1988 Vanagon what do you thnk

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
meh, who am i? but:

vw are always over priced, imo. But stealth-ier than the ford transit (as they are much more familar to the eye). And stealth-ier than an REAL RV that you could get for that price, or lower.

the Ram: anywhere, any street, any time = stealth. (Also true for mini-vans.) And spacious too. Space-wise: Better than the vw and the transit, at a FAR better price point. (insurance, maintenance)

~ Follow your heart, but use your head ~

I agree with all of the above.

My nephew bought a mid 80s VW for $11,000 (!!!!!!!!) which was in "good shape". He has since spent roughly another $6000 on it on parts alone (and months of his own work) so it would run properly enough to drive into South America. He is a certified mechanic, has all the know-how and tools and location to do the work, and STILL spent that much trying to get t to work.

He is currently in Guatemala - parked - trying to get a new motor shipped out because the motor (stock VW motor) he built at the beginning of the trip, just 5 months ago, does not have enough power to climb the hills in South America. He has to sit at the bottom of these hills with a tow strap in hand and beg to be pulled up each one by the truck drivers. Lucky for him, is woman is cute so they always got towed.

So, how good of an American van could you buy for $15,000? and how much traveling in 5 months? Sure, if you are a 20-something hipster (or Glen from tosimplify.com... and he rebuilt his entire van from the ground up, and new motor, and still makes constant repairs to it) you may love a VW. The rest of us... mot so much.

BTW, I can quite easily be talked out of my van right now if you want a proper American van already built up for van-life. See my signature link below

If I was getting a Volkswagen the only way I'd go is changing the motor - ideally to a Ford Zetec (Bostig make conversion kits but they are really fucking expensive) or a Subaru. From what I can gather, the VW engines used in Vanagns are pieces of shit. And the rebuilds that I read about in blogs and books tend to need work or another rebuild almost immediately. A Vanagon is already overpriced, and then it's a huge gamble on how much the ongoing maintenance will be. The "drive nacho drive" book, or the "Kombi life / Hasta Alaska" YouTube videos ar good examples.

It's a shame because they are pretty cool otherwise. But if the engines were reliable, the prices would be inflated even more)

I am going to toss this out here since I haven't seen anybody else mention it.

If I wanted a VW Van, I would go pre-water cooled. Those engines were darn near bullet proof. And the vans were nearly as good as having 4 wheel drive.

Over the years I had 3 tin top westies, 1961, 1974, and finally a 1981 Vanagon tin top westie. None of them lacked power, and all three were very reliable. I had an unconventional vw mechanic, whose view was to only adjust the valves once when you got it, them leave them alone. He said the 3k valve adjustments vw suggested was actually a bad idea, and would cause the valves to need adjustments that often.

So if I was considering a westie at this point, I'd be looking for an air cooled one.

Van-Tramp said:
BTW, I can quite easily be talked out of my van right now if you want a proper American van already built up for van-life. See my signature link below

If I was in the market for one, I would jump on that!  I like your van; especially the recent updating of the interior!

actually off grid that is an air cooled rear engine VW. however did anybody notice the red paper in the back window, that's a temp plate. obviously for one reason or another the registration lapsed and they needed the temp plate to get everything squared away. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
actually off grid that is an air cooled rear engine VW.  however did anybody notice the red paper in the back window,  that's a temp plate.  obviously for one reason or another the registration lapsed and they needed the temp plate to get everything squared away.  highdesertranger

Nope, it was a water cooled one.  The bottom grill in front means water cooled.  I think about 1982 was the last year of the air cooled vanagons.

My sister had a Porsche motor in her VW. It could pass everything but a V8

off grid you are correct, my bad. I had to go back and reread the ad. for some reason I had it in my head that it was an 82. highdesertranger