Your favorite tape for.....

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SternWake

Reaction score
Duct tape, well, it varies greatly in quality and  application.

Ever try Gaffers tape?

Foil tape?

Eternabond?

How about Versa tape?
Just heard of it, Supposed to repair vinyl siding on homes.  Sounds... interesting.

I've been without any external tape on My van for too long perhaps. So far,  fiberglass reinforced surfboard epoxy is bonding well to properly prepped  steel and aluminum

I kind of miss applying white ducttape on top of blue 3m masking tape.

cancel, not really

Nashua Flex fix for reflectix

Tyvec tape?

What do you travel with?

I have Gaffer's tape, white and black
  Duct tape, white.

Nashua Flexfix
Electrical, 99 cent store and 3M
99 cent store foil tape
99 cent store carpet tape
Regular scotch.

Liquid E tape
Amazing Goop is dielectric too.

Last night I mixed milled fiberglass powder into Crazy glue and was astounded with the cured properties on a properly prepped plastic piece.

Whacha got, whatcha use it for?

How temporary do you consider it?

What is the most surprising result you have achieved with a Tape?

Note: bailing wire and WD40 deserve their own threads.

Pretty much everything you mentioned but no Versa Tape.
And that glass powder with cyanoacrylate sounds like I need to try to fix something with !

Oh yeah , Scotch 88 for electrical anything...............

Milled glass fibers are scary, when working with a strong LED light on one's head. Use lung and eye protection. Do not utilize if on hallucinogens. Or simple good THC. Flashbacks....

Superglue/cyanoacrylate cures weird when applied thickly, but with the milled fibers added, thickened like 5 minute epoxy, then sanded/ filed easily 2 hours later with a surprising strength.. Still experimenting.

http://www.fiberglasssupply.com/pdf/filler/MilGlsFib.pdf

Epoxy usually does not bond well to plastic, but is usually my first choice on other materials.

Superglue and carbon fiber roving, or fiberglass roving saturated by superglue is awesome on plastics. The milled fiberglass powder is easier, and made the superglue into a paste one could mold over the broken plastic.

As always, proper surface preparation is necessary for a good bond.

Here are a couple of unusual ones:

We have wall to wall carpeting in the living room area of our RV. It's an inexpensive area rug that we cut to fit around all of the built in furniture. It's not worth paying to get the cut edges bound and the kits that you can buy don't look very good so we found a better solution - carpet seaming tape. The carpet tape keeps the edges from fraying and we get a nice tight fit around the furniture.

Tony uses mesh drywall tape along with caulking on our rubber roof to make stronger repairs on tears or problem areas.

The new Gorilla tape comes in black and white. School bus seat tape is some of the stickiest stuff around and cloth backed, sorta super duct tape that if touches its self ain't coming back apart. It comes in seat colors. Used it for trim on uneven wallpaper 15 years ago and it is still there and looking good. Holed an oil pan on a rock about a 1/2" gash, put chewing gum on it to slow the leak, wiped around the area with Brake Clean then put seat tape over the area. Last I heard it had over 3,000 miles on the "repair" with no leakage.

School bus seat tape, this thread already worth the effort of starting , thanks.

I wonder how it compares to gaffers tape?

Some of my white gaffer's tape is failing after 3 years on an interior application, but removing it, there is no residue, which is a big ++.

I have repaired my black exterior facing curtains with black gaffer's tape long ago, and it is also now failing, but after years exposed to high temps and whatever UV light gets through the windows. No suck luck with easy adhesive removal, but a new layer seems to stick extra well to old adhesive.

I've not yet tried the Gorila tape. What I like about the gaffer's tape, is it stretches and compresses for untrue surfaces. Denatured alcohol is my cleaning solvent of choice for max bond strength, but Working with epoxy regularly, I usually have it on hand, even though uncured epoxy can be cleaned off laminating tools with Distilled white vinegar.

Since starting my build I've come to appreciate many different types of tape.

What I have knocking around at the moment are:
- Dollar store masking tape for marking wood / metal cuts and very temporary things.
- Clear packing tape for... Packing. I think. Haven't used it in a while.
- Gorilla tape. I thought I'd be super impressed with this as a duct tape replacement but the backing is so thick and "durable" almost to a fault. Adhesion has varied from awful to pretty decent in different conditions and on different materials.
- Electrical tape. I have also used it to seal leaks semi-temporarily going on permanent.
- Tuck tape. Strong Canadian construction stuff. Thin with good adhesive that will be pretty permanent on most things and hold fabric much better than most. Pretty unsightly so best for concealed applications.
- Climbing / sports / medical fabric tape. This hasn't been used in my build yet but it came in handy when I was backpacking and I've repaired some things with it. The adhesive can go quite gooey in heat but will go beyond temporary in the right conditions.

Need a new cup holder? A roll of gorilla tape left on your dash in the sun will have the glue run out of it until it becomes a semi-permanent fixture. The interior diameter of the roll is perfect cup holder size.

TMG51 said:
Need a new cup holder? A roll of gorilla tape left on your dash in the sun will have the glue run out of it until it becomes a semi-permanent fixture. The interior diameter of the roll is perfect cup holder size.

Recycle used paper coffee cups by using them as cup holders! Just leave one in your vehicle's cup holder then you'll always have somewhere to put your cup!

Actually I could probably do alright on Pintrest with that.

TMG51 said:

That sounds entirely too easy.

I wound need to overengineer such a thing to the point it no longer made any sense to even consider to fabricate it in the first place.

I am doing so now, Unintentionally.

Dammit!

HOly crap batman, I forgot about the self fusing silicone tape. I've got 5 feet worth waiting for the right project.
I think than in addition to being crvl's muffin/ computer fan lunatic/Wack job, I might be the tape lunatic as well.

Hopefully there is no 12 step program needed.

i have Used and stock the red or black Super glue E-Z fuse tape sold at my local 99 cent only store, Except now 'Only' is no longer valid as many products sold there now defy the 'only' clause in their title

https://www.amazon.com/Super-Glue-1...keywords=super+glue+self+fusing+silicone+tape

My local store sells 2.5 feet for 99 cents, plus tax of course. Nice to rip it off a shelf instead of clicking place order

It greatly impressed me at first but I have found this parituclar brand does not always 'fuse' as well as it claims. But it is still better than even the best regular E tape. I'd recomend using gloves as one's finger oils are my leading suspicious culprit in its less than 100% fusing properties.

Even when it does not fuse as well as one hopes, it cannot be removed without a knife or prying tool. It unpeels perhaps 0.5cm before ripping.

SternWake said:
I think than in addition to being crvl's muffin/ computer  fan lunatic/Wack job, I might be the tape lunatic as well.

Hopefully there is no 12 step program needed.

Nah...when you declined my offer to send you a sample of Eternabond tape, you demonstrated that you're still in control. First one is always free...   ;)

Hmm, the only tape I use not mentioned so far is VHB tape. (Strong double-sided tape, several varieties, follow instructions for install.)

SternWake said:
Note: bailing wire and WD40 deserve their own threads.

Actually, it's baling wire.  Originally used on hay baling machines.  These days it's a lot easier to find in auto parts stores as "mechanics wire".  Or of course, Amazon.  It's available in various gauges from 20 to 12, which means varying strengths and flexibility.  The thicker the wire, the stronger it will be, and the less flexible it will be.

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-10172...qid=1487604143&sr=8-8&keywords=mechanics+wire

Teflon tape is kind of specialized.  Used for sealing pipe threads.  In addition to the normal white teflon tape, they make a special extra thick yellow variety for use on propane and other flammable gas connections.  There's also a special hospital tape for use on oxygen and other medical gas connections . . .

not much of a tape user
basic duct tape

200mph tape,top end duct tape with fibers in it,not going to tear this by hand

blue painters tape

teflon pipe tape

black electrical tape

Not even close.

Attachments

• 8 track pf.jpg
    8 track pf.jpg
    73.2 KB