12v to 19v converter vs. inverter for laptop charge

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonegary

Reaction score
I'm sorry if this has been asked before but I did try to search it.  Anyway, my main question is whether or not you need a pure sine wave inverter just to charge a laptop?  If so then is it better to just get a 12v to 19v DC converter for charging the laptop?   I already have a modified inverter.  I guess I want to know if a modified wave inverter is okay to charge my laptop without damaging it, since that was what I planned on doing.  gary

Depending on the brand/model, some laptop chargers have an ident chip that needs to be present to charge the laptop. So a simple DC-DC converter wouldn't work.

Many laptop supplies will work fine on modified sine, of course with less efficiency than using a car laptop supply.

I don't have one so could not test how a device can raise 12 volts DC to 19 volts DC without first converting to an alternating current and then back to DC. A just the right size inverter should be efficient enough for a lap top charger.

A step up (boost) converter only needs to step up by about 6-7vdc.  Much higher efficiency than using an inverter to do about a 10x step up in voltage and then using the laptop's standard power supply to step that 110-120v AC back down to 19-20 volts.

Wiki on boost converters:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boost_converter

Just look up your device on Amazon, and they will send you a 12V plug unit.

There is a built in filter in the wiring.

For my device, I had a extreme old school unit I used with the standard 120V outlet, into my computers.

It might be a good idea to hve both options available. Tiny wires break.

My 90 watt PWR+ laptop car adapter draws 10 to 15 watts less then my msw or psw inverter powering original power brick. Not insignificant.

The issue with car adapters is the shite ciggy plug will fail in time passing more than 60 watts, and waste battery power as heat.

Cut the sob off. Wire directly to fuse block with inline switch. Fuse to protect adapter wire.

Inline switch as mine pulls 0.05 amps not connected to laptop.

if one insists on ciggy plugs and receptacles. Get blueseas mating kit and wire receptacle with 10 awg.

I use anderson 45 amp powerpole connectors instead of switch.

the 12v car charger is on my wish list. for now I charge my lap top battery with a MSW inverter. highdesertranger

I use a cheapo 400w MSW inverter and I run laptop 10-12 hours per day because I work online. No problems yet at all.

Of course I would like to get a 12v charger but it simply isn't worth the money to me right now.

NickTheoBennett said:
I use a cheapo 400w MSW inverter and I run laptop 10-12 hours per day because I work online.  No problems yet at all.  

Of course I would like to get a 12v charger but it simply isn't worth the money to me right now.

Thanks to all who gave input.   I'm just going to stick with this plan of using my MSW.

Latest posts