1980 21ft American Clipper vs 1990 22ft Mallard Sprinter

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gallahadion

Reaction score
Hi All,

just want to pick your brain on the two following RVs I'm considering.

1)  1990 22ft Mallard Sprinter on a Chevy C? Chassis , 350 V8, 116,000 miles, asking $5000

2) 1980 21ft  American Clipper on a Chevy C30 Chassis, 400 V8, 63,000 miles, asking $3500

Pretty sure I'm going to pull the trigger this weekend on one of them.  When they are this old,
does the 10 year difference really matter?

-I really like the fiberglass aspect of the American Clipper and the less miles 

- the generator in the American Clipper works and the one in the Mallard Sprinter starts up but will not stay running

- Mallard Sprinter has and awning and the American Clipper does not. 

- have read lots of good things about the quality and craftsmanship of the American Clipper

- finally , the Mallard Sprinter is about and hour away.......the American Clipper is about 6-1/2 hours away

Any insight would be helpful. Thanks, Todd

me,personally dont like the tin siding so the clipper would be the choice but it has the 400 which will crack between the cylinders the first time it gets hot,google chevy 400 siamese cylinders,its their only dud engine all though they are good torquey engines,i would get the clipper knowing i would have to get a 350 in the near future

the 10 year thing is b.s.,it takes 10 years before you learn of any defects as everything is covered by warranty and not being reported

Gary68 said:
 but it has the 400 which will crack between the cylinders the first time it gets hot,google chevy 400 siamese cylinders,its their only dud engine all though they are good torquey engines,i would get the clipper knowing i would have to get a 350 in the near future    

So if it hasn't cracked in 63,000 miles, does that mean its a good one? I'm sure its gotten hot at some point in 63,000 miles. 
Is there anything with the radiator and water pump that can be done to help the 400?

Thanks,
Todd

Bluegrass Voyager said:
So if it hasn't cracked in 63,000 miles, does that mean its a good one? I'm sure its gotten hot at some point in 63,000 miles. 
Is there anything with the radiator and water pump that can be done to help the 400?

Thanks,
Todd

you can pull the heads and drill some steam holes but i wouldnt bother,if it runs good just drive it till it dies and the replace with 350

a good clipper is worth it,they can be nice rides

i see runner 350's for $500 and

http://www.jegs.com/i/GM+Performanc...9&cadevice=c&gclid=CP20oL2c-8sCFceCfgodfm4GOA

If you end up liking the Clipper, go for it. Make sure your cooling system is up to snuff and it shouldn't be a prob. Set aside a fund (should anyhoo) and be ready if the poo hits the fan.

This one may have never gotten "boil over" hot either. As long as you don't cook it you might get lots of miles out of it.

I had a DYI mist system behind the grill of my last moho that came in real handy pulling long climbs in the mountains.

Good luck with your hunt.

I'd get the Clipper hands down over the Sprinter.

The fiberglass shell in the Clipper is a fantastic design, and there are only a few small places it can leak from.

The Sprinter on the other hand, is the usual aluminum sheet design over a wood stick framework. Been there, done that. NO THANKS!!

Also, the Clippers have a huge cult following, partly because of the fiberglass body, but also because of they're very well built...so they hold their value quite well.
In other words, even if the engine is a dud, you still won't loose money on the deal.

(I'd bring $2800 in green cash...and I'll bet it'll be yours!) :D

Like everybody else here has said, the Clipper sounds better. You mentioned it has a C-30 chassis? Is it a short class A with a fiberglass roof then? If so, then hands down that's the one I would go for.
The beauty of it's being a Chevy is that your choice of engine replacement has grown. You can replace it with either a big or small block.

the 400ci motor is ok, just don't get it hot. the 63,000 miles mean nothing more than no one has overheated it yet. I consider the 400 non-rebuildable because of the Siamese cylinders if you bore these out they run hotter which in turn is the worse thing you could do. like others have said, when you need to replace the engine put a 350 in it. after all it's a chevy the 350 will bolt right in. I also vote for the clipper. highdesertranger