Your view on interior climate control?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debit.servus

Reaction score
What is your view on interior climate control?

For me: if I can see my breath inside, it's too cold; if sweat is running into my eyes, it's too hot. Comfortable temperature range for me is 60-80F depending on humidity and radiant heat.

debit.servus said:
What is your view on interior climate control?

For me: if I can see my breath inside, it's too cold; if sweat is running into my eyes, it's too hot. Comfortable temperature range for me is 60-80F depending on humidity and radiant heat.

My comfort zone?  37-37.5F   Damn menopause!

Gigi :heart:

I don't have a preferable temp, I go with the flow. as soon as you start putting temp highs and lows to your comfort zone you limit where you are going to go. basically go north in summer and south in winter. whatever the temp is, it is what it is. highdesertranger

I like to keep my van somewhere in the 70's... Outside the van is whatever mother nature decides, and I just react accordingly.

Varies with season due to my body adjusting to outdoor temps.  Outdoor temps are adjusted for effects of wind/humidity (windchill, heat index).

Winter:  Inside = 60 - 65ºF daytime, 50º night.  Outside = -30º to +30ºF.
Spring:  Inside = 60 - 75ºF (depending on sun), 50º night.  40's feels cool (long sleeve shirt), 50's warm (t-shirt).
Summer:  Inside = Outdoor temps with lots of fans.  Outside = 60's - 80's at night, 70's - 100º during day.
Fall:  Inside = 65 - 75º (sun again) daytime, 20's - 40's night.  50's feels cool, 40's downright cold (jacket).

Stuck in Minnesota this winter but when I can travel I try to find 60's - low 70's in daytime and 50's to low 60's at night.

-- Spiff

No climate control, except when I am driving. If I can't leave unpleasant temps behind, I just adapt to them.

I'm not concerned with daytime temps inside my rig, only nighttime temps. My comfortable interior temperature range is from 30 to 65 degrees, with low humidity up to 80 degrees. With high humidity, sleeping is difficult above 70 degrees, and nearly impossible above 80, with no artificial ventilation in a cramped space.

I generally tolerate cold better than heat though I am a native Floridian.  Hoosier genes on my Mom's side.  But I get along okay into the 90s F. if I have a fan moving the air.  Shade of course really helps.

Wearing socks/slippers and a sweater feels acceptable. Wearing gloves and a scarf (indoors) is not. If I'm in underwear and still sweating, it's too hot. I find that humidity is just as important as absolute temperature, and I'm less tolerant to it. There's no such thing as too dry for me; 10% feels great even though most people complain about dry skin. Above 50% makes me disinclined to do anything that might break a sweat, and above 70% is just plain uncomfortable regardless of temperature or activity.

I moved to Montana in part because of the weather; humidity is rarely much above 75% even when it's raining, and often down in the teens. I've found it to be a significant part of my overall quality of life. Living in underbuilt and overpriced shacks in northern California during their so-called "winter" was misery (albeit readily cured by a good woodstove).