the kam van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kamturbo

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Long time lurker but first time post.  Just wanted to share my van with you guys/gals and to say thanks for all the help that's provided on the forum (especially to Bob)!  This is a full-time rig and although I've only been living in it for a month now I'm pretty comfortable with vehicle dwelling from my past experiences with camping and "cheap" traveling.

Like most here I'm doing this for the freedom and simplicity.   I think this quote sums up best:  “Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a car that you are still paying for – in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.” - Ellen Goodman

I'm not normal  :)

Van details:
  • 2000 Chevy Express (extended w/ hightop already install) with 73,000 miles
  • Ex-border patrol van used by the state of Arizona
  • 200 Watts of solar
  • 225 amp-hours

DSC_4560_500.jpg

Looking towards the rear barn doors.  I'm 5'7" so I can sleep sideways comfortably.  Since I will be mainly chasing the snow in the winters the van is insulated with 2" of Polyiso on the sides and anywhere from 2-6" on the roof due the curvature.  So far I haven't had to use my heater but it hasn't been incredibly cold.  The wood paneling that you see throughout the van is only 1/4" thick so it's not as heavy as it looks.
DSC_4451_500.jpg

Here's the view looking into the front of the van. That's my shower with the folding door open.  The walls have been waterproofed with an epoxy-acetone mixture and have been covered with linoleum with seams caulked and taped. Hopefully it's waterproof.  I've tried to go as simple and non-electric as possible so the shower is your standard modified weed sprayer with kitchen spray head.  Works quite well for me!  Also, you might notice that I don't have a passenger seat. That's because my fridge is there. Had to make a big decision to remove the seat but the extra room is worth it. It's also where I have my 2 batteries stored.
DSC_4458_500.jpg

This pooper goes in the shower as well.  Had some leftover wood and decided to make a simple sawdust toilet.  Once again it's simple and works for me. Plus it was fun to make!
DSC_4462_500.jpg

The cooking area.  2-Burner stove with sealed propane compartment underneath.  The manual foot-operated sink pump helps me conserve water and batteries.  Also added a little diy porthole medicine cabinet for toiletries.
DSC_4456_500.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_4560_500.jpg
    DSC_4560_500.jpg
    201.9 KB
  • DSC_4451_500.jpg
    DSC_4451_500.jpg
    361.3 KB
  • DSC_4458_500.jpg
    DSC_4458_500.jpg
    296.2 KB
  • DSC_4462_500.jpg
    DSC_4462_500.jpg
    64 KB
  • DSC_4456_500.jpg
    DSC_4456_500.jpg
    56.7 KB
Here's the fridge.  It's on slides so when I'm in full discrete mode the fridge slides away from the front passenger area.
DSC_4465_500.jpg

Hopefully all these pics were embedded right. Haven't posted in a forum in ages. Thanks for looking! I have T-mobile so my connection can be spotty. Sorry in advance if I don't reply to any future posts quickly. Have fun everyone!

Attachments

• DSC_4465_500.jpg
    DSC_4465_500.jpg
    55.7 KB
STUNNING---right down to your awesome toilet seat! Thank you for sharing your pictures.

Very nice work Kam.
Welcome aboard !

That's gotta be the nicest interior I've seen. Crazy well done.

Makes me wish I was shorter. I'm nearly 6' so sideways ain't possible for me :) but man, GREAT interior work!

very nice craftsmanship. is that a port hole next to the shower? the first pic looks like the Eastern Sierra, is it? highdesertranger

I really like your interior finish! Is that just clear-coated pine? And if it's only 1/4", I guess its not T&G...did you re-mill it yourself? How is it anchored to the ceiling and walls?

Really a very nice looking home :)

highdesertranger said:
very nice craftsmanship. is that a port hole next to the shower? the first pic looks like the Eastern Sierra, is it? highdesertranger
Sure is! My family lives in Socal so i figure my first test of the rig could be done in the Eastern Sierras. I was out in the Buttermilk area and was completely blown away. Waking up to deer around the vehicle and no one else for as far as I could see.

Oh yes and that is a porthole. couldnt find a smaller medicine cabinet that fits my needs so i just made one instead.

Sent from my GT-I9205 using Tapatalk

BradKW said:
I really like your interior finish! Is that just clear-coated pine? And if it's only 1/4", I guess its not T&G...did you re-mill it yourself? How is it anchored to the ceiling and walls?

Really a very nice looking home :)
Actually it is T&G and its available from Lowes or HD for cheap. Its right next to the wainscoting stuff. Really easy to work with and provides decent support to hang stuff if needed. The finish is as many coats as clear wipe on poly that i could manage to put on.

Behind the wood are furring strips that are bolted to the metal ribs of the van. The wood is then drilled to these strips. Sorry i didnt take any pics during construction...got carried away building and not documenting.

Sent from my GT-I9205 using Tapatalk

is it actual T and G or is it Shiplap? I looked into portholes and they seemed expensive. can you give us some more info on it? thanks. again beautiful work. highdesertranger

Wow!!! I mean really, just... WOW!!!

Fantastic job!!

Since you are in a sharing mood, would you be willing to let me do a blog post of your build? It could be as easy as me downloading thi parts of this post.

If I begged, would you consider letting me shoot a video of it? (please don't make me beg--it ain't a pretty sight!) I'm just kidding, but if you would rather not I totally understand. If you are interested, where are you at and where are you heading? I'm at Cottonwood AZ but I'm planning to be in Pahrump, NV by April 14 and headed to the Alabama Hills and Lone Pine, CA after that. But I could met you closer to So Cal. I know good camping at Victorville.

Whatever you decide, thanks so much for posting here--it's gorgeous!

It just so happens that Pahrump has great camping and a super T-Mobile Signal. A friend was there with me and has unlimited T-Mobile, she watched videos 24 hours a day!

Nice work, I'm liking the T&G.
A quick question, is the ceiling vent powered and have you had any leak issues to deal with?
I ask because I'm considering that same version for my build.

highdesertranger said:
is it actual T and G or is it Shiplap?  I looked into portholes and they seemed expensive.  can you give us some more info on it?  thanks.  again beautiful work.   highdesertranger

http://www.lowes.com/pd_304510-17587-PNVG0802___?productId=3056263&pl=1&Ntt=paneling
Comes in a pack of 8 or so.  The description says "V groove".  Is that the same as T&G?  I'm not at all a wood expert.  I just buy stuff and make things :)  Noticed it's actually 0.30" thick and not 0.25" thick as I originally stated.  

I also used this stuff as liners for the storage compartments to give the van a nice smell:  http://www.homedepot.com/p/1-4-in-x...ic-Eastern-Red-Cedar-Planking-36422/205667315

True portholes are actually very expensive.  I found a porthole mirror on ebay (for $20-$30) and modified it a little to fit my needs.  Basically glued a metal duct collar to the back to give it some depth.  
http://www.homedepot.com/p/6-in-Starting-Collar-Take-Off-Snap-Together-SCF6/100396966

akrvbob said:
Wow!!! I mean really, just... WOW!!!

Fantastic job!!

Since you are in a sharing mood, would you be willing to let me do a blog post of your build? It could be as easy as me downloading thi parts of this post.

Sure Bob! You're welcome to use whatever you feel. After all, if it weren't for this site the van probably wouldn't exist :) I'll be taking more pics as soon as I can. There's more to the build than what I've shown so far. Just haven't had the time and weather (it's raining here in Zion) to get around to it. Just let me know what you need and if you need higher res shots.

You're also welcome to shoot a video of it too. We can PM each other with the details but I'll be in SoCal in a few days for a few weeks to visit family and modify the van a bit. Victorville's about 1 hour from where my family lives so we'll be in the same ball park. Afterwards I should be in Big Sur or Shasta if you're headed that way...

Matlock said:
Nice work, I'm liking the T&G.
A quick question, is the ceiling vent powered and have you had any leak issues to deal with?
I ask because I'm considering that same version for my build.

Thanks! Yes both of the ceiling vents are powered. The mushroom vent is connected to the battery and I have smaller one that is solar powered (http://www.amazon.com/Sunforce-8130...TF8&qid=1460212190&sr=8-1&keywords=solar+vent). Honestly I wouldn't go for the solar one as it's pretty weak and is probably meant for a more confined space. So far no leak issues. But I went a little crazy with the taping, silicone, and rubber sealant just to make sure water would stay out. Also, the mushroom vent sits underneath my solar panels (raised off the roof about 4 inches). It gets shielded from direct rain and helps a little...I think. I'll take a pic for you once it stops raining here.

If your roof is flat enough I would go for the biggest vent that fits. I wish I did but since my roof is curved I was afraid a large rectangular cutout would be hard to seal. Hope this helps!

I'm looking forward to Bob's blog post, I just picked up my new Ford transit today.