12V to AC plug? or solar

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outermostsoul

Reaction score
After 4 or 5 guys bailed on me hopefully next week I will get a guy out to fix the short in my Airstream electrical.  Right now I have a single extension cord coming in a window to run a single box fan and of course no fridge working.  The new vents are installed. One is manual MAXX fan and to my surprise the other two second hand but not used vents also had a 12 volt fan installed.  Can I wire all three together to the lighter plug adapter I bought?  I tested the Maxx fan and it works just didn't know if one plug could serve all three or if I just need to buy 2 more plugs/adapters?  ps I was very underwhelmed with the MAXX fan- it barely moved any air at all.  Harbor Freight has a deal on a 100 watt solar pane through Aug.- would that work to just run the vent fans when the sun is shining?  I don't have a house battery to store the solar output yet.

what kind of deal on the solar panels. myself I stay away from anything Harbor Freight. I can't even remember the last time I was in one of their stores. if you shop around you could probably get a real 100 watt panel for under a hundred bucks and a controller for about 20.

I would hard wire the fans and not use ciggy plugs.

yes you could run the fans straight off of the panel. but do your math, total amps the fans draw minus the output of the panel, hopefully you come out with a negative number. in other words the output from the panel is grater then the total of the fans.

highdesertranger

If you are disappointed in the airflow of the Maxx fan, I think you must be opening all the windows. They work best if the window by where you are sitting or sleeping is open (one at a time) and all the rest are closed, you will find that the airflow is great. I don't even open the window next to me all the way. The smaller the window opening the faster the air moves (to a point).

I looked on the harbor freight site. The only "deal" I saw was an overpriced kit with 4 25 watt amorphous panels for a total of 100w. A cheap controller and 2 DC lightbulbs. I agree with HDR get a poly or monocrystalline panel off of amazon and a cheap controller. You'll be a lot happier with the quality and come out cheaper than that kit. Unless I didnt find the kit you're talking about.

I assume this is the kit you're talking about for $189.99

https://www.harborfreight.com/100-watt-solar-panel-kit-63585.html

You can even get these panels double the wattage of the harbor freight and much better quality.

Richsolar 2pcs 100 Watt Polycrystalline 100W 12V Solar Panel High Efficiency Poly Module RV Marine Boat Off Grid (2pcs) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DPHY2YJ

Pair them with this controller

20A Solar Charge Controller Solar Panel Battery Intelligent Regulator with Dual USB Port Display 12V/24V https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072MMDY4F

This would come out to be $175.97 a savings of $14.02

Add in these for $11.99

12V Low Voltage LED Light Bulbs - Daylight 7W E26 Standard Base 60W Equivalent - DC/AC Bulb for RV, Solar Panel Project, Boat, Garden Landscape, Off-grid Lighting (2 Pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075XZ3CTL

You're still a couple of bucks in the black and have double the wattage and still 2 bulbs like the kit has. Keep in mind both kits would need a storage battery attached before trying to use the charge controller. Otherwise you'll fry the controller.

If cost is a major factor like it is for most everyone buy the single rich solar panel like Jim posted for $81.99 the $13.99 charge controller and a 29DC marine battery from walmart $86.83 (in store only and pricing varies)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-Lead-Acid-Marine-Battery-Group-29DC/20531543

That would be a total cost of $182.81 for a complete solar system minus some hardware to hook it up. And it's still cheaper than HFs incomplete kit. This would be the route I would take if I were you.

100 watt panel will give you about 5 amps of power. If you got the room go bigger you can find good deals on craiglist for large panels, I got my 240 watt panel for 200 dollars, I get 12 amps out of it. 12 amps will run multiple fans with power to spare. 

Its alot of work to install a panel might as well get a big one to begin with. I originally had a 120 watt (6 amps) but 6 amps was too small for me. Everyone always upgrades to more panels or bigger panels.

All the fans will work off the 12 volt plug as long as the total is less then 15 amps. 

You do need a battery connected to the panel to run 12 volts devices. You can use any lead acid even a small 6 ah battery, I use to use a 18ah jump pack as the house battery until I got a bigger battery. The battery/controller smooths the power so you don't get voltage surges, the small panels put out 21 volts. Even a small 10 amp pwm controller (10 dollars) will work with a 100 watt panel.

10 amp pwm controller 
a lithium controller.jpg

Attachments

• a lithium controller.jpg
    a lithium controller.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 5
@outermostsoul I looked at your profile and it says your local time is 3 hours behind me so I assume you're on the east coast. If you are within driving distance to Gilbert Arizona there is a company there called santan solar. Bob did a video about them and vouched for their quality. I looked at their website right now and they have used 245 watt panels for $50 cash. Used 345 watt panels for $125. New 340 watt panels for $120. And several others in varying wattages and price ranges. I'm on the east coast and they only ship freight so its cost prohibitive for me but they are a great resource.

x2 on Santan solar. I am a verified customer so are others on the forum I won't mention names I will let them chime in. I bought the 435 watt for 200 bucks when they had them. so now I have two 435 watt panels. highdesertranger

Thanks everybody for the great info. It was late at night and I was just in wonder mode. I will try the window thing with the maxx fan. I bought a plug that goes into the 110 and a cig lighter plug and that's how I tested it. Yep HF is garbage- I can do better. I hope to make it down to 2020 RTR I was so close last year but my job flipped out and I couldn't stay even a few extra days . My plan for next year is to drive the Ford truck to NM and bus back home to Idaho in Oct. before the bad weather on the passes hits. My truck will stay at a friend;s place and then I will bus back down for in Jan. and just drive the truck to the RTR. Friend might join in which will be two of us and 4 dogs.

I'm glad that you found value in the replies. I hope to come to the RTR next year myself and track HDR to his stealth camps. XD

I will not be able to stay in my current location much longer as the land will be sold for "progress" so I have to $h!7 or get off of the pot at this point.

So I'll be buying the 2 pack of rich solar and the cheapest decent controller I can find and Wally world deep cycles. To meet my needs soon.

I'm still looking for a decently priced ragged out popup camper to outfit to my specs. If anyone in N GA wants to gift me one I'd gladly accept it.

I'm thinking of doing the rent to own thing on some desert land in AZ. I like the idea of BLM land but I like even more the idea of this is MY LAND. Dont like it? The complaint dept is on the 2nd floor.