1995 Dodge 2500 van conversion

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

susanjoans

Reaction score
Just beginning - trying to keep things really simply. I’m going to start with a jackery (I use a cpap and want to hit the road ASAP for weekend trips). 
This van in 1995 was luxury - there’s even a working dustbuster in the rear door. 
I’ve taken out the ancient tv and vcr. 
The back bench seat is electric and converts to a bed so I’m planning on topping it with a futon mattress and done!
Has anyone kept the original carpet in an old van? Is there any way I can utilize the old fuse box for the entertainment center?
Sooo many questions ?

Welcome Susan to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

I have a Dodge van also. I didn't build anything. I put stuff in here that fit. Works for me. I kept the carpet because it's insulated underneath and makes a big difference in keeping my feet warm. 

Ok, now that I'm admitting I did everything the wrong way, I suggest that the carpet is fine temporarily but it would be a really good idea to put something over it in case of spills etc. I also have plenty of ventilation so moisture doesn't build up underneath it. Not a problem in the desert though. 

I'm not sure what your old fuse box is. Mine was a 15 passenger van. I wouldn't mess with it as it's probably connected to the vehicle's electrical system and could cause you problems, one of them possibly being a dead starter battery. I really don't know if the conversion vans had a separate battery and electrical to run gizmos.

My 'house' electrical is in no way connected to the vehicle's. Some put in a device to charge electronics while driving, such as your Jackery. That's not a bad idea and should be done by someone who's qualified to do it. Please let us know how you plan on charging the Jackery and which model. You want to be sure it has enough battery to get your CPAP through the night and also run/recharge the devices you intent to use. There are forum members who do exactly that and can probably give you some good advice.

Happy trails..

One thing I've been scared buy is the hoses for everything. Have them changed on your water, fresh? Grey and black, and propane set up asap. Rv owner told me the rule is every 2 years no matter what. Even if they look good, just be safe.

Congratulations and welcome!  I have a '96 luxury passenger van, a Chevy "Regency" Express.  I bought it about 12 years ago, and like you, wanted to keep things pretty simple.  I did remove the James Bond electric bed because 1) no matter what I put on top, it was not all that comfortable, and 2) it was a space hog.  It was a hard decision, because I really liked it in theory, but I am so glad it's gone.  The middle captain seats were removed, too, and eventually skinned to recover the fronts.  Also glad to ditch the TV/VCR (LOL).  I kept the carpet and the 12volt vac and have had no regrets.  I put a rubber mat across the back that's about two feet deep because that's where my galley and utility area is.

Stop me now, 'cause I'll tell you more than you every wanted to know if you're interested!

Yesterday, a guy stopped by our camp site very excited to see "one of those".  I gave him a quick look and he exclaimed:  "Wow!  It has everything!!" 

Enjoy!