1990 G20 w/ 130,000mi. no rust??

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoOvernightParking

Reaction score
Hi Friends,
I came across this apparently rust-free low mileage 1990 G20 5.7L at a repo yard. No test drives allowed. Asking $6K, but what is worst-case here? Engine and tranny are both in need of a rebuild?
Appreciate your feedback.

1642698254907.png1642698331418.png

If you can't drive it (why is that?) and/or have it checked by a mechanic,I would pass. A '90 will only have a 5-digit odometer so does it show 30k miles? It might actually be 230K.

A repo yard? -No maintenance history to be had. -Possible problems getting a clear title. -Unpaid taxes owed maybe. -Rust-free? If you're in an area where cars normally get rusty, then check for rust repairs (putty) and evidence of repainting. Check frame/running gear,too of course.

It does look like a clean old van but $6k is too high IMO.

If you had to have the engine replaced plus other misc. things that may need replacing on a 30yo van, your total investment might be close to $12k.

Last edited:
If it's at a repo yard they may not be set up as an auto dealer, so they may not have the insurance in place to allow test drives.
Also, just because it is in the Rust Belt NOW it doesn't mean it has always been there or driven there in the winters.
My 2001 E150 has no rust because my step-dad didn't drive it in the winter, him and mom were semi-retired and they'd take my mom's FWD Honda if it was bad weather if they went out in it at all.
I have seen similar vehicles owned by older folks who just didn't drive when weather was bad.
Conversion vans in particular seem to rack up fewer miles, I think people buy them with the idea of doing a little traveling and then never drive them as much as intended.

From a GM forum member...not sure of the accuracy..."All GM cars had 6-digit odometers by 1991. The 1990 Chevy Cavalier, Celebrity and Caprice were the last 5-digit cars."

There are other hints if a car has been driven 30K or 130K of 230K.
The carpets on the drivers side are a great indicator.
You can't do 230K without working a heel groove into the mats/carpets.
Ditto for wear and tear on the drivers side door jambs, threshold/sill.
Is it a foolproof way? Nope, but it's unlikely someone restored the front carpets and repainted the door sill in matching color on a 230K vehicle.
Check the date codes on the tires. Big whitewall lettering on tires went out of vogue a while back, so if they are 20 year old tires with little wear, chances are the mileage is legit.
Look for rub marks on the steering wheel, people don't usually replace steering wheels and lots of driving will wear down the faux leatherette texture on the steering wheel at the usual places.
Ditto for the doghouse and drivers door area, people tend to rest their legs against those when driving.
Look at the driver's seat edge on the door side, those vans are not short. Even I have to hike myself up into the seat at 6'5".
If it's been driven 100K plus there will be wear and tear along that edge.
Again none of these are foolproof, but they will help guide your

What I always tell people with clean, low mileage older vehicles...

It's over 30 years OLD! Mechanical parts won't be too difficult to find but some cosmetic and body stuff, especially the conversion van interior parts might be a little more difficult.
Keep in mind some shops do not want to work on cars that old.
Belts, hoses and all soft parts, including tires are likely in need of replacement.
With genuine low mileage it means it likely never had regular service and sat long periods with old coolant and oil in it.
Flush coolant, replace all fluids (power steering, bleed brakes with new fluids) etc.
Change oil immediately and then after driving it for a 1000 miles with some good long highway hauls, change it again.
It might be worth cutting open the filter and examining it after both oil changes to gauge how gunked up things are.

The plus side is that most of the stuff can be done yourself in a driveway.
If you have a good working relationship with a local garage, you may be able to get the rest done.
I have a guy who won't normally work on 20 year plus vehicles, but he works on mine because I leave it and let him tackle it at his leisure when he is slow. I'm not vanning full-time so I can afford to drop it off for 4-5 days to get work done I don't want to tackle in the winter on my back in the cold.

I'm a big fan of starting builds on rust-free vehicles.
Rust is a killer and next to impossible for most people to eliminate or repair on the body themselves.
So you either do a crap job of it yourself or pay money to have it done right.
If it runs good and you go into it understanding that it may need some work and you WANT that body style, 6K isn't too bad, especially considering the 5.7 engine and if it's legitimately rust free.

Since its a Repo I wonder why it was Repoed?? It may have something wrong with it the former owner stopped paying on it because they couldn't make the payments and the repairs at the same time.

I have done a few Repos in my time and the good ones that don't need anything normally go to the bank for a quick sale, and the ones with problems go the Repo yard.

That was the reason why we quit doing Repos, the Bank would keep the good ones, and let use get rid of the junk.

Just a thought.

At least start it up and put it in gear. Check everything you can.

I have done a few Repos in my time and the good ones that don't need anything normally go to the bank for a quick sale, and the ones with problems go the Repo yard.
I believe the bank owns many of the vehicles at this yard. I've heard they needed to approve offers in the past. But I can't imagine how a bank took a van that old. Perhaps as payment for some other debt?

I don't live nearby, so it would be buying on faith... not a great way to buy a 31 year-old vehicle!

I believe the bank owns many of the vehicles at this yard. I've heard they needed to approve offers in the past. But I can't imagine how a bank took a van that old. Perhaps as payment for some other debt?

I don't live nearby, so it would be buying on faith... not a great way to buy a 31 year-old vehicle!
This was years ago, but you'd be surprised what some bank would loan money on.

Hi Friends,
I came across this apparently rust-free low mileage 1990 G20 5.7L at a repo yard. No test drives allowed. Asking $6K, but what is worst-case here? Engine and tranny are both in need of a rebuild?
Appreciate your feedback.

View attachment 30146View attachment 30147
Paid $3600 for my 1993 G20 with a fiberglass extended roof. Had it for three years so far. Very happy. $6000 is way too much. My purchase was in Northern California, where prices are a little higher.

Times have changed in 3 years. If you can buy a functional van for $3600, then show us where you can get one! :unsure: