Hello from Virginia.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iDave

Reaction score
First time poster. I'm Dave from VA. Howdy.

In a nutshell, 31 years of marriage is coming to an end. As a result, the house will be sold. 28 of those years I've been a self employed home improvement contractor. I have 5-6 months to decide what to do. My current vehicle is a 2000 Toyota Tundra 4x4 with 85K miles. It has a commercial work cap which is capable of hauling all the tools necessary to relocate and start a new life anywhere, probably out west. I do not want to be tied to another mortgage, ever. Also, I'd prefer to not to rent an apartment or room.

I'd like to know your thoughts about the configuration I'm considering: using this truck, purchasing a white cargo trailer and building it out for a practical home dwelling, and towing it to wherever my destination leads. Would it be feasible to stealth park along the way using the setup I'm considering? Thanks for sharing your thoughts, and for this wonderful forum.

Here's the truck. (I probably won't bring the ladders.)

IMG_0769-L.jpg

Also, I'm no stranger to adventure, but living without a stationary dwelling is a completely foreign undertaking. If you're interested, click the photo for a slide show to understand more about who I am and what my passions are. Thanks. Hope to meet many of you, out there.

Dave :)

I say you could do it. You'll have the contractor look and not the vehicle-dweller look. I would keep a couple ladders for that reason. Normally I find the idea of towing anything to be restrictive, but in your case it certainly makes sense to have a work vehicle with your tools and a tow vehicle that you can park while running a job.

Make sure your transmission is happy with the weight, and that you have all you'll need for amenities in the trailer. :)

Welcome aboard Dave,
TMG51 covered it. If the truck is sound for hauling your 75% ready.

I would guess the hardest part is paring down your tool collection for travel and what you'll need in the future. You might consider storage with someone that can forward or deliver items to you as needed later on. A ladder or two can be carried on the trailer to help with the stealth look.

I'd work out of the truck and live out of the trailer. Add solar and your good to go. If you can negotiate parking on the job-site on occasion you'd benefit too. Lastly consider a sky-lite Vs windows in the trailer. Or maybe just front facing windows so you could keep and eye on the Toyota.

Good luck to you.

Hi Dave, welcome! Love your Strom pic, that was my cross country tourer of choice for about 10 years.

Vstrom? 4 Non Blondes? My kind of guy :) Excellent video, do you have a more in depth story on ADV Rider?

I'd say a cargo trailer built out and your truck would be fine. I don't think anyone would give it a second glance.

You could park that rig at or near any job site and blend in perfectly. A lot more construction workers actually live in their van or truck while working on jobs than people may realise.

You may want to outfit the trailer to hold the tools then switch to a van to live in. It is easier to extract yourself from possible tool thieves if you can get from where you sleep to where you drive without going outside. If you hear people trying to break into your van, all you gotta do is start your engine and drive off. Just starting the engine and revving it loudly will likely give them a much deserved heart attack. Throw in lots of horn honking and all the cops will have to do is shovel them into the back of a squad car.

If anyone actually associated with the site asks you anything you can always just say, "I just arrived." It won't be a lie and it will be enough for them to leave you alone till you can eat breakfast and drive off. If they press the issue, you can always just say, "Oh, crap! I'm at the wrong place."

Greetings from West Virginia (southern Ohio & eastern Kentucky)  LOL  I live in a Tri-State area. 

Let me offer you this video as it should be approximately what you are thinking of doing. (part 1)

GrantRobertson said:
You could park that rig at or near any job site and blend in perfectly. A lot more construction workers actually live in their van or truck while working on jobs than people may realise.

You may want to outfit the trailer to hold the tools then switch to a van to live in. It is easier to extract yourself from possible tool thieves if you can get from where you sleep to where you drive without going outside. If you hear people trying to break into your van, all you gotta do is start your engine and drive off. Just starting the engine and revving it loudly will likely give them a much deserved heart attack. Throw in lots of horn honking and all the cops will have to do is shovel them into the back of a squad car.

If anyone actually associated with the site asks you anything you can always just say, "I just arrived." It won't be a lie and it will be enough for them to leave you alone till you can eat breakfast and drive off. If they press the issue, you can always just say, "Oh, crap! I'm at the wrong place."

As a long-term goal I agree to make the vehicle the "house" and the trailer the "tool shed." It would be more self-enclosed for living, as you say. And trailers are no strangers to job sites. In the short term though it seems he has his work truck ready and needs to be out of dodge in 6 months so it only makes sense to outfit a house trailer.

I have to say I don't agree with pretending you belong at a job site, though. I've worked construction crews and unless you're talking about a huge commercial operation, these guys tend to know their own people and won't take kindly to any bullshit. The "Oh, crap! I'm at the wrong place" line is a safer bet. I've seen that one happen more than once.

Thanks so much to each and everyone of you for providing confidence to carry on through these uncertain times.

Rugster, I do indeed. Not gonna post a link as I'm a new member here and haven't read the rules. But it's there, under the same screen name. It's a slow progressing RR, but after shooting 14000+ photos, I'm determined to finish it admist the chaos. :)

Thought I recognized the bike from there.  ;)

Welcome, from a fellow Virginian.
If possible, try to find an aluminum trailer....you'll be surprised at how fast the weight builds up when outfitting the thing. Saving a couple hundred pounds at the get go will offset the higher cost, and your truck will thank you.

Good luck.

Welcome, Dave,

You don't have to worry about stealth while you travel. If you need a quick place for one night getting from point A to point B, there is always a Walmart lot or Home Depot or Cracker Barrel or a truck plaza. If you are in an area too rural for one of those, then you can likely find plenty of places to dry camp in the countryside. Bob seems never to need a manmade place.. he is expert at finding a Forest Service road anywhere on the map your finger might land.

And to stay up to two weeks in gorgeous scenery, you can boondock and not worry about stealth.

But, if I understand your end game, you want to travel to find a place you want to settle in, right? And at that place you will work and live out of your rig? So at that point you would need stealth?

Another option when you do find the place you want to settle in for a while: rent a space at an RV park. A few times, I've done that and it is cheap if you are not using the hook-ups. Then there are no worries about a knock in the night.

I enjoyed your slide show, too. You've never met a stranger, have you? Regarding many of your face mugging in your helmet... I do think you've watched a few too many Ernest/Jim Varney commercials or films. LOL

TMG51 said:
I have to say I don't agree with pretending you belong at a job site, though.

Oh, I'm not saying you pretend to belong, long term. Just long enough to finish your breakfast. Then you move on.

Based on my own personal experience, if you pretend to be the contractor that will be pulling the network cables you will be tolerated but soundly ignored. The trades don't want to accept networking as a fundamental part of a building so we don't get actually scheduled in like all the other trades. We have to just try to jump in after the drywall goes up but before the ceiling grid. Otherwise our job is a nightmare. In addition, most networking guys don't want to accept that they are just tradesmen, just like the plumbers and electricians. So, the two groups tend to ignore each other.

I'm thinking if you just throw a couple of almost empty Cat-5 cable boxes on your roof before you go to bed, no one will bother you at all.

GrantRobertson said:
Oh, I'm not saying you pretend to belong, long term. Just long enough to finish your breakfast. Then you move on.

Based on my own personal experience, if you pretend to be the contractor that will be pulling the network cables you will be tolerated but soundly ignored. The trades don't want to accept networking as a fundamental part of a building so we don't get actually scheduled in like all the other trades. We have to just try to jump in after the drywall goes up but before the ceiling grid. Otherwise our job is a nightmare. In addition,  most networking guys don't want to accept that they are just tradesmen, just like the plumbers and electricians. So, the two groups tend to ignore each other.

I'm thinking if you just throw a couple of almost empty Cat-5 cable boxes on your roof before you go to bed, no one will bother you at all.

LMAO :D

25 years in the phone/data world and I agree completely....but it was the carpet guys that always got us....how our cables, while coiled and stored neatly in the wall ring/box ended up with razor cuts after the carpet was laid, was always the 'unsolved' mystery?! :huh:

I've got a print of an old 'ma bell' AT&T sign i'm going to have made into magnetic signs for my van and trailer....for both stealth and nostalgia! :cool:

[quote pid='161571' dateline='1446129589']
Thanks so much for the warm welcome from each and every one of you! In trying to keep the introductory post brief, I omitted much information about my ultimate goal which is simply to follow the sunshine. The plan is to spend cold winter months in the warm Arizona climate, spend no more than 6 months a year working as a tradesman wherever opportunity knocks, and the rest of the time... living life to the fullest.

WriterMs brought up some options I hadn't considered, as well as a few questions that have yet to be answered. So here we go. My answers are italicized in brackets below.
[/quote]

WriterMs said:
Welcome, Dave,

(Thank you!)

You don't have to worry about stealth while you travel. If you need a quick place for one night getting from point A to point B, there is always a Walmart lot or Home Depot or Cracker Barrel or a truck plaza. If you are in an area too rural for one of those, then you can likely find plenty of places to dry camp in the countryside. Bob seems never to need a manmade place.. he is expert at finding a Forest Service road anywhere on the map your finger might land.

(That answers one of my biggest questions; can I travel cross country without paying for campgrounds or motels? The answer is clear, "Yes!" It also raises another question regarding the trailer: It seems like I would perhaps be better off just purchasing a fully rigged camp ready 14' RV than building out a cargo trailer trailer from scratch. Brand new left over models can be purchased for about 10 grand, and come equipped with the elemental essentials like toilet, shower, kitchen, and bed, not to mention storage tanks for fresh and grey water. Hmm.)

And to stay up to two weeks in gorgeous scenery, you can boondock and not worry about stealth.

(That's the ultimate goal!)

But, if I understand your end game, you want to travel to find a place you want to settle in, right?  And at that place you will work and live out of your rig?  So at that point you would need stealth?  

(I should have been more clear in the original post. My end game is to work out a way to earn enough money to live year round as inexpensively and comfortably as possible, boondocking while not working. Therefore, stealth isn't the first priority. I'd much prefer to live in a trailer and pay for RV hookups 'or not' while working, than rent an apartment or room. Which leads me back to the question I've been pondering these past 24 hours: Cargo or RV? I do need to keep my truck and tools in order to make this happen. Otherwise, I'd just buy a bike, leave with the clothes on my back, relocate to wherever, and take a job, rent a room, and just survive miserably.)

Another option when you do find the place you want to settle in for a while:  rent a space at an RV park. A few times, I've done that and it is cheap if you are not using the hook-ups. Then there are no worries about a knock in the night.

(Great advice! That's why you've got me thinking about buying a 14-16 'fully equipped trailer as opposed to outfitting a cargo trailer. While working, I'll have no problem covering the expense of an RV park, with or without hookups, while saving to boondock the rest of the time. Hmm.)

I enjoyed your slide show, too.  You've never met a stranger, have you?  Regarding many of your face mugging in your helmet... I do think you've watched a few too many Ernest/Jim Varney commercials or films. LOL

(Thanks so much, glad you enjoyed the slideshow. I can count on one hand using only 3 fingers the number of folks met throughout years of travelling, who could legitimately be classified as 'stranger than me.' I tend to avoid those random encounters altogether, but as everyone knows, sometimes it's unavoidable. Whether it's 2 weeks or 2 months, when I'm on the road, I feel normal and free. It's only when I return 'home' that I feel like a stranger...)

Now, about that cargo vs. RV dilemma: any advice? I'm all ears :).

Dave :p .

As I only travel part time I'm not qualified to give much of an answer about one versus the other, but if you decide to go with a camper, I'd suggest either fiberglass or aluminum.  The typical inexpensive ones aren't really built to handle the rigor of full time occupancy.  A Casita or a Camp Lite would probably hold up much better.

But I will say, after seeing Bob's build, and your skill set, I'd go with a built out cargo trailer.

I joined a fiberglass RV forum simply for an education on dealing with the fiberglass top on my van and because I thought I might like one for a trailer for when I finally have to settle down. Truthfully, those small fiberglass RVs have as many if not more problems than the traditionally built trailers and RVs. Different problems to be sure but problems just the same.

It astounds me that I can own a Wells Cargo trailer for 18 years now and have absolutely  no problem with any leaks anywhere but none of the trailer/RV manufacturers can build a roof to last more than a couple of years without leaking. It also doesn't require annual maintenance to keep it leak free.

If I ever decide to do a live-in trailer, I'd be seriously tempted to do up a cargo trailer to MY specifications, not the 'cram every feature from a house' layouts that end up in today's trailer/RV units. I don't want 3 tipouts, sleeping for 6, I like real wood not particle board and I don't want to spend 50 G on a trailer.

My first cargo trailer was ordered from Wells Cargo with a gray water tank already installed. They could have plumbed in a fresh water tank too if I wanted one. I can live without a black water tank quite nicely with the c-head toilet installed.

Since you already have considerable skills in building, I'd seriously suggest that you look at buying a cargo trailer and doing your own interior up. I always recommend Wells Cargo over any of the other trailer manufacturers if you do go this route. I'm on my second one - the first got totaled in a serious accident on I 95, otherwise I'd still have it on the road.

I have similar goals for my build, as I've been in the trades and know that if you can work with your hands, you'll never go hungry. I liked the vehicle/trailer idea, but it seemed to me that if I could make 1 vehicle work, that would have many advantages. So I've decided on a Sprinter buildout, as the back ends are huge, more than enough room for all the tools I'll need.

I live in Key West, and when I first came I lived in my van. I made the mistake of over-packing tools, trying to cover every contingency. After being here 15 years, I've seen about every type of transient worker come and go...and realize that nobody needs to haul a woodshop around in order to find work. Best of luck however you choose to do it :)

Hi again, Dave,

With your clarifications, I mainly have more questions for you to consider.

First, on your "time off," if you'd like to boondock in the (far) back country, you likely would be better off with a "bad road"-capable trailer build of your own. Bob did a blog post in the last few months that showed pictures of the roads he travels in his van that lower-clearance and/or larger/taller RVs would have a difficult time with.

Bob also pulls a cargo trailer home for the colder months when he is not traveling fast and far. If you haven't read several of his blog posts that show great pics of the kinds of places you will be able to boondock, you really should. (See Blog on the very top menu) That top menu also has drop-downs that show all sorts of build-outs and How-To Articles. But to the trailer point -- Bob does pull one with his van in many great back country spots. He'll probably get here and explain more.

If you are thinking of boondocking as mainly free forest service campgrounds and fairly flat BLM desert, there are many who pull Casitas and such and never have a problem. RVSue has a great blog showing where she camps -- a mixture of boondocking, public campgrounds and, rarely, an RV park. http://rvsueandcrew.net/

When you are working a job and might use an RV Park, you would likely have showers available at that park. You mention a plus for a ready-made travel trailer in that it would have a regular shower and toilet. There is a whole discussion section on this forum about Personal Hygiene. You'll see lots of discussions about how some make showers in their vans and custom built trailers. Likewise threads on toilet options. Reading these may give you an idea of your comfort level with ready-made or home-made facilities.

Have fun exploring the blog posts and the forum threads... there is so much info that you will be able to clarify what you need based on your personal vision of where and how you wish to live.