LFI: Charging For Dummies

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Headache

Reaction score
I've been perusing the threads and although I've learned some things I feel like power is a puzzle and I've only connected a few pieces.  Unfortunately I don't have an analytical mind so unless it's spelled out kindergarten style with pictures I have an extremely difficult time connecting with the material posted.  I'm one of those "This goes here" learners as I watch you point to it.  Visual and textile is how I roll.

Being I'll be stuck in a church parking lot for awhile and I won't always have access to indoor power I'll need a way to keep my phone and laptop charged on the days it's closed all day.  I have a Samsung Moto something v6(it's 6 months old) and a Toshiba Satellite c675-s200.  I would also like to power or recharge some LED puck lights.  I'm using Luci lights for now but sometimes there isn't enough sun to charge them up for more than 5 hours use.  I'm in the land of liquid sunshine.

I was looking at using something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XKST1Y1/ref=psdc_348967011_t2_B018GE8JPY

but the AC receptacle looks funky and the 12 volt receptacles don't look big enough to be cig plugs.  The convenience with something like it or similar to it is that I can wall charge it when the church is open, use a solar panel when I get one/away from the church and it appears there would be plenty of recharge time to get me through when I could charge it back up again.

I was also pointed in this direction but I'd need a battery, the proper receptacles and someone to wire it all up for me which I don't have.

https://www.amazon.com/ECO-WORTHY-P...5050&sr=1-1&keywords=small+solar+systems&th=1

Unfortunately I can't have anything obvious out like suitcase solar panels and the like.  The church doesn't want the parking lot to look like an RV homeless camp.

I do know that with my other van there was a 110 amp alternator and a deep cycle battery.  I was able to use my laptop for hours.  Since I'm now unable to do the amount of driving I used to(so I can milk what life is left in the tranny) I need another option.  Here's the particulars:

Nothing obvious like solar panels propped up next to the van or visible wiring
Can't involve wiring, I'm not a sparky.  I'll save that for when I'm around those who can prevent me from setting myself up for a fire
Instructions preferably dumbed down or common sense obvious
Preferably a plug and play sort of thing

Discuss and thank you

Headache said:

Very misleading.  It's not a "generator", it's a lithium battery pack with a built in 200 watt inverter.  Which according to the specs, can only put out 158 watts.  The 200 watts part must be the start up surge rating.  And 60,000 mAH is actually 60 amp hours.  Which, if you discharge it down to 20% means you've only got 48 USABLE amp hours.  And I'm not even sure it comes with a solar panel.  But you could apparently plug it into a wall somewhere and recharge it for future use.

OK, looked at it a little further.  The AC outlet is some kind of "universal socket".  You can plug not only a regular US/Canadian plug into it, but also various plugs used in China, the UK, Europe, etc.

You're right about the 12 volts.  You'd have to wire up a cord with a ciggy plug socket, or Anderson power pole connectors, or something on the other end to tap it

Headache said:
https://www.amazon.com/ECO-WORTHY-P...5050&sr=1-1&keywords=small+solar+systems&th=1

Unfortunately I can't have anything obvious out like suitcase solar panels and the like.  The church doesn't want the parking lot to look like an RV homeless camp.

At 337 x 204 mm, the solar panel is actually 13 1/4 x 8 inches in a REAL measuring system.  You could use the battery clamps to attach it to your engine battery, then close the hood and let this panel sit on top.  I doubt if anyone would notice it or say anything.   You could then recharge your phone and laptop from your ciggy plug.

Problem is, it only puts out about half an amp, which means that over an 8 hour day, you'd get 4 amp hours out of it

ArkPak 730 + best G31 true deep cycle you can afford, best would be Firefly Oasis but $500+.

Yes you (with help) can kludge something equivalent together that's cheaper, but sounds to me like the vicar won't like you carrying a separate battery charger AND battery in to charge, and IMO that's the minimum.

Maybe stuff them into an ammo can, or plastic like Pelican is lighter.

You can likely do without an inverter.

You will HAVE to do SOME wiring even if it's just from one device to another.

Flexible solar panels directly on the van roof won't be noticeable, makes you more self-sufficient.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
I doubt if anyone would notice it or say anything.  

You could then recharge your phone and laptop from your ciggy plug.

You would be wrong.

If the cig plug worked and I was driving enough to keep it charged...

John61CT said:
You will HAVE to do SOME wiring even if it's just from one device to another.

Not if I use something that doesn't require wiring which is the point of this post.  It MUST be something I can use without DIY or obvious benchmarks of something cobbled together.

I DO NOT have assistance to DIY anything at this time.  I'm sorry if I missed something in my explanation or the examples I posted that didn't make this more clear.

I only meant if my suggestion seemed too expensive for you.

You are getting assistance here. If one of us offered to drive over to help would you be unable to accept?

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Problem is, it only puts out about half an amp, which means that over an 8 hour day, you'd get 4 amp hours out of it
Won't put out peak rating, solar gives about 4-5 useful hours depending on sun angle, distance from equator.

And yes, way too small anyway.

If you have semi-regular access to a power outlet (library, church, park, mcdonalds, etc) you could carry one or two portable power packs and charge them whenever you have the opportunity.  I have a couple of inexpensive ones, and if I charge the bricks along with my phone & kindle, I'm good for a few days.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=portable+power+bank

Or you could put a 12v battery in a trolling motor box, use a regular battery charger as needed.  I put mine on a folding cart for easy portability, and the box has ciggy plugs built in.
https://www.amazon.com/MinnKota-Tro...1493756973&sr=8-3&keywords=trolling+motor+box

These are the things I've been playing with while waiting until I can sell the house and get on the road.  Camping in my living room with rechargeable LED lights, 12v TV, etc.  I keep waiting for someone to send the wacky wagon to take me away. :p

The laptop won't run too many hours off anything that's small and light, you'd need to use maybe 3-4 of even the biggest size.

https://www.amazon.com/OEMTOOLS-24455-Personal-Source-Cables/dp/B00RI4467Y

In which case IMO you may as well get one big batt with **much** greater capacity.

If G31 lead is too heavy and you can afford it, ​Battle Born's 100AH LFP fits very neatly into that ArkPak, and you will get more **usable** AH from LiFePO4 as well.

John61CT said:
You are getting assistance here. If one of us offered to drive over to help would you be unable to accept?

Nope, but if you are driving from CT that's going to be a looooong drive!

My stating I have no DIY assistance here was in reference to my reality; I don't.  If someone were to come then that would be different.  I'm focused on things that are essentially plug and play because that is what I can deal with right now with no assistance in my locale at the present time.

mayble said:
If you have semi-regular access to a power outlet (library, church, park, mcdonalds, etc) you could carry one or two portable power packs and charge them whenever you have the opportunity.

Or you could put a 12v battery in a trolling motor box, use a regular battery charger as needed.  I put mine on a folding cart for easy portability, and the box has ciggy plugs built in.

I'm trying to find something all in one that I can charge both my phone and craptop from.  I could charge my phone with a brick but not my laptop but I'd be unable to charge the battery in the box in the church because then everyone would want to charge their car batteries in the church.  Until I get a "real" build going on this van I'm severely lacking free space and the church won't allow me to charge a car battery inside.

400WH = 30AH, 2 of the PPS-X will give more capacity, and yes has 19V output for laptop.

Are you saying the vicar won't let you recharge **anything** inside?

Then where will you be getting your power from?

Headache said:
It appears to be what I'm looking for and less than ArkPack, plus I don't have to have anything wired.
The ArkPak is not DIY, no more wiring than this last one or the smaller power packs.

I can only offer one suggestion here.  I read a blog once where somebody had a backpack with a power strip in it to which she had the power supplies for her phone, laptop, etc. plugged in.  She would go into the public library and set the bag down next to an outlet and plug the single cord from the powerstrip into it.  Done right, she only needed a couple of inches sticking out.  She would then sit there and read books or magazines while her stuff recharged.  Nobody ever said anything to her.  Probably didn't even notice, or if they did, they just didn't care.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Yes while traveling I am always plugging in wherever I see an outlet, bars, coffee​ shops etc.

Their cost is pennies even with a 100AH ArkPak in there (oof my back!)

But OP didn't want to drive more than necessary?

Maybe if you offered to do some handyman type work around the church they'd be a bit more charitable about letting you charge what you need to?

Note that the Ah rating of a power pack may be at 3.6v, so much less power than at 12v. Any power pack that is advertised as a generator is at best misleading.

This is why I dislike starting threads to ask anything. I set parameters for what I need or I'm looking for and some people spend a good portion of their efforts trying to convince me or to debate me as to why their way is best. Then become standoffish or a smart ass when I don't follow them like a sheep.

I didn't write the damn rules here but in order to stay here I have to follow them. If that isn't good enough that's on you. Their rules must be working because various versions of homeless safe havens have been in place here since the early 2000s. Go debate the pastor if you don't believe me. I'll be happy to provide you with the contact information of the gals running the parking program if you like.

I have medical issues which I do not care to discuss(even though relevant) as to why I can't cart a car battery around. I would have thought that my stating I won't be able to use a battery would have been good enough. If it's not good enough for you that's not my problem.

Sorry for being an ass but when someone asks questions about certain things because they want to know about certain things it does NOT help them when you keep trying to deviate away, and then guilt trip them or provoke them with smart assery because you assume you are being helpful.

I used to thing that the dumb question was the one I didn't ask.

blars said:
Note that the Ah rating of a power pack may be at 3.6v, so much less power than at 12v.  Any power pack that is advertised as a generator is at best misleading.

You're being too kind.  I think it's false advertising since they are storage and not creating power.  It is what it is and it's something I can work with unfortunately.  Until I get the needed repairs on my van so I can escape this damned state there's not much else I can do at this point but be creative within the rules.  I can't afford a decent set up but I can afford even less being kicked out at this time.