You don't need a gun in the wilderness

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is good to follow your instincts and be situationally aware. There are places and situations you should avoid period. Just because you can go places doesn’t mean you should. One of the apparent conclusions of this thread to me is a gun doesn’t make a bad place safe, although it might in a few rare instances allow you to get away from some place you shouldn’t have gone in the first place! Traveling in groups and learning those places is part of why we have the Caravans for those new to the lifestyle.

A woman YouTuber was in the wilderness when she was attacked by some guy she didn't know. She sped away in her car and he followed her and then proceeded to run her off the road. She made it to a fire station where she got help and the guy was arrested.
I just saw her video a few days ago. They caught the guy and just gave him a warning. She gave up her channel after the attack.
Bob Wells recently posted a video about how nomads are safer than anyone and he can prove it (through crime statistics). A week or so ago I read an article about the uniform crime index and how only 50% of counties report to the FBI as they are supposed to. So, statistics are not an accurate reflection of crime.

I do think nomads are safer than those not traveling.

But, women are in a very different situation than men. World's apart.

I just saw her video a few days ago. They caught the guy and just gave him a warning. She gave up her channel after the attack.
Bob Wells recently posted a video about how nomads are safer than anyone and he can prove it (through crime statistics). A week or so ago I read an article about the uniform crime index and how only 50% of counties report to the FBI as they are supposed to. So, statistics are not an accurate reflection of crime.

I do think nomads are safer than those not traveling.

But, women are in a very different situation than men. World's apart.
Yep. It's not like people who live this life are screened and all the predators, perverts, and mentally unhealthy people are made to stay in houses.

I mentioned earlier that I don't have a problem with people carrying guns... but I do wish some proof of proficiency was required. Seems like way too many people think watching how it's done on TV is sufficient training.

Well, recently there was someone that robbed a place. A short shootout ensued before a chase. The suspect accidentally shot himself in the face. Just because you have a gun doesn't mean you know how to use it.

I have had to remove about 15 posts (including some of mine!) that were off-topic, in bad form, demeaning, and generally not a good 'fit' for a serious discussion such as this one.

Threads about guns can get out of hand and off-topic in a hurry. If you went off the rails like I did...well...welcome to the crowd but the decision to remove comments is made in the best interest of the OP's original topic...it is nothing personal and there is no 'favoritism'.

Lets all do our best to keep this one on-topic, and above all, respectful of others opinions about the OP topic: Carrying a gun in the wilderness (hiking, backpacking, camping, etc).

I will also delete THIS post in a few days after the thread participants have had a chance to read it.

Thanks everyone!

I've been "following" this thread since it began, and from what I've observed the posts on here were entertaining in their original, (un-deleted form), and were not off the rails or threatening.

Please continue your job moderating but also please try not to overbear on the postings that you might not fully appreciate or fully agree with for one reason or another.
If someone reports a post specifically, then you might step in to "judge" if the post is worthy of staying up...?

A combination of complaints, reports, off topic posts, agreement among mods, and some common sense are all involved, but I do not and will never delete posts just because they disagree with me or I disagree with them.

Keep in mind that some posts might get removed by other mods also...im not the only one with that button!

In fact, if you think that I post off topic or some other transgression, then feel free to report ME. That has already happened BTW. Think of it as an 'open door policy'.

I'm just as likely to go off on a tangent as anyone else...maybe more so....

Last edited:
If moderation was limited to only posts that somebody reported, it might get weird.
There could be people who report too aggressively, just like there are people who post too aggressively (I have no idea if there are on this forum, but I've seen it elsewhere) ... or people who are hurt by a post but don't feel comfortable reporting it for whatever reason ... or people who see it and go "hmm, OK, that's the tone here" and post something iffy of their own and then it escalates.

I was thinking that for a thread on guns this one had a pretty dang good run before it started to wobble. I remember seeing the original post and thinking "yeah, that'll never work, here come the trolls," but it did good!

I'm of the opinion that the founding fathers had it right when they wrote that every person has the right to arm themselves. Every person has the right to live. Every person has the right to defend their right to live. No one has the right to tell someone how, or limit their right to defend their right to live. Thomas Jefferson believed that the Bill of Rights needed to be written down. In the Federalist papers, Alexander Hamilton wrote that it was so obvious that people had the right to defend themselves, it was unnecessary for a written Bill of Rights. Jefferson knew that people who crave power, who wish to deny other's their God-given rights, would seek government positions and work to erode all civil rights to maintain their own power.

Jefferson was very prescient. We now have a government who has educated an entire generation into arguing against exercising their rights. Patriot Act, No knock warrants, gun control in the guise of gun safety, a person's right to choose how to live their life and how to treat their own bodies. The 14th amendment abolished slavery and now we have become a society of wage slaves. Every ad is an attempt to take your hard-earned cash and turn it into an obligation to work for "da man". Work hard your entire life and you too can live in a van down by the river when you are old and decrepit and now longer a resource to some faceless, soulless corporation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.