20 pounds of poop on the street -- is this us?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dingfelder

Reaction score
That's what I couldn't help thinking immediately when I heard about this ...

"A foul odor permeated from a massive bag of human excrement sludge left on a street corner in San Francisco's Tenderloin district Saturday.

The horrendous smell and sight quickly gained notoriety when a Reddit user posted a screen shot of a report made to San Francisco's Citizen app for identifying crimes.

"Twenty pounds of feces dumped onto sidewalk," the report called out...."

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/San-Francisco-human-waste-feces-homeless-Reddit-13044317.php

... honestly it seemed like the most likely possibility to me ...

Edited to add a brief description of the link. Required, according to forum guidelines. ~ cyndi

It's San Fransisco. That says it all.

The article just below that was needle cleanup. I thought, "Cool. Finally a feel good story looking for volunteers to clean up pine needles at a local park. I've never seen an article like that from that cesspool of a city." You know what it was? Syringes. Needles from drug use. I didn't read that article, but I hope they don't blame people like us for that one, too.

Pine needles, really?

Must have led a very sheltered life so far.

Discarded needles have been a common litter problem in nearly every big city in the world, for many decades now.

That needle thing was an easy one coming from San Fransisco; I should have know in right off the bat in that context. I grew up seeing, and still see, things like volunteering to rake up needles in the park. I grew up and still live in the mountains which happen to have lots of needles. I wouldn't say I live a sheltered life because I don't visit or live in a cesspool of a large city, but my first reactions are based on the life I live. Even though I like idioms, they are kind of tough for me, too. When someone says, "Grab a chair," I'll look for a chair to pick up and carry with me instead of sitting down. Idioms are for the birds.

Alas, as I always say, there's no need for conspiracy theories to explain why so many cities ban us. We are, as a group, our own worst enemy.

:(

"20 pounds of poop on the street -- is this us? " This not us. There is definitely a difference between CRVLing members and people living in their vehicles out of complete desperation with no prior planning and no knowledge of how to do things the right way or how to take advantage of all the opportunities for a better life that doesn't involve parking on the street in a large city. The sad part is that we could help many of them if only they were aware of the existence of this site.

^^^ Sadly, we all get lumped together anyway. In the minds of most people, there's no difference between us.

So it's always a tiny handful of shitheads who cause all the problems, and we all end up getting the blame for it.

A medical convention was just cancelled a while back because of San Francisco's drug and homeless problem.
Some like to think that all who come here are as pure as the driven snow, but the truth is people who come here can be pigs as well.
At the last RTR was there people who had to clean up after others?

People who live in vehicles come from varied situations. The intoxicated, ignorant, lazy, and crazy, are not excluded from this life style, or this forum.

DannyB, well written. Sloth, ignorance, mental illness, etc. runs across all demographics. It takes work to apply scrutiny to a situation and put it all in context then hold those individuals accountable. It's much easier to generally blame a group or even an inanimate object.

I think it's a bit weird for a homeless person to save up a couple months worth of shit & then drop it off in front of a homeless shelter. Especially when it's a photo posted by a user with a bunch of anti-homeless posts/comments. Just seems off

perj28 said:
I think it's a bit weird for a homeless person to save up a couple months worth of shit & then drop it off in front of a homeless shelter. Especially when it's a photo posted by a user with a bunch of anti-homeless posts/comments. Just seems off
Which is why it's possible it was someone in a mobile dwelling who misinterpreted the "just use a bag in a bucket" method.

But imo more likely a case of mental illness poor bugger.

My guess would be that it is a community group that was fed up with the poop being left in front of their homes and decided to collect and 'return' it.

^^^ Ironic, ain't it? One of the most crucial advances made by "civilization" was "sanitation", to keep our sewage off the streets.

And now here we are, shitting all over ourselves again.

SF has a serious lack of public restrooms and no dump site at all for RVs. The closest one is in HMB and costs $15 to use. Excuse the pun, but the city set themselves up for this crap.

Well now we know what kind of protest get their attention!

I read the other day that San Francisco has started a poop Squad of half a dozen or so employees to go around and address the problem

Latest posts