$20 Kerosene Stove (Heater?)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Proper ventilation you should not have a problem Kero has a distinctive odor, you would be surprised to know haw many homes are using Kerosine for heating worldwide, Give it a shot I wonder if putting a fire brick on top would harness some dry heat?

What's a fire brick? Just any brick at home depot? Would this be better than say, boiling a pot of water to retain the heat?

Ventilation: say in a conversion van, would cracking one of the small, square windows be enough while trying to not let too much cold air in? I've got a dorm freezer right by the side door, under this square window that I can use as a counter where I'll put this stove.

If you boil a pot of water inside the vehicle as part of your heating system, I would think you'd have lot of built-up moisture inside the car from the steam.  Everything is going to get wet.  

Are you using the full-sized Mr. Buddy, or the mini model?

When you build a kiln or fireplace you use special bricks that can take the heat a fire puts out.

You can actually turn the buddy down below the "low" setting. Depress the knob like you are turning it off and ease it back to the desired position.

if you have to keep turning it on, your insulation is lacking. fire brick is special type of brick that lines the inside of fireplaces. it can take extreme heat. highdesertranger

I have one of those kerosene wick stoves. It does put out an odor. Maybe think about burning low odor mineral spirits in it. 

The problem is your heater has a higher BTU rating than what you need for your situation. They do make smaller BTU propane heaters. 

Another option is get an old catalytic propane heater off of EBAY. I just bought one that is 1,000 to 3,000 BTU. http://www.ebay.com/itm/282113809101?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

One of my customers uses liquid wax in her hurricane lamps, I'll have to see what it smells like.

BigT said:
If you boil a pot of water inside the vehicle as part of your heating system, I would think you'd have lot of built-up moisture inside the car from the steam.  Everything is going to get wet.  

Are you using the full-sized Mr. Buddy, or the mini model?

It's the full size. I was thinking about the Mini Buddy, but it doesn't have the low oxygen function to trigger off.

there are three sizes small, medium, large. some people just leave the pilot on to maintain the temp. highdesertranger

I've used a kerosene lantern to effectively heat my abode in the past. ..Willy.

Willy said:
I've used a kerosene lantern to effectively heat my abode in the past. ..Willy.

Pressure or wick lantern?  I would imagine simple flue could increase heat dispersal as well as exhaust the fumes.  

If I remember correctly I measured the top of cold-blast wick lanterns at about 200F and pressure lanterns at over 400F.  Some of the European models (petromax and variants) have fittings that allow you to cook on them!

DannyB1954 said:
I have one of those kerosene wick stoves. It does put out an odor. Maybe think about burning low odor mineral spirits in it. 

All kero smells a bit, but excessive smell may indicated a clogged airway or wick wear/adjustment issues.

Mineral spirits in a kero device is not advised as the flash point is too low;  this can result in runaway fires and sometimes explosions.  Here is some good info, admittedly from a lantern point of view.

frater secessus said:
Mineral spirits in a kero device is not advised as the flash point is too low;  this can result in runaway fires and sometimes explosions.  Here is some good info, admittedly from a lantern point of view.

I got my info from http://www.milesstair.com/kero_fuel_primer.html#Mineral   in part it says, [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The best fuel for metal font center draft lamps in my opinion is Low Odor Mineral Spirits, as it costs less than 1-K clear kerosene and burns unbelievably cleaner, so clean the wicks seldom even need to be trimmed.  Some specialty center draft wicks are made for me in low quantities and are thus expensive, so this is an important factor!  In center draft and Kosmoslamps (with metal fonts), you will be amazed at the quality of the burn and the lack of any char on the wick.  Unlike kerosene which precipitates paraffin, Low Odor Mineral Spirits are absolutely pure and leave a font perfectly clean and clear.  I was tipped on this fuel by the Amish, who have used it for decades for their "kerosene" lamps.[/font] 

It does also say [size=medium][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Low Odor Mineral Spirits should [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]not[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] be used in [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]lanterns or flat wick lamps[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] - just [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]larger metal fount center draft lamps[/font][/font][/size]

[size=medium]This site also has opinions on it from people who have used it https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=10&f=17&t=641932 one of the opinions says [font=tahoma, arial]some "low odor mineral spirits" have flash points around 104ºF... others much higher.
[/font][/size]

[font=tahoma, arial]It seems these lanterns/lamps should be operated with fuel that has a flash point between 124-150ºF. [/font]

One could always store their stove in a metal can, (like a coffee can or clean gallon paint can), then to extinguish any problem drop the can upside down over the stove. Some people mix the two fuels, (kerosene and low odor mineral spirits). I never heard of an explosion. Maybe you could reference a source for that info?

I did some more research and found that kerosene can have a flash point anywhere from 100 to 150 degrees https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerosene so not that different than low odor mineral spirits. The lower flashpoint fuels are not recommended for flat wick lanterns. These tend to have loose fitting wicks that allow vapors to bypass the wick. The kerosene stoves that we are talking about are not flat wick. There is a chart of various flash points here, http://webpages.charter.net/edennis/Files/Fuelsfont.html
There is an informative discussion here, http://www.colemancollectorsforum.com/post/kerosene-klean-heat-question-5663087
some people mix kerosene and low odor mineral spirits to get a clean economical burn.
I have not found a source for a low odor mineral spirit explosion. Air would need to be mixed with the fuel vapors. If the fuel is evaporating from the liquid, it would displace any air that was inside of the fuel tank. Maybe someone can provide me with a link before I blow myself to pieces.

I tried coleman fuel, (which is actually Nafta), in the kerosene wick stove and found it too volatile. No run away flames, but one of the vent holes from the storage tank did catch fire, (no explosion). I guess I will get some kerosene and low odor mineral spirits and try different mixtures. Some recommend 25% low odor, 75% kerosene. If it works out, I can store the stove in a clean paint can and if there is a problem just turn the can upside down and put it over the stove. One thing to note is that mineral spirits and low odor mineral spirits are two different things. Never use regular mineral spirits. Some of it's components burn dirty and are more volatile. I will update what I find.

frater secessus said:
Pressure or wick lantern?  I would imagine simple flue could increase heat dispersal as well as exhaust the fumes.  

If I remember correctly I measured the top of cold-blast wick lanterns at about 200F and pressure lanterns at over 400F.  Some of the European models (petromax and variants) have fittings that allow you to cook on them!

I was using a blue Deitz hurricane lantern. I used it for keeping my tent toasty warm while camping on snow in the winter and to keep my camperette warm up in Springerville during a winter stay. ..Willy.

Notice the title in the listing.....
Portable OUTDOOR 8 Wicks Kerosene Camping Stove-FIREWHEEL #138

I capitalized outdoor for you. Use accordingly.

Dave

djkeev said:
Notice the title in the listing.....
Portable OUTDOOR 8 Wicks Kerosene Camping Stove-FIREWHEEL #138

I capitalized outdoor for you. Use accordingly.

Dave

Yeah, I thought about that too. Not sure if they meant that as a safety/liability thing. Seems many of the China stuff has a ton of blanket type, warning labels nowadays. I spilled kerosene in the van before and it wasn't fun. I need to figure out a good base to set it on and to also catch kerosene that's bound to spill a little.