2 vans - promising or not?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnknownNobody

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new here, and have been going through many of the posts trying to absorb as much knowledge as I can. I'm currently looking for a cargo van to make my new home and have found two which I wanted to show and see if they are worth pursuing:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/4929514432.html

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/4929756562.html

The second vehicle is a Chevy Express with higher mileage although the transmissions system was replaced.
Please excuse my ignorance as I don't know much about cars (yet).

Best regards

wow both look good, I was thinking about getting a cargo van, a blank slate to customize however I want. But then by the time I had the money it was the middle of winter in Michigan, so I just bought a 1997 conversion van. Good luck on whichever you choose. I am new here and man there is a ton of info on this site, I am so happy to have found my way here! Peaceful evening.

Yup 202K miles is way too much for me too. I bought my Ford E150 1999 for $2200cdn with 132,000 miles.

well I like chevy's however I see a couple of red flags on this one. first it says "never beat on" but there are dings all over, missing both front hub caps. it says "trans was replaced", with what? it has the small v-8 not good for a 3/4 ton auto. on the plus side it has a ladder rack and interior cabinets that can be sold. I would be very cautious with the chevy. on the other hand the dodge looks clean imo worth looking into. highdesertranger

I'm with high desert stranger on this one. Same reasons. That Chevy has been a work van most of it's life. I don't what that guy says. Work vans get hard use.
It is very hard to find a cargo van much cleaner than that dodge; they get used up on the the job usually.

I vote the Dodge too. Seems like a good deal whether it is a 6 cyl or 8cyl. But if it is a 6 cyl some think it is under powered. The 318 engine was bullet proof for me when I owned a Dodge....couldn't kill that engine but the MPG was lower than others. If I had my choice I'd get the 8 cyl since you'll be adding a fair amount of weight rigging it out. Also I noticed it only had the rear windows so being able to look outside before exiting the cargo area will be reduced.

All things being equal, I would go with the Dodge. Twice as many miles? Definitely go with the Dodge.

PS: I'm super excited for you!! I don't have any of the skills necessary to convert a van to a home. Go you!

Thanks a ton for the advice, it is super helpful. I will follow up on the Dodge - only one way to find out its real condition, and that is to scope it out in person and drive it around.
I appreciate the link to another thread regarding buying a van for the first time. Also the tip about having rear windows so you can see outside before exiting the cargo area is a good one, I would not have thought of that, and I think those are the kinds of things one learns from experience. I was wondering what a good general threshold would be regarding mileage, beyond which I should do my best to avoid buying - it's good to get a better picture of this from you all.
I'm hoping to find something with a v8, let's see what happens.
Thanks again!

I'm van shopping, now. I've been shopping since the summer of 2013. So I may be pickier than some.

The highest I would go mileage-wise is 118,000.

Random, right?
Meh, whatever. I pulled a number out of the hat when I started shopping. I might go over that for the right van.

cyndi said:
I'm van shopping, now. I've been shopping since the summer of 2013. So I may be pickier than some.

The highest I would go mileage-wise is 118,000.

Random, right?
Meh, whatever. I pulled a number out of the hat when I started shopping. I might go over that for the right van.

I like your style, my mileage number is 122,348 ;)
What kind of van are you looking for?
Good luck in your search! Or I should probably say, make your own good luck, as that is a more accurate description of how luck works.

I vote for the Dodge. I'd ask the owner how it was used, my guess is it was hauling dry cleaning or flowers or something else that's clean and light. I'll bet that van could give you 5 years of good service, maybe more. You'll want to put a high top on it eventually (so you can stand up in it), and personally I'd insist on cruise control (but that's just my preference).