Thinking it over

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ken, your story is so very similar to an audiobook I just listened to called 'A Man Called Ove'. It is fiction but truths can always be gleaned in good stories.

He learned that he found meaning in life without his wife only when he was practically forced in to helping out a new pushy neighbor. Day by day as he went about his routine in the world, he found that he could still be useful, even something as simple as reading a story to a preschooler, and this slowly lifted his depression somewhat (I can only imagine losing a lifelong partner will always leave an emptiness).

You sound like you have so many skills to offer that could be benefit many others. I hope you realize you are far from worthless.

Ken, your story is so very similar to an audiobook I just listened to called 'A Man Called Ove'. It is fiction but truths can always be gleaned in good stories.

He learned that he found meaning in life without his wife only when he was practically forced in to helping out a new pushy neighbor. Day by day as he went about his routine in the world, he found that he could still be useful, even something as simple as reading a story to a preschooler, and this slowly lifted his depression somewhat (I can only imagine losing a lifelong partner will always leave an emptiness).

You sound like you have so many skills to offer that could be benefit many others. I hope you realize you are far from worthless.
You are right of course. However I still feel empty, still have the knot at the pit of my stomach. I have made the decision to run away from this place. In two months I'll be on the move. (maybe 3 months)
I'm only waiting for better weather in the spring. I have no plan, no destination, no end game, no route.
On the day I pull out I will wet my finger stick it up and see which side gets cold. I'll do that everyday or week or month until the ache is gone or I don't wake up. At least I won't be waiting for Linda to come home any longer. I've come to know she is never coming home again.
So you are right, that I've still have many things to give. I'll find others who need what I have and give it away, that alone will make my days worth something. Maybe just a kind word, maybe I can fix something, at least make some else's day better in some unknown way.
Next month the property taxes will be due, The paperwork is ready to sign off our home to my son, He can sell it, rent it out or live here. I am closing the book on the past and starting over with no expectation.
This trailer that I'm living in was our planed unending adventure, I have bought a new smaller one. I can't bring myself to live in our house,(home) It will remain as she left it until my son takes charge this spring. Her car is in the garage with a battery tender on it for him to use or sell. My old pickup will tow the new trailer anywhere I end up each day.
I'm going to smell fresh air, really look at new things, share an old timers story about how it was before the lawyers took over our country and ruined it. Times before running water and electric lights, how it was before paved roads everywhere, before high speed living was normal, before tv, when neighbors really cared and helped each other. When a promise was kept like my wife and I had, for better or for worse, in sickness and health, until death do us part. The end has happened and now a new beginning, alone again.
Ken

Welcome, Ken:

I admire your attitude. As for eating, there are packets of many flavors of pre-cooked rice (just empty the packet into a pan, pour Wendy's chili on top and heat it up) and the dollar store has foil packets of tuna (you can put some mayo and relish right in the packet, stir and have tuna salad for a quick sandwich). I make gourmet oat meal, using a packet of instant and adding a scoop of trail mix. And don't forget ramen noodles...just add rotisserie chicken and frozen veggies and some spice or sauce. Now you have enough know-how to prevent starvation! So hit the road and let the adventures roll.
I did it tonight. cup of water, cup of milk, big chunk of butter in a sauce pan, brought it to a boil, added a package of creamy chicken flavor fettuccine (sp) from a dollar store, boiled it for about 10 minutes. Now I'm a chef, I can cook anything. Got a package of precooked sausage patties, a 1/2 dozen of eggs. so tomorrow I'll have Sausage and eggs, toast and coffee with enough stuff left to make something else, maybe some foreign toast. French I think.
Oh, I ran out of propane before I started, that's why the hot water heater quit. I had two spare 30 pound tanks in the back of my pickup so was off and running quick like a bunny.
You may think your messages fall on deaf ears but not mine. I read, I listened and then took action. I'll sleep better tonight and many nights to come with a full tummy.
Thank you. Ken

Can anyone and everyone give me your opinion? Please.
Thank you.
Suzanne

One thing comes to mind... “A ship in port is safe, but that’s not what ships are built for.” ---Grace Murray Hopper, Rear Adm., US Navy

Hopper was a founding mother of what we now call Computer Science and at age 79 was the oldest officer on active U.S. naval duty when she retired in 1986. And yes, she was still active and engaged at that age. You can do this. Wishing you fair winds and a following sea.

One thing comes to mind... “A ship in port is safe, but that’s not what ships are built for.” ---Grace Murray Hopper, Rear Adm., US Navy

Hopper was a founding mother of what we now call Computer Science and at age 79 was the oldest officer on active U.S. naval duty when she retired in 1986. And yes, she was still active and engaged at that age. You can do this. Wishing you fair winds and a following sea.
Well put. Just doing it! That's what I am about. Not wishful thinking. Pearl Harbor, December 7th 1941 comes to mind. Safe harbor?
Ken