Get Paid to Catch Minnows in the Northwest, Really!!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsfish

Reaction score
There are programs in Washington and Oregon that pay a bounty on Pikeminnows. 'Minnows' must be 9" long and bounties START at $5.00 per fish. Season runs from May 1 through September 31. This is an effort to help salmon populations recover as the minnows feed on small salmon. One guy earned $71,000 in bounties in 2018!!

What's that white van doing by the river? Fishing for minnows!

You can start with this link for more information on how to get started.

https://www.google.com/search?clien...C4yMZgBAKABAaoBB2d3cy13aXrAAQE&sclient=psy-ab

Many people in my area do this. I always wondered why the heck soo many folks would be out in basically  row boats in the cold fishing.

Here is a list of the top 20 payouts... some folks are making a pretty coin off this.

http://www.pikeminnow.org/catch-data/top-twenty-anglers/2020-top-twenty-anglers

some anglers have earned more than $60,000 in five months

One person has over 24,000$ in bounty so far this year!!

In 2018 someone had over 70k!!

Thanks for posting gsfish!

I am wondering since it is possible to bait/scent for other critter harvesting, if there is something to lure pike minnows.

edit... looks like there are lots of strategies to scent the waters for pike minnow. I think this would be a great way for a nomad to spend the summers and earn some coin. Along the Snake and Coumbia there is a lot of great areas to explore and camp out. Seems like a good fit for nomad life..

No need to tow a boat. I have seen several rinky dink boats harvesting the pikes.. I imagine a canoe or kayak on top of the van would suffice.

Not just a lot of minnows but really BIG minnows. Catch with a worm on a hook. They must bite like crazy or someone is spending a lot of time fishing.

highdesertranger said:
that's one hell of a lot of minnows.  highdesertranger
going rate of..

Fish 1-25 pays 5 dollars per fish.
 26-200 pays 6 dollars per.
201+ pays 8 dollars per!

They also add some derby fun by tagging  a few for a 500$ bonus!

"Fish must have a total length greater than or equal to 9 inches. Fish less than 9 inches total length are not eligible for reward payment."

Nine Inch Minnows, maybe a name for a band.

I am doing a bit more research on this and found a great video here

How-To-Catch-Pikeminnow Instructional Seminar. It is 40ish minutes.

Great instructional!

I would think a prospector would view this as a sure thing! Lol!!! Judging from the small number of people making big bucks I imagine you would spend a few years just figuring out the habitats so you could find the ones you need to catch above 9”. It’s probably cheaper and easier to raise them than catch them! Just saying. We have a bounty on coyotes in Utah of up to $85. If you have a successful season the next year the state will pay you I believe $5000 a year to hunt. Utah also contracted to have carp removed from some lakes in the state. Like prospecting most will do good to come close to breaking even but after a few seasons watching the pros you could probably do well, make some friends and have some fun. I believe the federal and state governments pay to have people hunt or trap invasive or problem animals and fish. It is nice to get paid to do something you enjoy.

I wonder if the people making the big bucks are going to want to share much with newby competitors.

Probably send them on a wild minnow chase.

Their good spots are as closely held secrets as are HDR's camping spots.

There is probably more money being made showing how on YouTube!

I don't see why someone wouldn't just get a business license to do this and expense many of the costs. Fuel, food, bait, camping fees..etc.. all those things you need to pursue an income.

I imagine folks that are harvesting gold and minerals also expense those things needed to pursue in income...right??

I bet any of the big earners are also claiming those expenses on their taxes. I think the top earners are not worried about new folks because I am sure many newbies drop after the first week in cold weather without  even a nibble.

Whatever I end up doing for an income.. side or main.. I will have a business license for it.. I can take pictures and make a calendar for sale.. and expense my travels to get good shots. How hard is it to be a photo essayist?   pshaw

I imagine the dedication it takes to pull in the big money is quite high.. If I am already in the area.. which likely I would be, then why not see what happens... that entire stretch of country is diverse and beautiful. Northwest in the summer is hard to beat....

Id prefer this over campground host.. or harvesting apples or sugar beets.. or collecting aluminum cans.. but IF I was collecting cans.. I would be doing so under a business license.

Probably a good subject to start. Would you need a business license in every state? Would you have to license your vehicle commercially?

desert_sailing said:
I am doing a bit more research on this and found a great video here

How-To-Catch-Pikeminnow Instructional Seminar. It is 40ish minutes.

Great instructional!

Thank you!  :D1 user says thank you.jpg

Attachments

• 1 user says thank you.jpg
    1 user says thank you.jpg
    11.4 KB
If anyone was so inclined and in the area..

The season has been extended and they ar enow offering 10bux per fish regardless of having reached that level for payment.

They also doubled the 500$ special taggged fish to 1000$!

There is some good cash to made on this.

https://lcvalley.dailyfly.com/Home/...eminnow-Season-Extended-and-Rewards-Increased

"the 2020 harvest of northern pikeminnow is on track to be the lowest on record."
"Last year, anglers removed approximately 146,000 northern pikeminnow from the Columbia and Snake rivers. So far this year, that number is just over 88,000."

Is the decline due to a lack of nine inch minnow chasers or a lack of nine inch minnows in the wild?

A die off is not way out there.

wayne49 said:
Is the decline due to a lack of nine inch minnow chasers or a lack of nine inch minnows in the wild?

A die off is not way out there.
The article indicates that there are 28% fewer anglers this year and the corona schmorona forced a late start.

60,000 more large pikeminnow that are going to be chomping on all the baby salmon= higher salmon prices.

Looks like a 40% decline in the catch.
I guess the missing 28% of minnow hunters had more of the overachievers.

wayne49 said:
I wonder if the people making the big bucks are going to want to share much with newby competitors.

Probably send them on a wild minnow chase.

Their good spots are as closely held secrets as are HDR's camping spots.
If it's like the truffle and mushroom harvests in Oregon, there may be guns involved.