'NomadLand' on NPR

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heard that story as I was driving home with a load supplies for my cargo trailer build. Felt bizarrely coincidental with a touch of omen.

Listening to the audio, I feel like it's just what she saw and does not represent everyone.
She felt that, from interviewing/following some people,  that "it's not a long-term solution."

Some people.

I have not read the book (since it just came out), but from the interview I feel like she's missing a big chunk.

Maybe that's good for some of us.

Doesn't look like a book I would want to have in my permanent collection, currently have over 5000 unread ebooks (too many free ebooks available) and not a good option at the moment, so put a hold (actually 2 --- physical & ebook) on a copy from the library. Have a feeling it may be a interesting/irritating/frustrating read; ... will try to remember to post a review in a few weeks (I'm at least fourth in line to borrow).

The book isn't intended as a comprehensive look at vehicle dwelling. It's about those hit hard by the economy, how retirement or even just affording a place to live is a dying dream for the middle class. The fact some people are living in vehicles is sort of a framework for that story. It's not just about people with college degrees and decades of managerial work history do crappy jobs -- which is becoming sadly common. It's those people migrating from crappy job to crappy job just to take care of life's basic needs. Some day they will become too old to do those jobs or travel around, which makes it unsustainable.

sometimesido said:
ok, you make more sense than the interview...lol

In discussing 250 pages in a couple of minutes, some things get left out or not explained very well. :D

bought the book yesterday and read it today. could not put it down. excellent immersive journalism. thought-provoking.

i can only imagine that it will blow the minds of casual readers who are not cognizant of the nomadic life as we are.

kudos to all who shared their stories and helped shape such an important book.

KathyC said:
bought the book yesterday and read it today.  could not put it down.  excellent immersive journalism.  thought-provoking.  

i can only imagine that it will blow the minds of casual readers who are not cognizant of the nomadic life as we are.  

kudos to all who shared their stories and helped shape such an important book.

If you're interested, with the help of some friends Linda May has finished the greenhouse on her property outside Douglas, AZ. Her little trailer is inside it. It's the first step toward her earth ship.

KathyC said:
bought the book yesterday and read it today.  could not put it down.

Thanks for the review, I'll add it to my reading list.

I downloaded the book last night and also find it to be a great read. Nice bit about cheaprvliving.com and Bob Wells too although I am just getting to that part.:)

There is a group of us going to see Jessica.  Anyone want to join us?
Jessica Bruder presents Nomadland at Powell's Books on Hawthorne
Monday, October 9 at 7:30 PM - 8:30 PM
3723 SE Hawthorne Blvd, Portland, Oregon 97214

Nelda said:
There is a group of us going to see Jessica.  Anyone want to join us?
Jessica Bruder presents Nomadland at Powell's Books on Hawthorne
Monday, October 9 at 7:30 PM - 8:30 PM
3723 SE Hawthorne Blvd, Portland, Oregon 97214

Say "HI!" for me and give her a big hug. I'd go if I could.