#10 or #6 wiring from solar panel to controller?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seeker

Reaction score
What wire size should I use from my single panel through roof to the controller?  I am just guessing it will be somewhere around 7 feet more or less.

Also should I just drill through roof above the controller and use rubber grommets and cover with sealant or is there a better way?

I did end up splurging for the MidNite KID and the panel is over 30 volts as I remember
A SEEKER

#6 is a huge wire! Will the controller accept such a large diameter wire? If you haven't checked that then I'd start there first....

If you are not going to add any more panels in the future then you can run #10 wire at that voltage.

Go #8 if you think your gong to add more later.

Keep the Charge controller as close to the batteries as practical.

Can't say what yet, but I intend to use a water proof junction box on the roof. The box will get attached using the same sealing butyl tape as vents are installed with.
Butyl sealing caulk around that. 

vanman2300 said:
#6 is a huge wire! Will the controller accept such a large diameter wire? If you haven't checked that then I'd start there first....

Yeah it is!  Sorry meant #10 or #8.

Spaceman Spiff said:

I have looked at the calculators for voltage drop but not sure what numbers to plug in with the panels and controller.  Do I use the max amps controller is rated for and the open circuit voltage of the panel?  I think #10 would be fine but cost is not much higher so I will probably go with #8.

I used the voltage drop calc based on your numbers and a 1 - 2% drop.

Mike R

I would go with the largest wire your controller can handle. for the roof penetration I would go with a waterproof box or a clam shell pass through. highdesertranger

highdesertranger Clam shell pass through? I will research but do you know a good one? Saw a few on marine applications for ventilation.

they can hold multiple wires. the bigger ones can hold two 8 gauge wires no problem. I have one with an 8 gauge, a coax cable and two 12 gauge wires. when you buy these the rubber plug is solid you drill holes though the rubber according to the number of wires and size of wire. btw they are waterproof. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
they can hold multiple wires.  the bigger ones can hold two 8 gauge wires no problem.  I have one with an 8 gauge,  a coax cable and two 12 gauge wires.   when you buy these the rubber plug is solid you drill holes though the rubber according to the number of wires and size of wire.  btw they are waterproof.  highdesertranger

Ahh. they don't offer that info up on the web site. Thanks

yeah, I even went back and read the instructions the way they explain it it's for one wire. but I have installed multiple wires with these several times. highdesertranger

Latest posts