12 volt roof AC

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oricha1984

Reaction score
Is there such a thing as 12 volt roof AC?

I bought a work cargo van that has no AC stock. Trying to figure out the best way to add AC while driving and/or camping.

Thanks.

Sent from my Life One X using Tapatalk

you need around 700 watts of solar in good sun to run the most efficient window A/C. The lowest rated one that I know of pulls 410w once the pressure has come up on the compressor. I have seen 12v A/C for truckers but it takes more power and produces fewer BTU's.

I keep hearing about the "zero breeze" portable AC that runs 5 hours on lithium batteries. It's suppose to use a new efficient "rotary compressor". If this AC works as advertised it will definitely change everything. It is suppose to be released sometime this year. According to there website its rated 1100 btu, and uses between 120 and 150 watts. The lowest temperature it reaches is 44.6 F.

With alot of foam insulation all you need is a small AC to keep your van cool. One of the house AC's would be overkill for a well insulated van. 

Myself all I use is a small 12 volt swampcooler (3 amps) to keep my van cool but I have the whole rear of my van covered in foam insulation. But if a small efficient AC comes along I jump on it for the real hot humid days. 

The problem with the roof AC is that it takes up space where you might put a solar panel. And even if you could put a solar panel next to it, it will probably be blocking the sun.

The ZeroBreeze is now shipping to Kickstarter backers. Battery pack is an option and costs a fair bit extra. 5h battery time on medium and 3.5 on high is what is advertised. Output temp is POTENTIALLY 44.6F. 85F ambient temp yielded 45F at the exhaust port iirc. I've been tracking it a bit, haha. I didn't back on KS but will likely pick one up.

There's no good option for the OP without a generator or huge solar array. Too much power draw.

that Zero Breeze is going to pump more hot air out the back then cool air out the front. 12 amps at 12v is not a small draw. if you were to run this for 8 hours that is 144ah. highdesertranger

I live in Florida, so hot and humid here.

I'm thinking of a small generator on a hitch/rack on the back and a portable unit behind the driver seat.
I would go with the smallest portable unit available (8000 BTU I think) and the smallest generator that can run it (I need to research that one)

another point, 50 square feet means nothing for an AC unit, the unit of measurement should be cubic feet. you could have an area that is 50 square feet x 1 foot tall or you could have an area that is 50ft2 x 10 ft tall, makes a big difference. misleading at the very least. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
another point, 50 square feet means nothing for an AC unit, the unit of measurement should be cubic feet. you could have an area that is 50 square feet x 1 foot tall or you could have an area that is 50ft2 x 10 ft tall, makes a big difference. misleading at the very least. highdesertranger
I really don't want to make this a science experiment. But it seems to me that a portable 8000btu unit should cool of a van fairly quick.
Here are the unit and generator I have in mind.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006PFIA6U/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1_1_2?smid=A5D5QHQMB730E&psc=1#
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005ND19AE/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1_1_1?smid=A4ZSBADJP7DJM&psc=1

The breeze will provide just that...a cool breeze to sit in front of. You would need the rear outlets mounted against a wall so that the heat would vent directly outside and even then it's a very small amount of space it can cool. Even less when it is humid and that's if you started before everything was heat soaked.

jimindenver said:
The breeze will provide just that...a cool breeze to sit in front of. You would need the rear outlets mounted against a wall so that the heat would vent directly outside and even then it's a very small amount of space it can cool. Even less when it is humid and that's if you started before everything was heat soaked.
Yeah. I don't foresee it actually being worth it.

bardo, doubt you could, i use a full size propane reefer, and on a hot day if you open the door more then a few times a day it takes it forever to recover. now magnify that to an area the size of any vehicle the exchanger would be bigger then your vehicle, and you would have to feed it out of your "portable" 500 gallon tank. just an FYI

Check out U tube videos ; the guy from Vancouver in the purple class B runs a 5000 btu house AC off a tiny blue Yamaha generator that is super quiet .
Easy enough to hang the AC unit out the driver side window when needed .
Brace to hang AC unit made out of a piece of closet maid shelving hooked over the window lip and two chains hooked onto the rain gutter .

It's actually pretty simple. 

lead156.jpg

Attachments

• lead156.jpg
    lead156.jpg
    72.8 KB
I picked up a Harier (sp?) 8000 BTU portable unit that just fit between the seats in my cargo van. It ran great for a couple of hours, then after that it would keep the van cooler, but couldn't get it below 80 on a 92 degree day, sitting in the sun. I took it back to the store yesterday and they are sold out of the unit I had. I guess they had lots of returns. Instead they recommended an LG so I am going to give that a shot. I only really plan on using the AC when The Wife is along, and for those times we will be in camp grounds where we can plug in. The LG is a taller unit and actually has a little smaller footprint, so it is easier to get around when it is between the seats. I am building an exhaust that can blow out the drivers side window.

--joe

Latest posts