Yummy instant potato find

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheli

Reaction score
One of my favorite veggies is mashed potatoes but I don't always feel like spending the time it takes to make fresh mashed potatoes.  And I don't get the boxed instant potatoes because they usually require milk which I don't drink so I never have it in the fridge.

Last week my friend was telling me about awesome instant potatoes that only use water, called Idahoan.  I was like what?  And she said they were delicious and only $1 a pouch.  So of course I had to grab some and try them out for myself.  Yup.......we have a winner.  All you need to do is boil 2 cups of water them mix it with a fork and viola, yummy instant mashed potatoes, NO MILK needed.  Super quick and easy and yummy.

#IdahoanGiveaway.png

I thought I would share my new find.

Attachments

• #IdahoanGiveaway.png
    #IdahoanGiveaway.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 53
They are great, and I love that they don't need milk. Definitely will be a staple in my van pantry. hahaha

I also love the Knorr Pasta Sides and the Knorr Rice Sides, I get them for a $1 each too. Great cheap and non perishables for the van life. :)

I like 'em too , usually divide a pack in half into ziplocks a whole pkg is too much !
Also , you can use a few tbsp of powdered milk for other brands...

Good stuff for sure. One of my main uses for them is to thicken various canned soups that are too runny.

ZoNiE said:
Yup. good stuff.

Countless ways to spruce them up too.  I like mine with dill weed.

I remember as a kid mixing in ketsup to make a sort of tangy reddish-pink  concoction too.  Mmmm...lip smackin good!

Cheli said:
One of my favorite veggies is mashed potatoes but I don't always feel like spending the time it takes to make fresh mashed potatoes.  And I don't get the boxed instant potatoes because they usually require milk which I don't drink so I never have it in the fridge.

Last week my friend was telling me about awesome instant potatoes that only use water, called Idahoan.  I was like what?  And she said they were delicious and only $1 a pouch.  So of course I had to grab some and try them out for myself.  Yup.......we have a winner.  All you need to do is boil 2 cups of water them mix it with a fork and viola, yummy instant mashed potatoes, NO MILK needed.  Super quick and easy and yummy.

I thought I would share my new find.

Good stuff!  I have also purchased some good MRE mashed potatoes from Emergency Essentials. Just heat and eat the individual pouches.

I like to add some olive oil to mine. No butter, milk, or refrigeration needed. When I was poor I would add a can of vienna sausages, "juice" and all along with a few veggies. $1 dinner.

Pouches of chicken work well, too.

I like them too.   My Favorite is "Roasted Garlic, Parmesan, Baby Reds".  

Also for many years I have made Instant Mashed Potato Salad, it uses the cheapest instant potatos'  however tastes better with Idahoan.  Make them thick and add what ever you would for regular potato salad.  I add chopped onion...celery....bell pepper.....mayo & a little mustard...salt and pepper and a touch of garlic powder and dried dill.........sometimes chopped hard boiled eggs.

I was lucky a few weeks ago and Publix was buy 1 get 1 free = $1.42 for 2 & I had $1 off on 3 coupons so about .47 each.   I bought 30 and shared with family members.         TJB

rvpopeye said:
I like 'em too , usually divide a pack in half into ziplocks  a whole pkg is too much !
Also , you can use a few tbsp of powdered milk for other brands...

Wicked good idea, why didn't I think of that?  hahaha  One pouch is too much but currently I put the leftovers in the fridge and was wondering what I would do in a van if I didn't have a fridge.

Didn't know you could do that with the powdered milk, good to know.....thank you.  :)

My other favorite for mashed potato-in-a-box is Hungry Jack.
I start with the amt of water and just add powder till it gets as thick as I want.

When I make instant spuds I like to add ...a can of corn(or fresh in season).. or peas...or beans of any kind...some diced onions .....sliced black olives......tiny shrimp..chicken...chopped clams..hard boiled eggs..whatever I have ,,,not gourmet but gets the job done!
(Easy way to do eggs is put in water ,bring to a boil, shut off heat , cover and let cool,,,,done ! )

I do exactly the same as potatoes with brown rice but it takes longer to cook.
I put the pan of water and rice on my dash in the sun to "pre cook' but sometimes I forget and it cooks completely , saves lots of fuel... This method works for spaghetti etc too !
Got a cast iron dutch oven? It works the best IMO.

You can mix an egg into leftover mashed taters and fry them until crispy for simple potato pancakes.

An easy flavor enhancer is to use chicken or vegetable  stock or broth in place of water.  The potatoes will not taste like chicken, just richer.

VJG1977 said:
An easy flavor enhancer is to use chicken or vegetable  stock or broth in place of water.  The potatoes will not taste like chicken, just richer.

I'm a vegetarian but that is a great idea for those who aren't.  :)

VJG1977 said:
:)  I guess you stopped reading after the word chicken and you missed the "or vegetable"  :rolleyes:

No, I read it all.  Was just saying that was a great suggestion, not for me, but for everyone else.  hahaha

These are our favorite. Their new "loaded" flavors aren't all that great, in my opinion. I prefer the regular kinds myself. Well worth $1. That was a good selling point for us, no milk necessary. They are quite filling for what you get.

They will rehydrate with room temperature water. Boiling or even hot water isn't necessary. This is real handy if you're going to use them for potato salad.