1969 G10 Panel Conversion Project

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old69vanner

Reaction score
So...here I am and wanting to share all my plans...I plan to build the best conversion possible, a van with all the features of an RV without the gas guzzling size...I have a lot of green energy plans scheduled for my van...by the way, I call my van the Silver Bullet aka SB becuz the van was owned by Coor's.<br><br>Some of my van features will include:<br><br>A custom high top conversion<br><br>A solar water heater for hot water and showers<br><br>A 90 watt solar panel system and 3 DC batteries not including the van battery<br><br>All interior and exterior LED lighting<br><br>37" LCD HD TV<br><br>Shore power converter and A/C<br><br>Some sort of heat but not important right now<br><br>Microwave/ Toaster convection oven/ 2 burner cooktop<br><br>No electric water pump here...will use pressurized air for both hot and cold water...a small compressor will pressurize the tank and force the water out and when the pressure drops the tank will refill the pressure from an air tank or small tire inflater...no noise, no parts to break!...can even be filled with a hand tire pump.(need the exercise anyway)<br><br>A portable toilet/shower combo<br><br>A sink <br><br>Most of my van will be universal, meaning that most of what I will design will either have 2 or 3 uses for such a small space...for boon-docking I have a utility trailer I will be designing to haul my tools and other long term important items...these will include extra water &amp; food, a welder, a 6500 watt generator and my Harley and what other items I may need.<br><br>I plan to wire the trailer so that I may start the generator from inside the van and run a microwave or A/C without leaving the van...the trailer will also house it's own fuel source for the gen...the trailer will only go with me if I go for a long trip.<br><br>If you have any questions regarding any of my van's features please ask questions...I simply cannot believe that RV's today are not as efficient as they could be...just my pressurized water tank (PWT) design alone is a wander that it is so simple and maintenance free that it is not in use today...pumps run dry and then burn up...my design will last forever and can be stored under the van which gives you more room inside...one tank does both hot and cold supply...the hot is via a solar panel fed from the cold water tank...there is a simple trick to keep cold and hot separated. <br><br>Thanks for reading<br>SB<br><br><br>

<P>Sounds very interesting! I'd like to see pictures of this project. </P>

I Definatly appreciate the older vans , trucks and rv's. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Sounds likeyourin for a good time!

I wonder about your plans for the water system, though. How large an air tank are you planning on using? What type of compressor?

I'm asking because it seems the air unit would be heavier and much more expensive. Won't the compressor be noisier than a small 12v water pump? We only hear ours when we turn the water on, which isn't much. (Navy showers). The noise isn't annoying.

Just curious.

Thanks for the reply and questions.<br><br>I want to also make clear that for the water system...I'm talkin' about and entire different system...yes, some water pumps are quiet when you turn the water on and some are very noisy...I hear all this talk about being stealth right?...how are you being quiet when I can hear you turn on the water?<br><br>I will explain in more detail followed by a simple drawing and hope that other will adapt and learn about a simpler system...some pumps require a switch to turn them on before turning your faucet on while other rely on pressure drop and automatically come on...the ladder of the 2 are expensive...I took the approach of using pressure to replace something that can break or leak...city water pressure is between 35-65psi depending on where you live...but for the most part with GPS water meters they also reduce water pressure to conserve water these days.<br><br>My system can be designed in a number of ways, including space and capacity...you can use a pressure tank from your local hardware store, Lowe's or Home Depot...they sell small portable tanks with built in regulators so you can have what ever pressure you so desire...unlike buying a 12V pump and only having what they designed in the pump.<br><br>My Design:<br><br>Depending on space you can build your tanks either vertical or horizontal...and connect them with fittings...tanks can be mounted any where you want because pressure is your friend...I cannot explore the amount of fitting available but can give you the list of parts needed to do the job...you can use 4", 3" with end caps and Y fittings to connect the larger tanks...you can even still have city hook up if you use a hose adapter and ball valve below the hose fitting to allow your pressure to escape before connecting to city service...from the cold water tank you will run to the roof and make sure you use a check valve to only allow water to flow towards the hot supply...the check valve will allow the water on the roof to get hot but not let the cold water get hot...remember that the whole system is under the same pressure, so when you open the hot water facet, cold water will go thru the check valve and replace the used hot water.<br><br>The solar panel is made from 1X4 wood and polystyrene foam for insulation and aluminum foil is glued to the polystyrene for heat retention...the whole box is covered in Plexiglas to retain the heat you have trapped...the soler tubes themselves can be built from 1-2" PVC and painted plack to help absorb the suns heat, thus not needing and hot water heater in your van or RV.<br><br>The whole solar panel can be built for less then the cost of a high efficient water heater and it will also conserve on fossil fuels and not use any energy from your van.<br><br>A shrader valve, tire valve can be also added just below the ball valve to pressurize the water system or any fitting you will need to connect to your pressure source...I plane to use a 160psi portable tire inflater to charge my water system...simple air tank regulators can be fitted in between to regulate a certain pressure with gage so you can put over 120psi in the system and regulate it to 35psi so it will last for a while before needing recharged...this can be done by a hand pump or via my suggestion, a tire inflater...to me this would not be a hassle and would be very stealth...the wife is sleeping and you need some water, no noise other then running water...no parts to wear out or break...when you want to connect to the city just remove the hose cover, slowly turn the ball valve until all pressure is released...it will be like letting air out of a tire...connect your hose and your done.<br><br>I hope I was clear and if not I can explain in more detail and submit a drawing if needed...thanks for checking in!<br><br>SB<br><br>

Sparky1, you have read that wrong...the cold water supply is under the same pressure as the hot water supply...the one way check valve only allows water to flow towards the facet...remember that water will always flow the least resistant path, where did I say hot water flows thru a check valve?...open the hot water facet and water will flow, I promise...if you don't believe me then build the system and prove me wrong.<br><br>And where did I ever mention a storage tank to hold water that is cooler...can somebody help sparky1 out here?...anybody?...I mean no disrespect but I was very clear on details but some how sparky only read what he wanted and then added stuff I never said.<br><br>SB<br><br>

Just stay tuned for a video I will post soon...I will explain myself so there will be no more confusion...unless someone else here knows what I'm talking about and can better jargan my thoughts.<br><br>SB<br><br>

I never intended to upset anyone here...I guess the old saying stays true...you can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all the people all of the time...I'm sorry you feel that way sparky1<br>SB<br><br>

It depends on one's priority, Not everyone here is concerned with stealth.

You're just adding an air storage tank and using a more powerful electric compressor to the concept for silent operation on site.

An external connection for an air hose might permit small jobs using compressed air.

If it works for you, go for it.

Today I made one of my major investments...I bought one of Harbor Freights 45Watt solar kits...they were on sale for $189...the electrical system will be my most expensive investment...I'm trying to spread the little money I have on things I need...I plan to purchase 2 more of these kits so I will have over a hundred Watts of solar power...this combined with 3 deep cycle 1000amp hr batteries will allow me to go a few days without any sun at all.<br><br>Everything I plan to include in my build will be LED for lighting and I will have several inverters to power my many different needs...I have a small 300W inverter that will easily power my laptop without consuming a lot more then it is converting from DC to AC...I will also look into a direct DC/DC plug for my laptop as well as having bigger units to power up while watching TV.<br><br>SB<br><br>

<p>old69vanner,</p><p>you have great plans, certainly as detailed as mine are.</p><p>With regard to your solar plans, are you going to use 6V or 12V batteries? Be aware, you can use only half of the amperage in your calculations. And as a general measurement, you will need as many watts in your solar panels, as you have amps in your batteries for a balanced system.</p><p>I'm intrigued by your water system and a video would make things clearer. I may even incorporate it in my project.</p><p><br></p><p>Van.</p>

cargovanconversion said:
<p>old69vanner,</p><p>you have great plans, certainly as detailed as mine are.</p><p>With regard to your solar plans, are you going to use 6V or 12V batteries? Be aware, you can use only half of the amperage in your calculations. And as a general measurement, you will need as many watts in your solar panels, as you have amps in your batteries for a balanced system.</p><p>I'm intrigued by your water system and a video would make things clearer. I may even incorporate it in my project.</p><p><br></p><p>Van.</p>
<br><br>Thank you for your interest in my water system...first off I want to say that it is very similar to how a house is set up...a house is under pressure provided by the city...I plan to use an A/C compressor or just install a 160psi air pump which is oil-less air pump and use a pig air canister to store a larger amount of air...why use just an electric pump just for water when you can have an air pump do many other jobs besides providing water pressure?<br><br>The air pump can not only supply water pressure but can also pump up an air mattress, inflate a flat tire, blow dirt away from a work area, run small air tools and a lot more jobs an air tank can provide...I may use an old A/C compressor to fill the tank when driving and use a 12V 160 psi compressor when parked and using a regulator at 35psi should last a long time with a small ten gallon pig...160 psi in the tank, right...and an adjustable regulator set at 35psi to feed the water system...pretty much a no brainer...I just feel that a system should have more then just one use for the amount of energy used.<br><br>As for batteries I plan to use 3-4 deep cycle 12V...ones rated at a 1000 amps at-least.<br><br>SB<br>