1999 RoadTrek - $12500 (Vancouver wa)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJPDX

Reaction score
Add solar, remove some of the fluff and go..?

Thoughts from the brain trust?

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/5615189561.html

1999 Dodge v8
condition: excellent
cylinders: 8 cylinders
drive: fwd
fuel: gas
odometer: 161000
paint color: white
title status: salvage
transmission: automatic
type: van

"Hi

1999 roadTrek class B 190 motor home.
In really Good condition inside and out, dodge v8 auto transmission
160 k - salvage title.

No smoking, no pets, always service on time, good tires, No leaks no cracks.

Two twin beds in the bedroom or one queen size, front chairs recline in to twin beds as well, good for 4 adults. AC, heater, power locks, windows all works, clean no stain carpet., no smell. Good size refrigerator , closet, shower.
If interested come check it out.

Very nice and comfortable to go traveling, camping, fishing and enjoying great nature. "

Salvage title?  Find the story on that.  It could make a huge difference.

This is one I have seen and cannot believe they're asking that for such.

A "Salvage" title is due to repairs exceeding value of the vehicle. So this vehicle may have had "Questionable" repairs done....

I'd really want a carfax on this vehicle.....

Also realize these can be sold at auction and the buyer pays pennies.

But yes, go to a mech for a full look over.....

How can they say the condition is "Excellent" when it has a salvage title??  Clearly it's not in excellent condition.  
Along with the CarFax report, I'd want to see the estimate for the repairs they got and an explanation of exactly what happened to give it the salvage title.  
And 160K miles is nothing to sneeze at.  That's a lot of use!  

Even if the seller was able to thoroughly explain the title issues, no way would I pay $12,500 for it!  That's ridiculous!  
With a salvage title it should be about half what it would go for with a clean title.

Keep in mind that you may want to sell it one day, and with a salvage title, and the additional miles you put on, you might have a hard time finding a sucker, I mean buyer, who's willing to pay you anything close to that much for it.

BigT said:
How can they say the condition is "Excellent" when it has a salvage title??  Clearly it's not in excellent condition.  
Along with the CarFax report, I'd want to see the estimate for the repairs they got and an explanation of exactly what happened to give it the salvage title.  
And 160K miles is nothing to sneeze at.  That's a lot of use!  

Even if the seller was able to thoroughly explain the title issues, no way would I pay $12,500 for it!  That's ridiculous!  
With a salvage title it should be about half what it would go for with a clean title.

Keep in mind that you may want to sell it one day, and with a salvage title, and the additional miles you put on, you might have a hard time finding a sucker, I mean buyer, who's willing to pay you anything close to that much for it.

Maybe, maybe not!

Fortunately, in Ontario they don't change the title to salvage!

Here's the scenario that would go completely against your reasoning:

I had a moose yearling run in to the side of my Safari mini van. He broke the drivers' side rear view mirror, shattered the drivers' side of the windshield and left a hoof print in the drivers' door and a butt print on the rear quarter panel.

The insurance company claimed that the damage was $2,900. on a vehicle that they appraised as only being worth $2,500. So they demanded that the vehicle be written off.

First there was no way in hell I could have replaced that van on the open market for $2,500. Maybe for $3,500 but not much less.

I took the $2,500. less the $100. 'scrap value fee' that they charged me. I bought a replacement rear view mirror from the closest scrap yard for $15.00. Took the van in to the local auto glass place who replaced the windshield and mounted the side mirror for me. I shopped around for a body shop to do the minor body work to it. I ended up with a guy who worked out of his own shop so I had to wait 6 weeks for him to slot me in. He loves to do full restoration jobs on classics but does regular body work to support the family.

Body work included full removal of all scratches, dings and small marks all the way around the whole van (not just the side that the moose hit) and then a paint job from the roof down and stone guarding the bottom for me.

I came out a couple hundred bucks to the good even after I rented a car while he fixed the van.

The van was in much better shape AFTER he finished with it than it had been 'before moose'.

Just because it has a 'salvage' title doesn't mean that it's not worth a penny (or even a bunch of pennies).

I wouldn't be so fast to completely dismiss the vehicle.

Almost There said:
Maybe, maybe not!

Fortunately, in Ontario they don't change the title to salvage!

Here's the scenario that would go completely against your reasoning:

I had a moose yearling run in to the side of my Safari mini van. He broke the drivers' side rear view mirror, shattered the drivers' side of the windshield and left a hoof print in the drivers' door and a butt print on the rear quarter panel.

The insurance company claimed that the damage was $2,900. on a vehicle that they appraised as only being worth $2,500. So they demanded that the vehicle be written off.

First there was no way in hell I could have replaced that van on the open market for $2,500. Maybe for $3,500 but not much less.

I took the $2,500. less the $100. 'scrap value fee' that they charged me. I bought a replacement rear view mirror from the closest scrap yard for $15.00. Took the van in to the local auto glass place who replaced the windshield and mounted the side mirror for me. I shopped around for a body shop to do the minor body work to it. I ended up with a guy who worked out of his own shop so I had to wait 6 weeks for him to slot me in. He loves to do full restoration jobs on classics but does regular body work to support the family.

Body work included full removal of all scratches, dings and small marks all the way around the whole van (not just the side that the moose hit) and then a paint job from the roof down and stone guarding the bottom for me.

I came out a couple hundred bucks to the good even after I rented a car while he fixed the van.

The van was in much better shape AFTER he finished with it than it had been 'before moose'.

Just because it has a 'salvage' title doesn't mean that it's not worth a penny (or even a bunch of pennies).

I wouldn't be so fast to completely dismiss the vehicle.

I don't understand how the insurance company gives you money and still lets you keep the vehicle????  I've had 2 cars totaled because the repair costs were estimated to be more than the cars were worth (less than $4000) and in both cases I was required to surrender the vehicle to get the insurance money.  This was USAA auto insurance.  Maybe other insurances don't care?  I know that USAA then goes ahead and sells the vehicles for scrap, all the parts and pieces and makes most of that money back.  So other insurances just give you money?  Wow!  Am I misunderstanding how it works?

Check the state where the salvage title came from. If it was Oregon (it's in Vancouver, WA now, just across the river from Portland, OR), Oregon is one of the 11 states that uses the salvage title to identify stolen vehicles that aren't recovered by police within 21 days; the insurance company then just declares the vehicle a total loss, and pays off the owner. There is an entry in Wikipedia that says this, but I heard it a few years ago from a RR engineer. No personal experience.

People keep saying the prices of some of the vehicles shown in this forum are too high, but please keep in mind that prices for nearly everything are higher in states with higher wages (WA min. wage = $9.47/hr; OR = $9.25; CA = $10.00) than they are in lower-wage states (GA = $5.15; NC = $7.25). I'm sure you'll get a better deal on a RoadTrek if you're buying it in Georgia; but if you're selling it, you'll get a better price in California.

StarEcho said:
I don't understand how the insurance company gives you money and still lets you keep the vehicle????  I've had 2 cars totaled because the repair costs were estimated to be more than the cars were worth (less than $4000) and in both cases I was required to surrender the vehicle to get the insurance money.  This was USAA auto insurance.  Maybe other insurances don't care?  I know that USAA then goes ahead and sells the vehicles for scrap, all the parts and pieces and makes most of that money back.  So other insurances just give you money?  Wow!  Am I misunderstanding how it works?

I also have USAA.  My daughter had a TA due to hail damage.  They valued the car at $4250, and took $350 for the buy back. We got a check for $3900, and kept the car. You did not ask the right question.  It costs them to process the car out.  They just out right sell it off, as it is a bigger headache for them to part it out.

GotSmart said:
I also have USAA.  My daughter had a TA due to hail damage.  They valued the car at $4250, and took $350 for the buy back. We got a check for $3900, and kept the car. You did not ask the right question.  It costs them to process the car out.  They just out right sell it off, as it is a bigger headache for them to part it out.

Ha, I guess I got lucky! My insurance company only wanted a $100.00 for what they termed 'scrap value' - essentially what they calculated they would get from the scrap yard for it.

My father in law's S10 got 'totaled' from hail damage (busted windshield)
Mother in law bought it back and replaced the windshield, and her grandson is still using it