YET ANOTHER "WHAT WOULD YOU PAY"

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TequilaSunSet

Reaction score
Looking at an early 70's GMC van with the following things done to it and needs...
original white pain color it seems, or it would be a really good matching old repaint
Drivers belt does not retract
Drivers window stiff does not roll all the way down
Needs front end alignment
Needs new front tires due to said alignment (would get 4 new to match tread and life)
Needs shocks, bouncy in front (Like tires would get 4)
Brakes great, want to throw me through the windshield
Power steering feels good
AC compressor kicks on but warm
Has rear AC unit added, fans comes on same deal
Pings under heavy acceleration
Sunroof leaks badly
Need rear door seals (leaks)
Rear end has old leak, seems current 
Has some surface rust on front rain gutters, couple of small surface spot random on body, and what looks like a body patch on solid rear door up high
It has an old spray insulation throughout. 
Plywood floor so I cannot see underneath
Has weird red wire leading to the back and into the floor... fuel sending unit?
Gas door does not close completely all the way
No popout windows... has 2 small side windows drivers side and one large window in the slider, no windows past that.

I kinda like it, I feel they are asking too much considering newer vans I have seen with more amenities... I have an idea what I would like to offer, but who knows.

What do you think?

Attachments

• ead44eaa-8f91-4365-825c-da7970ffc32f.jpg
    ead44eaa-8f91-4365-825c-da7970ffc32f.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 23
  • b86b8a16-1f46-40b9-a225-708f184f3ba7.jpg
    b86b8a16-1f46-40b9-a225-708f184f3ba7.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 350e647a-7880-466b-bc25-12866a24e140.jpg
    350e647a-7880-466b-bc25-12866a24e140.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 876fd42b-9ac1-492a-b94b-c246c0540fab.jpg
    876fd42b-9ac1-492a-b94b-c246c0540fab.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 24
  • acf9a27c-a6d7-4462-8aee-69b11edc13c2.jpg
    acf9a27c-a6d7-4462-8aee-69b11edc13c2.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 20
that sure looks like what I'd call a $1200 OBO van... figure if its running and you need a van, you can't go too wrong for $800- $1200. But to buy something like that and have to immediately put money into it? nowei.

Guy at work has something in similar condition and he put new tires and nice rims on it... he takes a good bit of ribbing when there's nothing better to make fun of ;)

Easy. I wouldn't take it for free. My last van I bought for $500 and it needed a lot less. Too many people out there who need money and will sell their gas guzzling vans for cheap. Especially if they need work.

Not to mention that I'd shy away from anything that doesn't run r134a refrigerant. Reworking an old ac system and procuring old refrigerant is a huge expensive pain. And so is updating to a modern system.

The cost of the van plus fixing it will get you a much nicer van. Plus, a modern van will net you 15-20mpg highway instead of 10mpg. Add to that the fact that you can dump as much money as you like into it and still have questionable reliability ... No way.

What's your budget and location? I love finding people vehicles.

I would hazard a guess that it needs more than a front end alignment. Its very likely out of alignment due to bad ball joints and tie rod ends on the front. Very common for those parts to be worn in these years. They didn't last long even when these vehicles were new.

Having said that, those older vans are pretty simple to work on, so getting one with a fairly intact body is a plus. However probably plan on spending a bunch to get it ship shape - and definitely have someone put it up on a hoist and look it over completely.

Thanks everyone... I am gonna take a pass. I have been adding up the repairs I know of and they are approaching what they are asking for the van, so I am not even going to offer $800... imagine how they might react when they are asking $2500! LOL

There are conversions vans that look way nicer, have more amenities etc that are in the same asking range or $1,000-$1500 more... so yeah, ain't gonna happen, but I wanted reassurance that I was in the ball park and not missing something.

@Giddeon... I am in the Sacramento area... I was really looking for non smog vans (1975 or older) but I am not seeing much in that arena that is worth even looking at for the most part. I was looking at 5K but then again I am also thinking about a used Nissan NV high roof... I am a train wreck :)

if it runs and shifts good and the undercarriage isn't rusted looks like a $800-1200 van,good start completely rebuildable and easy and cheap to get parts

$2500 is laughable. I look at a dozen conversion vans daily that are 1994+, 120,000-180,000 miles, use r134a with working AC, and are in pretty darn good shape for that same price. Plus, I'm in AZ so they are all rust free.

Pre-smog vans are going to be in two categories. POS that needs a full resto & already restored but costs an arm and a leg.

If you are going to be full timing it or travelling I'd suggest a newer van that you register in a non-smog area. A minor inconvenience instead of a hassle plus more $$$.

Heck, for a $5,000 budget you could fly down here to Arizona, pick up something nice with no rust for $1500-2500, drive it back, spend $300 on maintenance items, then you still have $1500-2000 for building it out how you like. 

I build/sell camper vans as a hobby and typically spend $500-1200 on the base van. I can do any/all repairs so costs are kept low. $5000 is plenty of budget for something nice.

^^^ Do you think the 6 cyl versions are any good? Seems to me you need a V8 for such a heavy van

The only 6cyl I'd use for vandwelling would be the GM 4.3 liter Vortec (it's a Chevy 350 with 2 cyl cut off) or the Ford 4.0 L Cologne V6.

Im a Ford guy but it is pretty darn hard to argue with the Chevy 4.3 L. They are also paired with the 4L60e trans which GM used in everything right up to the Corvette. 

Both motors will pull 20mpg highway in their respective truck based minivans (Astro and Aerostar) and GM also put the 4.3 in some of their larger size vans. Fuel economyin the larger vans is really only par with the 5.7 v8 (350) though as the load is so much higher.

Lastly, I'd avoid Dodge for vandwelling for a slew of reasons.

Oh, if Ford put the venerable 300 6 (a classic tough as nails huge 4.9 L 6cyl) in a van I'd sure as heck own one. Those motors were so good they used them in full size garbage/dump trucks.

Gideon33w said:
The only 6cyl I'd use for vandwelling would be the GM 4.3 liter Vortec (it's a Chevy 350 with 2 cyl cut off) or the Ford 4.0 L Cologne V6.

Im a Ford guy but it is pretty darn hard to argue with the Chevy 4.3 L. They are also paired with the 4L60e trans which GM used in everything right up to the Corvette. 

Both motors will pull 20mpg highway in their respective truck based minivans (Astro and Aerostar) and GM also put the 4.3 in some of their larger size vans. Fuel economyin the larger vans is really only par with the 5.7 v8 (350) though as the load is so much higher.

Lastly, I'd avoid Dodge for vandwelling for a slew of reasons.

Oh, if Ford put the venerable 300 6 (a classic tough as nails huge 4.9 L 6cyl) in a van I'd sure as heck own one. Those motors were so good they used them in full size garbage/dump trucks.

The 300 six was available in the Econolines in the '80's.  If you really want to go old school, get a '60's Econoline with a 240 six, same block as the 300 so it is a simple swap.

I should have been more specific but I didn't want to get too off topic. The 300 was available with fuel injection in the F series pickups from 87 to 95 (maybe 96). If they used that setup in the E series vans I'd be all over it. No more timing belts/chains!!!

Gideon33w said:
The only 6cyl I'd use for vandwelling would be the GM 4.3 liter Vortec (it's a Chevy 350 with 2 cyl cut off)

I agree 110%!!!

We have a 4.3 in our S-10, and it's not our first. These are super engines!! (I like the engine more than the truck itself!)

However...I do think a 3/4 ton van would be a bit underpowered with one in there. However, with a fuel injected 350, as long as you keep your foot out of the throttle...you'll get really good fuel economy as well, which is what I'd do.

In regards to my concerns over Dodges: Front suspension components made out of vanilla wafers, last of the big 3 to use a three speed auto, torqueflite transmissions return good fuel economy but the vaste majority fail due to very poor heat dissipation (I would NEVER run a Dodge auto without adding an external tranny cooler), generally poor build quality, etc etc etc

When looking at the Big 3 for vans it goes - Chevy | Ford | Dodge. Don't get me wrong, they will all have their ups and downs, but the Dodges are easily a distance third from a mechanics perspective. About the only perk is that you readily swap to a double row timing chain.

------

Back to the 4.3 Vortec: Like I said, imy a Ford guy, but so long as you can handle the quirks (pretty easy to fix/Mod the problem areas) it is just a darn good motor. I wouldn't suggest using one in a 3/4 ton either. The 350 (5.7 L v8) found in most of the Express and Savana vans you find on here is the L31. The L31 really only has one glaring flaw but it isn't hard or expensive to fix (though you want to do it BEFORE a failure). But other than that the motor is pretty much bulletproof, all cast iron, great flowing heads for power & economy, and parts are so interchangeable you can junkyard rebuild one in an evening.

Of course, you could end up with a 4L80e trans which is a different issue entirely. The 4L60e will go forever with proper tlc and if it does die they are cheap to rebuild or you can get a brand new crate trans for $1500.

Gideon33w said:
When looking at the Big 3 for vans it goes - Chevy | Ford | Dodge. Don't get me wrong, they will all have their ups and downs, but the Dodges are easily a distance third from a mechanics perspective. About the only perk is that you readily swap to a double row timing chain.
Hi Gideon33w.
     My mechanic suggested Ford | Chevy | Dodge. 
     After studying for a long time, I got a  1993 Ford E150 5.8L V8. That's the 351 Windsor. It's a high-top passenger conversion van turned wheel-chair, turned camper. 107K miles.  No rust.
    Wondering, what's your opinion of the 351W?
     It's not great on gas. My mechanic checked it out. Compression test was good.
     Didn't dicker much on price (paid 5K) and did about $500 worth of work.

It was important to me that it had been well maintained and driven. The owners bought it with 90K miles and since then, use it for touring the US (highway miles).  Also, it never towed anything heavier than a home built kon-tiki style raft, really light weight.
DRIVER FRONT VIEW_600x450.jpg ACK MATS VIEWm7s0X_600x450.jpg

Attachments

• DRIVER FRONT VIEW_600x450.jpg
    DRIVER FRONT VIEW_600x450.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 7
  • ACK MATS VIEWm7s0X_600x450.jpg
    ACK MATS VIEWm7s0X_600x450.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 12
Gideon33w said:
Not to mention that I'd shy away from anything that doesn't run r134a refrigerant. Reworking an old ac system and procuring old refrigerant is a huge expensive pain. And so is updating to a modern system.

"Duracool" :D

TequilaSunSet said:
Looking at an early 70's GMC van with the following things done to it and needs...
original white pain color it seems, or it would be a really good matching old repaint
Drivers belt does not retract
Drivers window stiff does not roll all the way down
Needs front end alignment
Needs new front tires due to said alignment (would get 4 new to match tread and life)
Needs shocks, bouncy in front (Like tires would get 4)
Brakes great, want to throw me through the windshield
Power steering feels good
AC compressor kicks on but warm
Has rear AC unit added, fans comes on same deal
Pings under heavy acceleration
Sunroof leaks badly
Need rear door seals (leaks)
Rear end has old leak, seems current 
Has some surface rust on front rain gutters, couple of small surface spot random on body, and what looks like a body patch on solid rear door up high
It has an old spray insulation throughout. 
Plywood floor so I cannot see underneath
Has weird red wire leading to the back and into the floor... fuel sending unit?
Gas door does not close completely all the way
No popout windows... has 2 small side windows drivers side and one large window in the slider, no windows past that.

I kinda like it, I feel they are asking too much considering newer vans I have seen with more amenities... I have an idea what I would like to offer, but who knows.

What do you think?

That van is 40 years old. I would not touch it. It is a break down waiting to happen. I certainly would not trust it on a trip more than walking distance from home.

Gideon33w said:
In regards to my concerns over Dodges: Front suspension components made out of vanilla wafers, last of the big 3 to use a three speed auto, torqueflite transmissions return good fuel economy but the vaste majority fail due to very poor heat dissipation (I would NEVER run a Dodge auto without adding an external tranny cooler), generally poor build quality, etc etc etc

AS a life long recovering Dodge guy, I agree. The front suspension on the Dodge is garbage. Ive rebuilt MORE of them in my lifetime. The Torqueflight transmission is a great transmission from Dodge. It just needs a tranny cooler and regular band adjustment. Most people don't do that and the transmissions fry easily.

I would have to say, My '89 shorty's body is not well built. Body panels were welded on not properly aligned, sealant non-existent on floor seams and drip rails. Why they used expand-a-foam as a sealant on the windshield pillars perplexes me. Its why most Dodges RUST up on the window pillar down to the frame.

HOWEVER, the dodge slant-6 engine is a world class reliable engine like the Ford Big-6. The LA 318 is also famously reliable. I would also say the same about the LA3.9L V6 cept thats its buzzy and has little power. (Pre magnum)