New $300 Fridge Option

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gideon33w

Reaction score
Just ran across this on Amazon. Apparently it also has an internal battery.
Not as deep as the comparable Dometic CF-18 and no reviews or good info really.
Their larger model apparently has a 1 year complete and 3 year compressor warranty.
Says it goes to -20c (-4f) which is interesting too. 

https://www.amazon.com/Alpicool-com...rd_wg=qa6EO&psc=1&refRID=M86RJ92TQZAD8PQM6Q2V

I don't buy things that aren't tried and true (or reasonably back up at the very least) but it's interesting.
Says the battery can keep it at 5c (41f) for 15 hours with ambient temp at 30c (86f).
The broken english doesn't inspire much confidence though, haha.

Regretfully still too expensive for me to try with no reviews at all! Hopefully means maybe prices on the tried and true will drop?!?!

I've seen the Dometic CF18 go on sale a few times and that is what is going in my new rig.
Pays for itself pretty quickly versus ice, food loss, and/or shelf stable only foods.
Not to mention the potential for a healthier diet and the resulting dividends payed over time.

Really, the only advantage this has over the CF18 is the internal battery and the flexibility that provides. Just the option to disconnect from the house battery at night and only recharge/run when at peak production hours would be a huge perk. I mean, you can do that with any model but there's cooling loss. That said, I don't truly need the depth which comes with the Dometic unit but I'm sure the shallow basin on this thing would be an issue for some.

Ultimately, one just has to decide if they are willing to fork out the dough for refrigeration while vandwelling.

The cheapest option that still provides real refrigeration is a small modified chest freezer but the size is a deal breaker for all but the largest vans, rvs, campers, or trailers.

I agree that a 12V fridge pays for itself for a full timer! I will have one as well before I go... I will want one with a good history though! Dometic, Engel, etc... I doubt I'll be picky about anything but price between the quality brands!

I have an Indel-B 30 liter and I think that is small. 20 liter? What kind of battery? Warranty service? I can highly recommend Indel-B. They are marketed through Truck Fridge.

Good find, something new. Who'll volunteer to be the pioneer on this one?

Dometic for budget and Engel for quality is my mindset on the popular two options.
Never even heard of the Indel brand. Where to buy and prices?
Well, I wont volunteer, haha. Too set in my ways on what works I suppose.

Before anyone goes and buys one that small in capacity I seriously suggest that you try a mock up of the inside dimensions and then try packing it with the items out of your fridge at home or the cooler you are currently using.

20L is seriously small.

I barely get away with 65L. The first couple of days after shopping I'm really glad that I have great packing skills.

Price out buying block or bag ice every 3 to 5 days for a year.

I saw a block of Ice for 3.29 here yesterday, though I have aslo seen prices 2x this.

365 divided 5 day intervals= 73 block of ice per year.

73x $2.79 = $203. 67 per year in ice, assuming one can get 5 days from a block of ice.

Then include the gas and inconvenience of having to get more ice, emptying the cooler of old stinky water, perhaps throwing away stinky water contaminated food.

The 12v compressor fridge and enough solar to power it are by far the single best improvement in my experience of 16 years of living from a van.

The more entries into the 12v compressor fridge world, the better.

I hope these more budget friendly models prove to be reliable for at least 5 years.

Gideon33w said:
Never even heard of the Indel brand. Where to buy and prices?

Indel-B is an Italian company that provides OEM refrigerators (and other items) to the trucking industry worldwide.

I have one in my new Peterbilt. 

(Paccar is the parent company of Peterbilt and Kenworth)...

DSCF1881 - Edited.jpg

DSCF1879 - Edited.jpg

DSCF1882 - Edited.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF1881 - Edited.jpg
    DSCF1881 - Edited.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCF1879 - Edited.jpg
    DSCF1879 - Edited.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCF1882 - Edited.jpg
    DSCF1882 - Edited.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 9
Almost There said:
Before anyone goes and buys one that small in capacity I seriously suggest that you try a mock up of the inside dimensions and then try packing it with the items out of your fridge at home or the cooler you are currently using.

20L is seriously small.

I barely get away with 65L. The first couple of days after shopping I'm really glad that I have great packing skills.

I think that is more of an individual need issue. While the shallow pan of this thing might be an issue I've had no problems with virtually the same capacity for one person.

Has anyone tried using a relatively small unit as a dedicated freezer?

I'm thinking use it to freeze a bunch of 2" PVC seawater "polar tubes", maybe a flat rectangle shape, that fits into the much larger super-insulated cooler for opening daily-use.

Getting good at managing that would I'd think give a lot of time-shifting flexibility, since the ice would stay frozen for 5-10 days, the freezer doesn't need to run 24x7.

I could run it opportunistically, during long trips, when weather is extra sunny, or worst case from a genny, also re-charging the bank. Or of course best case when shore power is available.

Any feedback welcome.

I don't see how you can come out ahead, to many conversions involved. just get a 12v of the appropriate size and run it. when I was looking the smaller units used the same amount of power as the mid size units and were not that much cheaper. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
I don't see how you can come out ahead,  to many conversions involved.  just get a 12v of the appropriate size and run it.  when I was looking the smaller units used the same amount of power as the mid size units and were not that much cheaper.   highdesertranger

This