1997 E150 code P074

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyndi

Reaction score
I'd appreciate any input, here. thanks.

When I was in PA, in July, my service engine soon light came. Checked everything, adjusted the gas cap and it stayed on. Got to MA took it to Auto Zone the read the code as P074. 

"Ford P0171 & P0174 Lean Codes
Copyright AA1Car
A P0174 lean code for bank 2 is the cylinder bank on the LEFT (driver) side of the engine on Ford vehicles with a transverse-mounted V6 engine and front-wheel drive. This code is not set on four cylinder engines (no bank 2)."

Auto zone wanted to sell me a mass air flo sensor

It's sat all summer because I drive my little station wagon around. In prep to head west and south it's at a new-to-me mechanic. He says it could be any number of things, but if I want he will replace the mass air flo sensor. 

should I just have him reset the check engine light? replace that sensor (it's only 60 bucks)? or ?

Thanks, in advance for your advice. My current consultants are out to lunch or out to sea

Thanks, HDR! I'll check those out and ask the mechanic if he looked at any of that stuff

So, I misunderstood what the mechanic was trying to tell me. He was saying that it could be a number of things, he would check out the obvious culprits but if it was none of those not to worry about it. He didn't want me to spend a bunch of money on things that would maybe/maybe not fix the problem. He'll reset the check engine light, but it may come back on. I do hate that. As long as it gets me back out to the SW, I'll manage.

I had one of those 1999 and the check engine light came on stayed on I think they said maybe oxygen sensor or something. Drove it like that for a year , no problems, I is stressful when they come on though, not knowing if it a serious problem or not.

well at least the mechanic was not trying to retire off of you. highdesertranger

The "check engine light" is triggered by a small sensor monitoring, the computer's perameters, before check engine lights we had common sense. It is alarming to see this light for most and I have not seen it in years, I am pre computer in the Dodge and Toyota The V dub diesel.has not had an issue In the 2001 E350 I read the code wrote it down looked it up and ignored it. Never stranded

I had a check engine code indicating the catalytic converter was bad.  Went online to message boards for owners who said the code could mean everything from a plugged up exhaust to a dirty air filter, contrary to what Nissan  said.  Cleaned the air filter first and cleared the code.  It came back on about 1 week later.  Then I dumped 2 cans of fuel system cleaner in a full tank of gas (double the amount recommended) and cleared the code,  The check engine light has stayed off for over 6 months!

Vonbrown said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_flow_sensor

......so, if it gets dirty..........

there is a spray cleaner you can use. If that cures your problem, don't forget to change your air filter.

What HDR said.

Maybe you know someone Not far off of I-90 in NYS that might look at it if/when I drive through in October  :p

Cyndi, you are and will forever be welcomed into my camp! Hope to see you as you pass through. Stop in.

Ha! I knew that!

I'll keep you posted. haven't quite decided on my route. Depends on the weather. Planningon leaving 10/12ish. If it's already cold, you know I am headed straight south