Wyoming free camping in campgrounds

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
on side note to free campgrounds I was told by a ranger that if a nf, blm campground doesn't have potable water they cannot charge you. highdesertranger

:) Great! I bookmarked it as I'll be in WY this coming fall.

highdesertranger said:
if a nf, blm campground doesn't have potable water they cannot charge you. highdesertranger

Untrue. There is a list of about 8 things and if they supply enough of them they can charge. The company I host for charges in some NF campgrounds with no potable water.

good to know blars. I just took him on his word. I know of quite a few that have fire rings, tables, and pit toilets but no potable water, and don't charge. so I just assumed that the no potable water was the reason because of what that ranger told me, or maybe it was just in such and such nf. highdesertranger

Blars is right, I was a campground host and had 4 small campgrounds and only one of them had water. Three of them had a fee and the one was free although I went there every day and cleaned the toilets. I asked the Ranger why it was free and he said just what Blars said, it had to offer a certain number of amenities before they could charge and it didn't offer enough.

don't get me wrong I believe you guys. like I said it might have been just in the nf I was in at the time or the ranger might have been blowing smoke. I stay in camp grounds so rarely that I am no expert. besides potable water, picnic benches, pit toilets, and fire rings what would be other amenities? electricity? just curious. highdesertrangers

The only others I can think of are trash pickup and regular service by a host. I talked to my boss about making my free campground a charge campground and we could have made it with trash pickup but it was so remote that the cost of running a garbage truck down there would never have paid for itself so it stayed free.

It was a beautiful campground too! I regularly saw bear, deer and coyote there. It took me an hour to get to and from it and most days the toilet hadn't even been used so I just signed the card in it and left. I'd plan to get there at lunch and eat my lunch alone. During hunting season it was packed and I had to work my butt off to keep it clean and we got nothing for it.
Bob

"Informational sign" (the one at the entrace with the rules) is another, as is parking spots.

ok thanks guys. I was wondering about this because they charge at ltva's but don't have anything. however they let you stay for longer than the 14 day limit. so I guess you just go site by site. highdesertranger

I went thru Wyoming in May and liked the free city campground at Lovell. Free glorious showers! You're only supposed to stay 3 nights but there were a few rigs that looked like they were there for longer. Not a lot of spaces. Will stay here again if I'm in the area.

From here, it's close to the excellent Bighorn Canyon. Also camping there for $10 tent, $20 hookpups.