Gas One Butane Cans for $0.99

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KathyC

Reaction score
For those (like me) who love their butane stove, I bought a half dozen this morning at 99 Cents Only Store here in Cathedral City, CA.  

They may have them in other 99 only stores.

http://99only.com/stores/

I usually pick up packs at Asian grocery stores, usually comes out around $1 each, sometimes $1.20.

If you go through a lot, cheaper to get an adapter lets you run off a 20# propane bottle.

But it's great to have a portable self-contained stove to toss into a bag.

That is true. But besides temperature issues, I have yet to find a butane device that doesn't work just fine off propane.

Propane vaporizes down to -43°F.

Butane will not vaporize below 33°. So, below freezing a butane gas supply stops working.

But what the world calls LPG or camping gas is usually one or the other or mixed, and often the ratios vary depending on the season or location.

Propane dominates in the US, Canada and Australia.

I have a Coleman Butane camping stove. There is no adapter that will allow any propane feed to be attached. Other such stoves do not allow that. There is no threaded fitting on these stoves. There is one brand that has duel fuel capacity. There are the stoves that sit on top of a butane bottle, that is a different type bottle. Those have threads.
Duel fuel stove; https://www.amazon.com/GS-3900P-Por...-14-spons&keywords=coleman+butane+stove&psc=1
Canisters I use, bought at an Asian Store for about $1.; https://www.amazon.com/COLEMAN-CO-F...&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=coleman+butane+stove
Stove I use. I don't cook if my space is that cold.; https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Camp...&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=coleman+butane+stove

I didn't intent to raise the controversy of butane vs. propane or adapters or dual stoves and such. Just a quick post on a good deal that others might also appreciate.

Honestly, must every post be a battle? it's getting tiresome

Weight said:
I have a Coleman Butane camping stove. There is no adapter that will allow any propane feed to be attached. Other such stoves do not allow that. There is no threaded fitting on these stoves.
You can believe that if you like. But you're doing a disservice to the community by passing on misinformation, especially claiming to be certain about it.

Brand does not matter.

There may be many types of fuel bottles (tanks, cans, canisters) but for every single one there is an adapter setup allowing you to run them off 1# Coleman type propane bottles (1"-20) or 20# BBQ tanks (Type 1 QCC / Acme OPD , aka CGA 791).

The key to finding what you need is knowing the right terminology, good Google-foo, and persistance.

And note I'm not saying these adapters are readily available.

If you know someone that speaks Korean it gets much easier, they have incredibly high-quality gear over there, but of course not cheap.

.99 is way cheaper than any price I've found in the Chicago metro area.  The best I've found is about $1.50 at my local Korean grocery store.  The highest was $3.29 at a sporting goods store.

I bought a Coleman stove for a recent extended car camping trip, and found it to be excellent.  Propane stoves have their place, for sure, but the simplicity, efficiency, stability and compactness of this little butane stove is a thing of beauty.

see here we go again. the OP, Kathy wanted to share a good deal on Butane canisters. and the thread broke down into propane vs butane. she never mentioned propane of asked which was better, cheaper, interchangeable, etc. so drop it. if you all want to discuss propane vs butane and adapting one to the other start your own thread. any more off topic posts will be deleted. highdesertranger

KathyC said:
For those (like me) who love their butane stove, I bought a half dozen this morning at 99 Cents Only Store here in Cathedral City, CA.  

They may have them in other 99 only stores.

http://99only.com/stores/

Interesting news as I've just had Amazon decline to ship me butane to California. Googling tells me there have been many complaints about this from both sellers and buyers but no one seems to know why. There is no state law against it. I'm in Marin, with no 99 Only stores but I will check out the Asian ones. Hating and loving the internet in the same 10 minutes.

Martha

The extra cost involved in Hazmat items makes shipping it impractical for such cheap products.

If you can't find it locally where you usually travel, then it is better to convert to propane, which by the gallon is a lot cheaper anyway.

Woost2 said:
Interesting news as I've just had Amazon decline to ship me butane to California.

Good to know.  That was not the case a few months back when I ordered a case from Amazon (delivered to me in Cali).  Maybe I'll go back to 99 cents and get some more!

Found cans at asian market for $1.99. Bought one to test my new stove. Are they downsizing all the cans? I've seen 8.8 and 8 online but these are 220g 7.76 oz. Will be testing the stove and can outside tomorrow.

That's the standard size internationally, also for "campingaz" which is butane/propane mix for colder weather.

The Asian grocery distributors probably just buy containers of whatever's cheapest at the time, but I've never had QC problems with any of them.

Towns with multiple sources are usually better bets, the wonders of competition.

And besides dollar stores mentioned, restaurant supply businesses are worth calling, these are often used for catering and buffet cook stations.

I found an eBay seller of the top-notch quality G-Works any-to-any adapter / converter fittings, shipping from Korea is pretty reasonable at least much cheaper than dealing with G-Works directly.

https://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?isRefine=true&sid=lstefano2015

Note this type tank is called "canister" or "nozzle" valve.

The round squat style usually used for the little backpacking camp stoves is here called "screw type"

And for Coleman 1"-20 fittings they use "1 pound".

Yes a bit pricey but well worth it if you're going through more than a few bottles per month, propane by the gallon is so much cheaper will pay for the adapter pretty quick. And no more looking for the butane!

Plus very well engineered, should last a long time.

If you can't figure out from the pictures, forget the text :cool:, post a description of what you're trying to do and link to the adapter you're asking about, and I'll do my best to help.

Note as you are browsing you'll start to see Schenzen knockoffs very cheap, personally with flammable gasses used inside vans or tents I'd avoid these like the plague, but if anyone tries them let us know!

One pound propane bottles should not be used laying on their side. Be sure to keep the valve end higher than the bottom end.

I find the local Asian Market sometimes has USA brand w/8.8 ounces. Other times west pacific w/8 ounces. I haven't seen the smaller ones, but I guess I will soon enough. The price seems to stay the same. I bet their primary users will put up a fuss if things get too pricey.

Weight said:
One pound propane bottles should not be used laying on their side.
Same with the squat "screw type" butane.

The nozzle canisters (OP type) are designed to be horizontal, but are "keyed" to lie in a specific position for the inner draw tube, just like forklift propane bottles.

For people worried about the canister being so close to the stove flames, there are remote kits for sale to allow bringing the canister a couple feet away.

These are **very** dangerous, allow the canister to roll over, unless you get the "tripod" style one that maintains the horizontal canister in the correctly rotated safe position.

Any scenario that can result in an appliance designed for gas vapour use getting liquid instead can result in very "forceful flareups" aka boom bad!