nice, personally  :(

Lz3sCWa.jpg

Vanada said:
Not really a build update but I will be looking into security upgrades for the van soon after being broken into whilst parked in the city. Both my bikes were stolen plus a few other things. Of course I'm pretty bummed out and it definitely puts a damper on how I feel about having things / being in the van. Suggestions?

Tom

Such a bummer! I *hate* thieves!

How did they gain entry?  

On my van I am planning on replacing the locks so they cannot be popped, adding glass breakage/motion alarms, and adding a Ravelco device. 

It is a truly a PITA, but if someone really wants the van or the stuff in it they will find a way. You simply cannot secure it well enough.   :mad:

My goal is to make it harder to break into than another van in the area. (And have good insurance).

ColoRockiesFan said:
Such a bummer! I *hate* thieves!

How did they gain entry?  

On my van I am planning on replacing the locks so they cannot be popped, adding glass breakage/motion alarms, and adding a Ravelco device. 

It is a truly a PITA, but if someone really wants the van or the stuff in it they will find a way. You simply cannot secure it well enough.   :mad:

My goal is to make it harder to break into than another van in the area. (And have good insurance).

I think they just jiggled the tumbler. Those old locks can be opened with another key sometimes. I had checked everything the evening before and am 99% certain I locked and checked the doors before walking away but there's always that 1%. At least I didn't have a broken window or busted lock to deal with which was polite of them.