1994 GMC Vandura-any thoughts

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiANA R

Reaction score
Hello out there
Wondering about people's thoughts on this type of van. Can it be considered a "stealth" vehicle? Is it easy to make cosmetic changes to it? Is it gonna fall apart on rough roads in mountains? Can you fit solar panels on the weird shaped roof? Is it insulated? I have read about them but I would like to hear from people who have experience with living in them. Or anybody who has an opinion in comparison to, say, a cargo van? Thanks

IMO there is no such thing as a stealth vehicle. anybody who wants to know you are living in your vehicle, knows. plain and simple you can't hide from the man.

Yes you can add solar panels. several different options there.

Is it going to fall apart? That depends on the driver.

Is it insulated. that depends on the individual van. some are some are not.

The Vandura is just a name. All GMC vans from that era are Vandura's weather they are a conversion van or a cargo van.

highdesertranger

Is this for full-timing or just weekends?

Old vans can be expensive to have fixed.

It would be as durable as most other vans but it all depends on where you go and what shape it's in.

I've been on plenty of rough roads in my '93 which is similar to a '94 GMC. They're generic American vans.

Weird roof? Panels can be mounted on ladder racks for use on vans with a drip rail like a '94 would have.

Hi highdesertranger,
You know I kinda feel that way to. I am in CA and every cargo van and vandura is now advertised as a "conversion van" or a "vanlife van". I had a sweet 1989 Dodge Ram Van I was looking at. Deep Metal Flake Yellow. I wanted it and maybe will still but troubles with the title blew it out of the water. Anyone who is looking has to be aware of someone in there. I don't really care which I purchase I want a good engine with power and low miles and they are expensive now. I appreciate the feedback very much.
See ya on the road soon. Diana

hi slow2day,
This is for fulltime. I have to be out by end of Feb. In CA and been looking for a long time. Trying not to freakout because I haven't found anything yet so I am looking at other vans than a cargo van. It is a 1 ton so it has the weight for climbs. I am not very sure if it has the height for them.
Got to be out by end February.

Latest posts