2-Person Van Conversion

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very few couples travel in a van, so you won't find much info. My girlfriend and I drove 10,000 miles last year in her van to and from Alaska. It wasn't easy! If we had an extended van it would have been much better! Here is how we built the bed:
http://www.cheaprvliving.com/blog/couple-van-building-bed/

These 4 drawer storage units were the key to our staying organized. See the whole post here:
http://images.cheaprvliving.com/drwr-front.jpg

drwr-front.jpg

This is a simplistic view of our layout. The foam mattress was cut so it could fold out over the 5 gallon bucket or be tucked underneath and be sat on. The 5 gallon bucket slid under the bed during the day allowing us into the 4-drawer unit. We had a very comfortable seat between the two front seats. See the post for an explanation
captubed-diagrame.jpg

This hitch haul and large, locking contractors box were critical to our fitting into the van. I wouldn't go without it!!

hh-license-plate.jpg

We lived and traveled for a year in a Vanagon which is a lot smaller than an extended van so two people living in a van is possible even if it's a bit crowded. Vanagons have a nice, large, comfortable bed that folds up into a tolerably comfortable couch. I don't know if you can find one with the working mechanical parts in a junk yard. Maybe ebay? Here are some pictures of a home built bed - http://www.tosimplify.net/2013/06/sofa-bed.html#more  http://www.tosimplify.net/p/rig.html

I camp with the wife and two big dogs in a low top extended E350. A month at a time, traveling.

My first set-up was a fold up bed (we never folded) because we needed the underside storage. Now bed platform is fixed. Queen sized 8" futon, yes it's a little too wide, just forms a headrest at the top. ($69 eBay)

It makes all the difference if your living "in the van" or out of the van. (as in camping.) Weather is a big factor. Table, chairs and an awning become the living room.

I also have hi-top envy......

Oh and yes. Crawling over someone to get in and out sucks. Use back door for exit.

Thanks everyone. This thread has been very helpful. For one, I am positive we should get a high top. I'm also feeling pretty good that the first floor plan I put together is in line with what others have made work. I will post pics once I've made some adjustments

Skyl4rk,
I ruled out the step-up trucks due to the seating. For one they don't have comfortable seating for 2 people plus they look really uncomfortable. Would be great if you didn't intend to travel much.

Ok, so here's what I put together as a rough design for an extended Ford E-series van

[img=700x349]http://errantknightphotography.smugmug.com/photos/i-pVndQ49/1/O/i-pVndQ49.jpg[/img]
This is the base I started with for a Ford E-250 Extended Cargo Van. 70" x 126".
I have 1" of Polysio insulation and 1/4" paneling. I have some 2" foam for the ceiling.
We may or may not go with more insulation. We'll be following the temperate weather, 
so we should be avoiding the extremely low tens and when we do hit them we'll be able to sleep indoors.
[img=700x349]http://errantknightphotography.smugmug.com/photos/i-5zZKpjg/1/O/i-5zZKpjg.jpg[/img]
This is the base framing for the bed and floor cabinet. I'm not sure where we will be storing food yet. 
We might put the food where the clothes are and put clothes in the upper cabinets
The blue storage containers can either be accessed from above or pulled out along the floor.
[img=700x349]http://errantknightphotography.smugmug.com/photos/i-gTTDsqj/1/O/i-gTTDsqj.jpg[/img]
This is the next layer which shows the sink, counter top and storage access.
The plan is to set up some kind of system where we can prop up the storage hatches on either the front or back 
so we can sit up and relax looking out the back of the van or to watch the projection screen we'll have on the from 
wall. We'll have a projector on the ceiling.
[img=700x341]http://errantknightphotography.smugmug.com/photos/i-TsndrKc/1/O/i-TsndrKc.jpg[/img]
Same as earlier, but with a full size mattress with to scale models of me and my wife. Looks a little tight.
We might go with a custom sized foam mattress that would be a few inches wider.

What do you think? any suggestions?

Do you mean I have too much stuff, or that I'm not accounting for everything we'll actually be bringing?
With the exception of the air conditioner this is almost identical to the layout a previous post linked to. And I'm having second thoughts about the AC - not sure we'll need it.

There will also be storage shelves above the bed area if that makes a difference.

I think with two people traveling for a year you will bring a lot more stuff than you have organization and storage for in this design. But, maybe I'm wrong, everyone is different.

What we got tired of was having to dig for everything when we needed it, and we had most things in our 4-drawer storage units so it was pretty handy. I think you are too reliant on underbed storage.

You'll need to be extreme minimalists to make it work.
Bob

You may be right. We can make adjustments as we get closer. I'm not convinced that we will need running water. We'll have to balance our need for storage with our desire to wash dishes and brush our teeth without having to carry it elsewhere. Cutting out the sink and the waste water container would open more space for storage. I have a 5 gallon rubbermaid cooler that I considered using for water.

Over the years I've become pretty good at getting 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb bag, So I think I'll figure something out. I think it'll be easier once I have the actual van.
I'm hoping the van I found on craigslist will still be available after my taxes come in because it has a really big high top on it which will let us go vertical with a lot of stuff.

I do need to figure out a spot for garbage and dirty laundry.

Just a quick note on your layout. Ford vans are not straight, either vertically or horizontally. So if you make your layout fit to the exact inch at the floor, it will not fit. I found this out the hard way helping someone else, and since have read other's mention it. Just something to keep in mind. I like your layout overall. you'll just have to pare down to the minimum when it comes to stuff. I used a 5 gallon Igloo cooler when I first built my trailer, and still use it for drinking water, only using the 7 gallons under the counter for washing. It worked out great. I travel with it strapped to the front cupboard on the floor, but I think I'm going too try mounting it solidly on top of the counter. I don't think it will effect the center of gravity much, especially with everything else that's heavy down low.

In 13 years of vandwelling, I've never had running water and don't miss it at all.

A simple garden spray bottle will clean your toothbrush extremely well. Dishes can be washed by warming up water in the pot you used. I don't even do that. I wash dishes by:

1) I just wipe my dishes out,
2) spray them with water from the spray bottle,
3) wipe them again (repeat until clean)
4) Give them a final rinse with a spray bottle full of white vinegar. It's too acidic for bacteria to survive it and does you no harm.

Elaborate meals are probably too much to hope for. You won't have room for lots of ingredients and pots.

Three things everything you take must be:

1: Essential, you can't live without it
2: Extremely Simple
2) Multi-purpose

We all define those in different ways, but you must make it your goal with every item. Running water fails #1 and #2. I replace that huge amount of space with a spray bottle of water, a spray bottle of white vinegar and a roll of paper towels. They all pass the three tests and take almost no space.

Bob

Matt - am in a similar situation.

1) old RV needs aggressive inspection. You will need training in how to inspect it. Any water leaks mean damage. Mold will grow hidden. Also rust happens to damage frame and structure with just humidity.

2) two people lifestyle will need lots of practice. If you get something small you will still need bicycles to get around. Or as others say get a class C and tow a small car. Do you want to live with bicycles ? Healthiest people do. Its a lifestyle option.

3). You can also consider the teardrop trailer lifestyle. They can be towed by a normal car. And left at a campsite. Its a different way but done by some.

Matt - you may also need training in how to minimize your lifestyle as a couple. Bob as a master of dwelling has the real view on what you need, so read everything as gospel (lol). But is this what you want? Effectively can you live like a backpacker. With just clothes and food and memories?

I have in my Dodge High Top a memory foam mattress from www.foamfactory.com. I bought the top of the line High Density Foam (5 inch base) with the High Density 5 pound memory foam (4" thick) and it's very comfortable. Better than my bed at home. I would recommend that combo to anyone who likes a firm mattress. Also, the memory foam does not harden in cold weather like other cheaper foams.

You can order it in any size you like.