1992 Ford Econoline Cargo Van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debi56

Reaction score
This has 160,000 miles on it for $6500.00.  Would this be a good vehicle to own.  I would have to convert the rest for myself.  
I don't know how good this vehicle was or is.  Any input as to how well this is vehicle is made.  Does it have too many miles, is the Ford econoline a good reliable vehicle to own.
I want to convert into my home on wheels but do traveling around the US.  So not sure what kind of mileage I could get.  How well off road are they to take.  
Thanks for any input.

yeah for that price, year, mileage, and without being able to see it. I have to agree with Sofi. way to much money.

highdesertranger

In April I bought my 1998 dodge conversion van with a high top and 110,000 miles for $3,500 and added new tires and Other mechanical work for another $1,000. Keep looking there are better deals out there.

I paid $1800 for my '93 in 2017 with 114k on it. It now has 143k miles.
I've replaced the alternator,radiator,fuel pump,power steering hoses,front rotors/calipers,rear wheel cylinders,fuel filler hose,door actuator cables,EGR solenoid,water pump,battery (twice) tires and other misc. items. I've spent well over $2500 in parts alone. If I had needed to pay shops to do all that, it would have been several $1000's more. A fuel pump replacement alone will run $700-$900 at a shop.

This is typical of any old vehicle.

It's basically a good running old van and it took me from AZ to Alaska last year and I will have completed an 8000 mile trip this year when I get back to AZ.

There would have to be something very special about that '92 for them to be asking $6500 for it!

Or as bullfrog says, van prices are going way up because of COVID.

slow2day said:
I paid $1800 for my '93 in 2017 with 114k on it. It now has 143k miles.
I've  replaced the alternator,radiator,fuel pump,power steering hoses,front rotors/calipers,rear wheel cylinders,fuel filler hose,door actuator cables,EGR solenoid,water pump,battery (twice) tires and other misc. items. I've spent well over $2500 in parts alone. If I had needed to pay shops to do all that, it would have been several $1000's more. A fuel pump replacement alone will run $700-$900 at a shop.

This is typical of any old vehicle.

It's basically a good running old van and it took me from AZ to Alaska last year and I will have completed an 8000 mile trip this year when I get back to AZ.

There would have to be something very special about that '92 for them to be asking $6500 for it!

Or as bullfrog says, van prices are going way up because of COVID.

Thankyou for the reply.  I know very little about such stuff.  

nature lover said:
In April I bought my 1998 dodge conversion van with a high top and 110,000 miles for $3,500 and added new tires and Other mechanical work for another $1,000.  Keep looking there are better deals out there.

I found my 91 gmc with 86k.. they were asking 1500..LOL.. got it for 1000.

Mechanically sound with a real crap interior.

It had been sitting in a barn for some time and the interior looked and smelled like a kennel for goats...not joking!

I noticed  that if the vehicle interior is nice the price goes way up. We gut the interiors and so I am not interested in paying for leather seats and nice fancy trims inside. Most of the interior will end up in the dump which will b e yet another expense.

Mechanically sound with an ugly interior or no interior at all is the way to go imHo.

Don't be disuaded if it smells like a goat it will soon smell like adhesive, wood and fresh paint.

Hopefully you've found another one, or did you buy that one?

The only way it'd be worth $6.5K is if the engine and transmission were brand new replacements with verifiable documentation to back them up.
And it would have to be from California, or the desert southwest otherwise its probably got some, or extensive, hidden rust on it...

Latest posts