14-day limit forest wide

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matildas mate

Reaction score
i am currently staying in the Prescott NF near Prescott, AZ and am finding that there is a 14-day limit for the entire forest as opposed to the 14-day limit and then move x amount of miles to another location for an additional 14 days as found other areas (such as BLM land). Same thing for the Coconino NF near Sedona.

Is this unusual based on the experiences of others camping on NF land? This kinda makes spending an entire summer in one area difficult if not (legally) impossible.

Im in kentucky and that is how the danoel boone mf does it too

in areas of heavy use and touristy areas we are seeing more restrictions like this. each agency has its own regs as far as how long and how far you have to move. some even limit your yearly time.

wisest thing to do is check in with the ranger stations either by phone/internet/call or stop in and get the right info when ever you hit up a new area. and keep tabs on old areas you have used in the past, rules can and do change...

Matildas mate said:
Is this unusual based on the experiences of others camping on NF land? This kinda makes spending an entire summer in one area difficult if not (legally) impossible.
Not unusual at all...the regulations have been in place for as long as there have been regulations. AFAIK the regulation is 14 days out of 30 so you can move from one forest to another and only have 2 days out of 30 that you need to find an alternative. If you really like the area then they 3 can be rotated.

One doesn't usually WANT to spend the whole summer in one area anyways. Going up in elevation as the summer heats up puts you in a different area. You don't have to travel a great distance. From Prescott you can go north of Flagstaff quite easily and spend time in the Kaibob NF. Go a little east and you're back in the Coconino NF. Go a little north in to Glen Canyon NRA.

IMO there's too much land out there to want to stay  in just one spot for the entire season anyways but that's just me. If you do need to spend the whole season in one spot then there's always LTVAs where you pay a small fee for the privilege of not having to move every 14 days.

ped said:
Im in kentucky and that is how the danoel boone mf does it too

Ped, where are you in Kentucky? We are near Beaver Dam.

Stearns district. Barren fork, great meadows, and special spot off super hidden service road.

You can most always find some where else to camp that will allow you to return to after a period of time although I would not return to the exact same place and make sure to leave it better than it was when you came. If you should want to stay continous for more than 14 days volunteer at the National Forest for a month or two. Volunteers are seldom turned away or told to leave.

From Prescott NF, Coconino NF is close, then Kaibab NF for a third NF.
Tonto NF is South of Coconino NF.

In Kentucky the Daniel Boone National Forest I believe has several launch ramps along bodies of water that are under State Fish and Wildlife or State Parks which would therefore be not considered National Forest. At least years ago I used to park there over night to fish. You might look into that to see if that is still the case, this was in the Zilpo area which was the old home place they took from my family and flooded way back when.

The rules are changing due to the higher usage and some people doing their best to take more advantage than allowed.

For instance, there is a nice, but very small piece of (rare) BLM land just west of Coos Bay, on the Oregon coast. I believe you used to be able to stay there (years ago) for 14 days. Then it was reduced to a week after the homeless people discovered it and started trashing it. And then it was reduced to 24 hours after a man was killed there. And now it's just for Day Use. Pity.

Thanks folks!
At the time this appeared, I was in the southern end of the Mark Twain NF, and had naively ASSumed the BLM general rules applied (i.e. 14 days & 25 miles).
Had been planning to forest-hop my way North, but this thread changed that plan.

Note that at least one NF has more relaxed rules, so it's worth checking their website (web search the forest name and "dispersed camping").

For example, I'm currently based in the Ottawa NF (northern Michigan) and their rule (per their website) is 16 days then move 5 miles. :)

Had that rule confirmed by two uniformed Michigan Natural Resources officers who stopped by at my last site (a suboptimal location right off a county road, but I needed wifi for my Volunteer work). They were mainly concerned about campfires, but were quickly reassured when I explained my situation (i.e. can't be around smoke).
After that (i.e. they grokked who I am), one of them explicitly stated that I could return to the same campsite indefinitely, as long as I was away for at least a 24 hour period every 16 days.
The website did not mention that, and I'm a little nervous about trying it (I'm currently in Town, doing a resupply/hygiene run and was planning to find a new site today).

Note also that I had fully explained my situation, including the fact that I'm not here for "traditional" recreation, but am disabled and doing fulltime Volunteer work. I all but admitted that I was "living" there.
They were totally cool about that. :)
I mention that because someone recently posted about being hassled by a ranger in Colorado and told they were only supposed to be in the forest doing mainstream recreation activities.
That will vary by forest, and by your personal situation.
Quiet Seekers: this lifestyle is worth trying. :)

as with almost any minor infraction it's up to the officers discretion if he wants to enforce the rule. but the actual law states that it is illegal to live on Public land. so I never say "I am living" on public land or give the impression that I am.

now if the officer gets word from their superiors to crack down on living on the land then that takes his/hers discretion out of the equation.

highdesertranger

That 14 day limit USFS nationwide wide was false as soon as I uttered it online.
I have a very low social credit score, so reader beware.

Wayne:
I disagree with your post above. :)
14 days should be viewed as the default rule.
I've now looked at enough NF individual forest subsites to induce Geek Pain. :( Some are delightfully specific (e.g. Ottawa NF), others give no information (e.g. Chequamegon-Nicolet NF in Wisconsin) about the time & distance rules for dispersed camping.
It's frustrating!

Rules of thumb are important starting points.
Soooo, please don't take anything I've posted as criticism of you. I've always respected your sense of caution. :)

Generally, I'm a rules follower, but it's important to understand the intent of rules.
Law enforcement folks are a lot more relaxed if you're following both the spirit and letter of the law.

HDR:
Could you post up some official links on the "no living" thing?
I'd like to try to understand the intent. :)
I suspect it's to try to keep out those who will break lots of other rules, and put the Forests at risk.

Speaking of increasing my understanding, over the last week, I've been experimenting (with great success) with flameless cooking, now that I better understand that that needs to be part of my dweller toolset. :)

14 days should be viewed as the default rule.

There is no "default" rule. Many Forests may have similar rules, but each Forest sets its own occupancy rules.

others give no information (e.g. Chequamegon-Nicolet NF in Wisconsin)

Chequamegon-Nicolet NF:
  1. Camping at a developed recreation site for longer than 14 consecutive days, unless otherwise posted, is prohibited. 36 CFR 261.58(a).
  2. Camping on any National Forest System lands for longer than 21 consecutive days is prohibited. 36 CFR 261.58(a).
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/cnnf/notices/?cid=STELPRDB5182020

The information is always available, if it can't be found online I always check at a ranger station, or often the information is posted at kiosks in the Forest.

Examples of other than 14 day limits;

Prescott National Forest, in the Prescott valley, has a 7 day stay limit.

Inyo National Forest,
Length of Stay: On Inyo National Forest land, you may camp up to 28 days per six months on any one ranger district (there are 4 ranger districts on the Inyo –Mt. Whitney, White Mountain, Mammoth, and Mono Lake). Always check with your local ranger station.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/inyo/recreation/camping-cabins/?recid=20228&actid=34

Thats just two off the top of my head, there are many more, including Chequamegon above, 21 days.

Pic from Cottonwood AZ area, and probably part of area now closed to dispersed camping
no residential use.jpg

Attachments

• no residential use.jpg
    no residential use.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 17
bonvanroulez:
Thanks for digging. :)

My comments to Wayne were partly in the context of discussions at other forums. I was attempting to encourage his cautious streak. :)

Latest posts