1990 Chevrolet P30 - fire police equipment van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NomadicFoodie

Reaction score
Going to check one out later today, for a Step Van conversion. What questions should I ask? It's seemingly in good condition with low mileage. Talk me out of it (I'm going to have a hard time restraining myself! Squee! :D ). What are the bad things that you know of on a vehicle like this? Its gas, not deisel and it has dual wheels on the back. Rear wheel drive obv. I want it to be a conversion (my first) reasonably stealth? Also with enough clearance to get off road enough a short distance, to camp without lots of people around.

Insurance is always necessary no matter what state you are in or plan to register it in so a talk with an insurance company and a look at state laws are most important before you even go to look. Can you or will you be required to make it an RV and will you be able to get insurance on it as a full timer in an RV. Commercial vehicles and converting them can be impossibly hard to doin certain states. Make sure you know before you go!

bullfrog said:
Insurance is always necessary no matter what state you are in or plan to register it in so a talk with an insurance company and a look at state laws are most important before you even go to look. 
Thanks. I'm checking now. The Van is in an auction so I can't impulse buy until the day.

Look into doing a title change to RV through Vermont. They do NOT require residency or actual conversion, but new title reflects that it's an RV. afaik it's what schoolie people do to convert.

Best of luck & keep us posted.
Hopefully I'll be following in your footsteps soon

I’d make sure that there aren’t any check engine lights or that it will pass emissions tests if your in an area that requires that. I know if your in California that can be an absolute nightmare. I have a 74 value van (same as P30) and I love it. But it’s mixed use recreational and business. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It was a really great deal but I'm going to pass. It's simply too big. I drove it around the lot, I'm an experienced driver of large vehicles, and I K turned, parked, and can handle it fine, it ran really well. The winning bidder will be able to drive it home.

It's simply too huge for my needs. I came home and taped out the dimensions on my apartment floor and also taped out the dimensions of a Ram ProMaster long wheel base and compared. Though the ProMaster is shorter, and narrows up to the roof, it's plenty big enough for me. Mostly the ProMaster will be more "my size." So, it was a good process as it made me actually look harder at the details for what I actually need.

So the link is below and I hope somebody picks it up! Barely any rust, it has been well-cared for, garaged most of it's life. Steel (not aluminum) body. Low mileage. It was on auction earlier, reached $7,600 and the buyer didn't come up with the money. The auction closes 5pm Eastern on July 1st. I have bought stuff here before, if there's a bidding war it extends the auction, (it's not like EBay rewarding the fastest online connection).

It has a plug for shore power, extra batteries, the dash doesn't have a star trek level of dials as it was just an equipment van. Tires looked good. I've been looking for awhile and this looked great on screen but in real life, too big for this one person.

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=2&acctid=18929

Links to sketch measurements made when I saw it.
Underneath
view

Side view https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vUYBO6Pq5R20QQT_rk9B975eHNunr2wO/view?usp=sharing

Again, for this StepVan that was too large for me
https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=2&acctid=18929

highdesertranger said:
I would take that over the Ram Promaster any day.  highdesertranger
:D I thought so too, until yesterday's reality check. Too huge, I'm on the East Coast and it's simply not parking friendly, stealth enough for city living. It's a SWEET step van though.

I thought it was a fire truck. That would be the best. I have never seen a fire truck build. LOL

highdesertranger said:
I would take that over the Ram Promaster any day.  highdesertranger
Me too, what a beauty, that is a great looking rig ,chrome wheels likely maticulously maintained by the fire department easy to maintain cheap and available parts everywhere, low low mileage that thing is like new. It is not too big in my mind what an opportunity.great colour. I would take this anyday over a pro master

Sofisintown said:
I would have loved to get my hands on it. But I bet it is a gas guzzler...
Of course. I couldn't get a straight answer but figured 8mpg to 12 tops

Latest posts