PTSD and the police

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimjack

Reaction score
A forum member recently asked me a question about dealing with the police when you suffer from PTSD. The members information has been removed for privacy purposes, but here is the question:<br><br>
I have PTSD. &nbsp;Sometimes it is worse than others. &nbsp;Fortunately I've not been pulled over since I have developed this. &nbsp;I get enormous surges of adrenalin. &nbsp;Picked up a motorcycle off a buddy of mine and drug him out from under it...as an example of the level of adrenaline I get. &nbsp;I assume I would get an adrenalin surge if I got pulled over and I know I would if confronted. &nbsp;I also tend to get very defensive....fight or flight...thanks to the PTSD. &nbsp;When this happens I may have several different neurological symptoms. &nbsp;The most common is shaking and stuttering. &nbsp;Also common would be aggressive behavior even though I am not at all a violent person...more of the fight or flight response. &nbsp;If I can't get away from a situation my response is then thrown over into the 'fight' category.&nbsp;<br><br>Is there a way to communicate to a law enforcement officer that my reactions to them are beyond my control? &nbsp;How could I best handle this? &nbsp;Over the years that I've had this I've developed strategies for handling most situations. &nbsp;Mostly I just leave the stressful situation and otherwise I actively avoid places and people that are stressful. &nbsp;<br><br>Thank you for your help!
<br><br>This is a very difficult question. The one thing that is pretty much guaranteed with police officers nationwide is officer safety. It is drilled into our heads from day one at the academy. And the best way to stay safe is to control whatever situation you are in. It is why officers, when dealing with you, will direct you to stand in a certain place, or sit down, why multiple officers normally show up, why pat down searches are conducted. We are taught to control you for our safety.&nbsp;<br><br>And as important, is who we want to protect and in what order.&nbsp;<br>1)officer<br>2)officer's partner<br>3)innocent civilian/bystanders<br>and a distant (4) is the person we consider to be the "suspect"<br><br>Which means if it goes to a physical confrontation the officer will try to put you down fast and hard.&nbsp;<br><br>Not knowing more information about how your PTSD affects you or how fast it onsets, it is hard to give decent advice. Most officers have dealt with mental health issues and understand the difference between criminal and unable to control your actions, however the number one job is to go home after shift. If you become aggressive or challenging you will most likely end up in cuffs pretty fast. If you fight, you will most likely lose.<br><br>It might be helpful if you print up a professional looking 3x5 card and laminate it. Have it read something to the effect of: :your name &amp; date of birth, suffers from post traumatic stress disorder. confrontation and stressful situations will result in the following responses (include likely reactions from you). Please treat him/her in a calm and non aggressive manor." and have your diagnosing doctor sign it with his/her name,address, phone number<br><br>Upon first contact with the officer hand him the card and ask him to read it.<br><br>Feel free to embellish this wording and make it specific to your situation. This card will do two things. it alerts the police to your condition and hopefully calms their demeanor towards you. And, God forbid, things go poorly and you end up in jail it provides you with a great defense right out of the chute.&nbsp;<br><br>I understand the normal advice of follow directions, and remain calm may not work for you. When officers approach you they don't understand your condition. Its like a catch 22<br><br>I hope this helps. If you have any further questions feel free to post here or PM me.<br><br>

hello<br><br>I have&nbsp;"PTSD" which originally was listed as an "anxiety disorder" ....<br><br>too many months with infantry in combat ....<br><br>I like the suggested card information approach ....<br><br>blkjak ....

GRIMJACK (who works in fact as a Police officer) said:
"a professional looking 3x5 card and laminate it. Have it read something to the effect of: :your name & date of birth, suffers from post traumatic stress disorder. confrontation and stressful situations will result in the following responses (include likely reactions from you). Please treat him/her in a calm and non aggressive manor." and have your diagnosing doctor sign it with his/her name,address, phone number

Upon first contact with the officer hand him the card and ask him to read it.

Feel free to embellish this wording and make it specific to your situation. This card will do two things. it alerts the police to your condition and hopefully calms their demeanor towards you. And, God forbid, things go poorly and you end up in jail it provides you with a great defense right out of the chute.

I understand the normal advice of follow directions, and remain calm may not work for you. When officers approach you they don't understand your condition. Its like a catch 22"
==============================--=
That's fine for people with an official PTSD diagnosis.

Wonder if similar Written communication would help Drivers without such an official label.

I think it's a good idea to revive this thread.  There's a good chance the cop may be a veteran or have friends who suffer with PTSD and may have a better idea how to avoid an unnecessary conflict.  If there were some way to designate the veteran status on the drivers license that might be a n alternative.  I'm a veteran and it wouldn't bother me at all.

Sadly, many of our urban areas are virtual war zones, and I suspect there are a lot of people in the US living with PSTD who never spent a single day in the military..........

Although PTSD is associated mostly with veterans, there are those of us who acquired it in other ways. A friend of mine does have a Purple Heart and his license plate reflects that. I didn't get a Purple Heart for my service as an ER doc, but I got the PTSD as my thanks anyway. I've also been raped by police, so I have to exert tremendous control not to totally lose it if I get a knock on the van door..."Police!" I just pray that none of them lay hands on me. So many instances of gratuitous police violence today. I stay out in the woods largely so that I am less likely to encounter violent humans. I wouldn't mind being eaten by a mountain lion...just not cops.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I realize all people with PTSD are not all veterans and not all veterans have PTSD.  I was offering a band-aid not a cure.

Yep, I hear. I've tried using cards, especially since I have a service dog but don't have a "visible" disability. I'm also an adult autistic, which makes communication difficult under the best of circumstances. Mostly I stay out in the forest, away from people and cops, but one must come into town to do chores and inevitably that means interacting with humans in some way. Maybe I should tattoo it on my forehead:

AUTISTIC
PTSD
GOODBYE

(sorry, that's just my weird autistic form of humor [emoji16])

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

First of all, let's call it PTS instead, and can we all agree to drop the D.  My thought is that PTS is somewhat normal, especially with warriors who have seen combat.  I retired from LE, and I am a warrior.  I was involved in way more than my fair share of critical incidents.  I go on red alert anytime there's a loud noise around me.  I key on noise, light, and movement.  I have to sleep with ear plugs because I'll alert from a dead sleep if I hear any noise.  Sometimes I wake up with the pillow soaked.  When in public, one minute I'm happy-go-lucky enjoying myself and the next second I find myself focused on assessing a potential threat.  It can be as simple as someone approaching with an unusual gate, a facial expression, a change in pattern, a rapid movement, or holding hands in a certain posture.  My wife tells me I stop people in their tracks with a single glance.  She calls it the mean stare...  I don't realize I'm doing it... it's automatic and self-protective.  I never used to cry at movies, but now I always seem to find myself tearing up when a warrior dies.  I cry at the sound of bagpipes, or the sight of an American flag over a coffin.  I don't claim to understand exactly what veterans feel but I can certainly empathize...

Veterans, please know that most if not all police have a deep respect for fellow warriors, and many police are veterans themselves.  Police officers may not know you or your situation. They will tend to mirror and react to behaviors they observe in other people.  Be calm, and the officer will be calm.  Give respect, get respect.  Act tense, non-communicative, dismissive, or combative and it goes way bad in a hurry.  That's just a bad scene for everyone...   Regardless of any label or diagnosis, please know that our last and most basic fundamental freedom is the ability to choose how we feel about things.  How do you feel when approached by other veterans?  Hopefully you can find it possible to regard police as fellow warriors and feel at ease.  Just know you're with a friendly.

I like the idea of self-disclosure because it aligns with self-awareness and would tend to ease my tension, but I'm not so good with the whole sign thing.  A sign or card would make me think someone was gaming me... and would heighten my defensive posture.  I suggest to always have ID ready, calmly tell the officer your name and information, and let him or her know that you're a veteran and that you struggle with PTS.  Officers will instantly respect that and adjust their approach accordingly.   Sometimes it's just as simple as communicating your needs...

Good post Doubleone and thank you for your service.

Grimjack said:
...The one thing that is pretty much guaranteed with police officers nationwide is officer safety. It is drilled into our heads from day one at the academy. And the best way to stay safe is to control whatever situation you are in...
Yes, I'm all for officer safety, but I think this justifiable concern for personal safety leads to some negative things. When you come from the point of view that anyone might harm you then everyone becomes the enemy. Everyone's a suspect. Every one is presumed guilty of wanting to harm you until proved innocent. That can lead to officers feeling justified taking whatever measures to control the people they interact with -- including deadly force. Because the officers FELT threatened. Because the training "drilled into their heads" a heightened sense of threat. Treating everyone as suspects builds resentment and anger against law enforcement, which, ironically, decreases officer safety.
I don't know what the solution is. More training time spent on assessing whether there really is a threat? More training time spent on situation deescalation? I don't know. What do you suggest?