Rear door surround finish ideas?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Artsyguy

Reaction score
My 2015 Chevy Cargo Express conversion is 99% complete.  It has tongue and groove 1/8" knotty pine strips running the length of ceiling and walls.  What hasn't been finished, and my OCD is making me crazy, is the metal surround where rear light wiring harness is stored (vertical and horizontal surfaces).  The surround is just plain steel with various holes in it and also a plastic wrapped wire harness running along the ceiling.

Standard stuff the way it comes from the factory...I'd like some ideas on how to finish off and any tips, photos, or suggestions on how to get a finished and professional look would be greatly appreciated.

I have some ideas, but would like to hear from others and not reinvent the wheel if you have a great solution!

Thanks!
Artsyguy

Got a pic I am not understanding what you mean by surround.

Also where did you get 1/8" knotty pine T&G. Got a link?

Highdesertranger

The wood came from Home Depot so it was easily sourced.  I'll TRY to post a pic, but this forum is the worst for trying to get a photo up...Stay tuned.

IMG_2863.jpg
ZuTIQR

This is an earlier unfinished van photo that I found on my phone. Ceiling has been completed, crown molding on wall sides and a different bed, but you should get the drift of what I am trying to accomplish.
thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2863.jpg
    IMG_2863.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 32
I've wondered the same . Thought of a scribed panel, adhered fabric, mosaic of some sort...
I'm just gonna let the curtains cover it for now.

Wow, Artsguy that looks real good.

For the back I would use the same wood. I would just make a chase for the wires and just piece the wood in one at a time. I know it's a lot of work but the results should be great.

Highdesertranger

Stand-offs thick enough to clear the wire bundle, then boards on top of those, cut to fit the curvature of the walls/roof.

Thanks for the ideas! I like Mr Noodly's idea of using wood, and it would look really great covered with brown vinyl or the leather on Amazon. Thinking a thin layer of foam under vinyl or leather wrap would let the fit be more finished looking. Whatever I do, I want to devise a way to easily remove the panels so I can have access to wiring if needed. Maybe Velcro strips? Looks like a trip to Home Depot this weekend!

If you want a real challenge find a tree with a branch and sand to perfectly match the area and saw it into halves, hollow out the two pieces on the flat side for the wiring and join them seamlessly at the center of the door opening. stain to match the pine. Shouldn't take but a few minutes. Lol!!! Leave a few stub branches as a coat and hat rack.

How would it be done professionally?
Like inside car interiors?

I also thought of using foam padding...taped with that leather stuff ?

I’d go with noodly that way you can just screw on the top pièce, easily removed for accesss if needed later. That is the way I did both sides in my kurbmaster I also ran an old extension chord inside from front to back in case I need extra wires for something at a later date.

I went with hot glue and fabric. I had some faded overalls and used the strips with pockets so I have a spot to put a few odds and ends that would go on the nightstand.

For the sleeping area also consider summer protection from biting bugs over the bed.
-crofter

Gypsy108 said:
How would it be done professionally?
Like inside car interiors?

I also thought of using foam padding...taped with that leather stuff ?
 The thin layer of foam padding under the vinyl or leather covering is to give a smoother look to the finish.  Without it, when gluing on covering you will see every imperfection of the base layer below.  I'm thinking a layer of Luan, foam, and then covering.  Possibly exchanging Luan for foam core that is scored and folded over the steel where it bends around interior surfaces as this will need to cover at least 2 sides and possibly even 3...