Strut issue?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Make sure the shop rate doesn't change if you bring your own parts. Sounds too cheap to me...

Edit: A friend just told me to tell you to make sure that when they said $15, they didn't mean $1500...

The school mechanics issue is a great idea. You are way smarter to get it done there. Plus you you are really smart to use your own parts.

Just be prepared for it to take longer than expected. And for there to be the possibility of more cost for parts that don't fit (rare but happens). Keep all your receipts.

I had struts replaced in the front of my Toyota Avalon about three years ago. Same prices you are seeing. A year after I was having major noises in the from end. Took it too a mechanic who found the previous strut guy had not tightened the strut mount and strut correctly. It was loosening up and rattling in the strut mount.

It seems the new way to get bargain work is to buy your parts separate and just pay for the labor to install.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. Am thinking of buying a Toyota Sienna soon.

Unfortunately strut issues are a kind of voodoo science for cars and vans that can either definitely be the repair issue. Or they are being blamed because it's easy to get $500 more in a marked up hyped repair. Kind of like dental work.

Off Grid 24/7 said:
Make sure the shop rate doesn't change if you bring your own parts.  Sounds too cheap to me...

Edit:  A friend just told me to tell you to make sure that when they said $15, they didn't mean $1500...

Eeks! Thanks for your concern. It's a community college that has an auto mechanic program. I called and emailed around to several local colleges last fall to see if any of them did that sort of thing, stating simply that I'm disabled, I live in my van and cannot afford the repairs I'm told need be done, is there any chance they could use my van as part of their program? This is the college where I matched their criteria, but said I'd have to contact them again mid-January since they aren't currently working on struts/shocks. I did, brightly informing them that I was still interested, could they fit me in? They said let us know again mid February. But then a few days ago I got a call and an email letting me know that they're ready to actually schedule a date, that's when I got the quote and such. So, it's definitely not the normal convenience of "I want the work done, here's my van" type of approach.

I explored this avenue in the first place because I had heard some will do it and only charge for parts, but they usually have pretty strict criteria for which ones they'll work on. E.g. one college had a policy that only students or relatives of students could have their car worked on in the program. 'Cause everyone wants cheap repairs, right? This one didn't have that particular restriction, it seemed more up to the discretion of the main instructor. He seems a pretty cool guy, I asked and he might even manage to swing me sticking around for the repairs! I said I'd be very interested to watch because I'd like to learn as much as I can about how my van works.

Goshawk said:
The school mechanics issue is a great idea. You are way smarter to get it done there. Plus you you are really smart to use your own parts.

Just be prepared for it to take longer than expected. And for there to be the possibility of more cost for parts that don't fit (rare but happens). Keep all your receipts.

I had struts replaced in the front of my Toyota Avalon about three years ago. Same prices you are seeing. A year after I was having major noises in the from end. Took it too a mechanic who found the previous strut guy had not tightened the strut mount and strut correctly. It was loosening up and rattling in the strut mount.

Good to know, yikes! Glad you figured that out. :)

Thanks! ::) I called up the Toyota dealership both to get the exact parts numbers (this required giving them my Sienna's VIN) and also a comparative quote. Hopefully this should preven tany surprises of parts not fitting.

I was surprised though that the OE rear shocks from dealership are the same price as the KY Excel shocks from autozone after 20% off, perhaps a few cents cheaper.

I should have enough info to confidently purchase the parts today.

Does anyone have final thoughts on OE vs. OEM (Original Equipment for the aftermarket) vs. economy? I've spoken with a few people about it already so I've got a general idea, but I can't have too much info on this!

You all are awesome, thanks. :)

Toyota parts are really good parts. Their standards are much higher than others. But even given that I still will buy a non-OEM part if it's not too critical. I always buy the gas cartridges that are the least expensive, as example.

Does anyone give parts warranties any more?

Of note: am considering some craigslist shade tree mechanics in the future. Some give a great deal. But only trust them if they except me looking over their shoulder until they build a positive reputation with me.

Goshawk said:
Toyota parts are really good parts. Their standards are much higher than others. But even given that I still will buy a non-OEM part if it's not too critical. I always buy the gas cartridges that are the least expensive, as example.  

Does anyone give parts warranties any more? 

From AutoZone is a limited lifetime warranty, from Toyota is a one year warranty.

You mention gas cartridges, I gather that is a component of a strut or chock? I've seen to possibility of buying components separately but don't trust myself to do so competently without a lot of help, I was planning on just buying the complete shocks and struts to make sure I'm getting everything needed. Is there significant savings on buying all components separately?

No. Gas cartridges are used to hold car hood up or hold hatch up. To me they are non critical. Shock cartridge is critical. Get the most reliable with warranty.

Lifetime is kind of not helpful. Will the parts store or the original manufacturer still be around five years from now? Will they honor the agreement or will you need to show the blood document with your soul attached? Teasing because it's so hard to get companies to honor warranty. Company might make you go through hell to honor a warranty.

I ordered the parts!! $280.75 total.

Ended up getting the two rear shocks from the Toyota dealership, $81.67 total for both of them, including tax!

For the front struts I got the KYB Excel-G from AutoZone. When I noted that RockAuto.com (recommended earlier in this thread) wanted about $150 for each and AutoZone only wanted $109, plus a 20% discount, I figured it was probably a good deal and worth it. $193.08 total for both struts, including a $5 rush fee to make sure it arrives on time.

I hope it's okay for me to note here how much I just now saved simply by having an AmEx credit card. AutoZone's current promotion is a 20% off any order over $100 that's shipped to home (not store), and also a $10 gift card included. Through American Express, I have Shoprunner for free, which, since they're partnered with AutoZone, is free 2-day shipping, free returns and $5 to express ship something. Well, in this case "2-day" shipping was arriving next Tuesday, and the work is scheduled for Wednesday morning, and sometimes with 2-day shipping they arrive late when the mailbox is closed so it's a failed delivery and a 24 hour delay. As much as I try to save dollars I decided to spend the extra five for some peace of mind.

Total savings, due to happening to have Shoprunner as a free credit card bonus: $42.80 for the 20% off, plus the $10 store credit, and $2.80 for 1% cash back. With $5 extra spent.

Of course next time I'll hopefully order the parts further in advance to avoid this rush, but it's not the first time this benefit has saved my butt and I doubt it'll be the last.

Holding my breath that it'll all work out!

What Amex card source did you get one from? Have never heard of this benefit and sounds like it's worth having. My current Amex card is being replaced with another MasterCard which will be canceled. It's not easy to pick the right credit cards that give you full savings, even if you pay it off every month.

This is ShopRunner.

It's its' own thing, costs I think like $80/year to be a part of. It's basically kinda a version of Amazon Prime for non-Amazon online stores that chose to partner with them. There's often a free trial period for new sign ups.

If you already have an AmEx card, I recommend signing in online and then selecting the tab towards the left titled "benefits". If your card includes the ShopRunner benefit, you should be able to scroll down and see it there. You have to create an account with ShopRunner to actually enroll in the benefit, if you have it. My card is a Blue Cash Everyday, I'm not sure which of their cards include this benefit.

got a shoprunner complementary membership. thanks bitty. will see if it gets me any savings

Bitty --- one last thing to mention is to get the transmission serviced. Regardless of miles. And to think about a transmission cooler installation if there is not one already. Could save you for longevity on that.

I also have a Blue Cash Everyday without the annual fee. The annual fee card has higher returns. One doesn't need to spend a ton of money to justify the annual fee. That is one of the hardest cards to get, so make sure your credit is good because if you apply and get denied, you get a ding on your credit score. If you are border-line on credit worthiness to get the next best card and get dinged for reaching too high by trying to get the best card possible, you may then have a credit score that isn't good enough for the second best card. Then you would have to settle for third best.

I need to look into that Shoprunner thing. That one slipped right by me.

Goshawk said:
got a shoprunner complementary membership.  thanks bitty.   will see if it gets me any savings

Yay!! Glad I could help!

Goshawk said:
Bitty --- one last thing to mention is to get the transmission serviced. Regardless of miles. And to think about a transmission cooler installation if there is not one already. Could save you for longevity on that.

By "getting it serviced" are you referring to changing the transmission fluid? My dad did that on this van just before we swapped vehicles. I'll look into the transmission cooler thing, thanks.

Canine said:
I also have a Blue Cash Everyday without the annual fee. The annual fee card has higher returns. One doesn't need to spend a ton of money to justify the annual fee. That is one of the hardest cards to get, so make sure your credit is good because if you apply and get denied, you get a ding on your credit score. If you are border-line on credit worthiness to get the next best card and get dinged for reaching too high by trying to get the best card possible, you may then have a credit score that isn't good enough for the second best card. Then you would have to settle for third best.

I need to look into that Shoprunner thing. That one slipped right by me.

For anyone interested in advanced credit score/card stuff the MyFico forums is a really awesome place to get info.

I wrote a post actually explaining things, but in the 5 minutes it took me to drive to a spot that had enough reception to post it my laptop forced a restart that lost the post. Seeing as I'm in pretty significant pain I'll just do highlights.

Struts got replaced yesterday, vehicle now drives with very loud clunking sounds. Contacted them and expect to hear back tomorrow.

Was unable to to remain with the vehicle as I was having very severe medical issues at the time caused by a single sip of bad apple cider the food bank had placed in my hands an hour earlier. Bf stayed home from work, lots of calls with my doctor to keep me out of the ER, etc. Only picked up vehicle today.

Shocks not replaced due to having stuff in van. Didn't know it was an issue. Shocks "seemed fine", replacement not necessary, though at 146K miles typically recommended replacement, haven't made up my mind for certain.

Alignment not done, scheduled to happen Tuesday along with shocks if that happens. Though I expect to hear back sooner. Not sure how safe this vehicle is to drive right now.

Very kind people, waived the $15 shop fee. Massive shop with I'd guess 200+ vehicles in parking lot and field, most new, some dealership donations. Good program and I hope it works out.

It sounds like something was not tightened 100%

Tell them to go ahead and replace the shocks.  At 150K miles~~~ You have the parts and it is budgeted~~~  If it is unable to happen~~ So be it.  :angel:

Alignment is critical to keep from destroying tires.

dang I can't believe this, I guess you are saying the struts were replaced and they released the vehicle to you without doing an alignment. this should have never happen. the fact that the struts were replaced means the alignment is off, this vehicle should never have been released. this plus the knocking noise makes me highly suspect of this place. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
dang I can't believe this,  I guess you are saying the struts were replaced and they released the vehicle to you without doing an alignment.  this should have never happen.  the fact that the struts were replaced means the alignment is off,  this vehicle should never have been released.  this plus the knocking noise makes me highly suspect of this place.  highdesertranger

Yes, that's exactly what happened. They informed me the struts were on, and since I wanted at least an alignment too we need to schedule a date, soonest out was Tuesday, (then 6 days away), so I should come pick up my vehicle.

It's a dealer training academy: http://www.shoreline.edu/auto/

They did not fix the struts correctly. I had this exact same problem on my Toyota Avalon. I am talking exact. You can call my my mechanic on Monday and talk to Robbie Bryson at Bryson garage in Charleston SC. ask them what they found when they had to fix the struts on my 2005 black Toyota Avalon. Believe the had to tighten the strut connection. Let me know if you need a phone number.

And yes you need an alignment at the same time is strut replacement.