Wynona

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Temporarydweller

Reaction score
Hello all.  Been lurking here regularly for a couple years.  I've found many ideas from builds on here so thanks.  I've been working on my van a lot the past few months getting her ready for whatever direction I decide to go in life.  This isn't much of a as I go build thread as I've pretty much got the van mostly the way I want it.  I will go back with what pics I have from the build process. Maybe my ideas can help or inspire someone else.  Obviously stealth is not a major concern of mine.  

From this the day I got her
2eRbNJt.jpg

To this
UBe7A5n.jpg
UBe7A5n.jpg

[font=arial, sans-serif]Here is a rundown on the specs[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]2000 Chevrolet Express G1500 2wd 207k miles [/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Exterior[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]4" Rough Country lift spindles[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]4" Rough Country lift blocks[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]Monroe Load Leveler rear shocks[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]Pro Comp 16x8 Aluminum wheels[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]Cooper AT3 Discoverer 265/75/16 tires[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]30" Rough Country curved LED light bar[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]Hood and window air deflectors[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]Window tint[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]Crosstread ladder racks x4[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]SportsRack SR7018 Roof Cargo Box[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]Coleman Mach 8 Cub 9200 btu roof A/C[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]Aluminess Ladder[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]Roof mounted aluminum ramp for cargo box access[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]70 Watt narrow solar panel mounted on roof[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]100 Watt Renogy suitcase panel for shade parking[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]Custom 3 point hitch hauler with generator tray[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]Honda EU2000i generator[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]Custom made PVC frame awning[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]Skeeter Beaters for front and rear windows[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]No see um screens for rear and side door full openings[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Interior[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]1x1 Steel tubing bed frame and counter frame[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]8" Queen size memory foam mattress[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]Passenger front seat swivel[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]2nd row captain seat mounted 90 degrees sideways[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]24" LED TV on articulating swivel arm[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]DVD player[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]Under table microwave[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]Renogy solar charge controller[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]Optima Yellowtop house battery[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]200 Watt inverter[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]Many plastic totes for under bed storage[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]Simple cooler for perishables[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]Reflectix cut for all windows for privacy and some insulation[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]Porta Potty[/font]

Now lets go back in time a few years. In my 20's I got a wild hair and decided to build a teardrop camper from scratch.
LtGnVjU.jpg

Had it for several years and many camping trips with the ex wife. In fall of 2013 we took a vacation to Texas dragging the trailer and I fell in love with the idea of not staying in hotels. We had a RV spot on the beach in Galveston for part of the trip and another site in Austin within walking distance to downtown. While in Galveston one day we were plagued with rain for most of it. Hanging out on a queen size mattress in a 5x8 trailer to stay out of the weather is okay in small doses. Parked right across from us in the RV park was a $100k plus Mercedes Sprinter Class B with slide outs and all. I knew that wouldn't ever be in my future but it sparked the idea that I NEEDED A VAN!!!!!

I actually started searching Craigslist back in my hometown while on vacation in Texas in the teardrop. I came home and quickly found a great deal on a 2000 Express with a shelled transmission for $1200. Came with a stack of maintenance receipts and zero rust. I had it towed home and bought a GM reman transmission and had a running driving van with less than $3000 in it so far.
n5Z7RN1.jpg

my8DXMQ.jpg

Tkj9qJe.jpg

So now comes the fun stuff. It was a typical conversion van layout with 4 captains chairs and bench/bed combo in the back. I knew from the beginning I wanted to build the van for 2 people only. Travel safely, sleep comfortably, watch movies, eat not laying in a bed, and lounge comfortably if the weather outside was less than desirable.

The first thing was to remove most of the seating and see what kind of room I had to work with.
F1LuuT6.jpg

vo2dgOq.jpg

I decided to get a swivel for the front passenger seat and then mount the second row captain permanently 90 degrees sideways giving 2 people a nice hangout area.

TRqnQ4h.jpg

GehFr5g.jpg

I designed a bed that would accommodate a queen size memory foam mattress. I did cut a few inches off the end but I'm only 5-11 so it's still comfy. I knew since the bed would be fixed that I needed lots of room under it for storage. I sacrificed some sitting up in the bed room for 18 inches of under bed clearance.

R4p0JjT.jpg

Fwoo0a3.jpg

C2y24ut.jpg

76NbOTd.jpg

NGMdJBI.jpg

The counter area is square tubing framed and some plywood and floor tile. Plastic totes for dry food storage and a few dishes and utensils. Decided a cooler would get me by and not be a continuous drain on house battery. A fridge would be nice though.

5RagNS4.jpg

NA8j7QG.jpg

I added a power inlet port for shore power. Wired up some led rope lighting, microwave, TV and DVD player.

2nAUD8V.jpg

KxEehXs.jpg

f1hF8zc.jpg

rFiY3eu.jpg

XixvJSf.jpg

Got the windows tinted and cut some reflectix for privacy. She's all ready for a trip for 2 and away we went..... Oh no wait, that's about the time the wife and I split up....haha We can save that story over a campfire sometime...
bl6yznB.jpg

I'm an avid dirt and dual sport motorcyclist, mountain biker, snowboarder, hiker.   I had a center mount hitch hauler I used on the back of a Tahoe for a while that was kind of wobbly and I never felt that great hanging a 250-300 lb bike on it.  I found a great deal on a big 3 point hauler I think was used for hauling a heavy road bike on the back of a large motor home.  It was heavy duty and rather than cutting off the two outer mounting points I decided to make my own receiver for the back of the van.  Or rather modify one for my use.  The hauler turned out to be rock solid and I can even tow a trailer behind it or use a bike rack.

yZjT1az.jpg

sOMf7MF.jpg

I used the van this way a couple years and took a few cross country trips with my motorcycle on the back.

I used a poorly performing portable A/C for a while but finally gave into spending big bucks on what I really wanted. A roof top air conditioner and a Honda generator to go along with it. It's a Coleman Mach 8 cub. 9200 btu of cooling and I added the optional heating element while I was at it.  At the time of the install in 2016 it was the lowest profile, lightest unit on the market.  I've been very pleased with the performance both in the summer and winter.  Aside from the money I spent, I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

sgG6T0C.jpg

wL7qLp7.jpg

XygX38E.jpg

Beginning of 2017 My searches for camper vans and new ideas kept leading me to pics of super cool lifted 4wd expedition type adventure vans.  While having 4wd would be ideal, I don't really have that kind of money to spend and I figured some more ground clearance and better tires would get me most of the places I wanted to go.  I am currently a GM parts guy by trade so I have access to all the GM catalogs and part numbers.  While I couldn't really find much info on lifting my van, I did see that the 90's 2wd GM trucks, Suburbans, full size blazers, and Tahoes all shared the same spindle part number as my van.  So I took the plunge and ordered some Rough Country 7500 lift spindles and blocks for the rear.  I decided it would probably be a good time for new ball joints and to replace any worn steering linkage.  First thing was to pull off the running boards and much to my pleasure I found no rust.
LjoT1Gx.jpg

A long day wrenching in the driveway and Wynona was taller.

MKN2cxZ.jpg

New shoes were next on the agenda and the stock 15" wheels were slightly rubbing on the new spindles so new wheels and tires were ordered.  I had our alignment guy at work line everything up and she tracks great and probably mostly due to the worn stock suspension and steering parts that were replaced, drives much better than it did before the lift.

8zj5zmk.jpg

Y5dqUTR.jpg

What I really wanted was a full Aluminess roof rack.  I loved the look of them and thought how cool it would be to hang out up on the roof of my van.  Sipping some morning coffee looking out at a glorious sunrise in the mountains.  But then the reality set in, I don't have 2-3 thousand to spend on a rack, I don't live anywhere near any mountains, and I don't drink coffee.  I also figured realistically I wanted more room for storage.  Riding gear and helmets take up a fair amount of room and snuggling in bed next to my snowboard is not an ideal sleeping partner.  So I opted for a large cargo carrier on some nice new ladder racks.  I had to have a way up there so I did bite the bullet and order the Aluminess ladder.  A flat aluminum loading ramp cut to fit provides me a somewhat safe standing platform.  It's a little precarious and I definitely have to watch my step while up there.  And I do now have somewhere to hang out sitting on my van if I ever make it to the mountains to see a sunrise.  Maybe at that point I will start drinking coffee.

jxwnvKC.jpg

67lQ6q1.jpg

LJgi8Z1.jpg

UBe7A5n.jpg

Next I decided if I'm going to be off the grid for any amount of time that I needed at least some solar.  My roof is getting full but I did find one option on a narrow 70 watt solar panel.  I decided to order one more ladder rack to make everything nice and solid up top.  I also ordered a 100 watt Renogy solar suitcase and removed the charge controller from it and mounted it inside the van.  I wired the panel with MC3 connectors so I can easily unplug the roof panel and plug in the suitcase if I want the van in the shade.  Right now my solar needs are very minimal.  I have a Optima Yellowtop deep cycle AGM and a 200 watt inverter.  I don't have a refrigerator and I obviously can't run the A/C or microwave off the solar.  It will run my TV and dvd player, run my rope lights, keep my cell phone charged, and run a small fan overnight.

kpgFvAj.jpg

8Qa5V4n.jpg

I love having my Honda generator with me but at times it is a hassle to arrive at a location or truck stop overnight and have to unload my motorcycle to get it out. Plus it takes up some pretty good under bed storage room. I thought with careful measuring I could make a tray that's connected to my hitch hauler for the genny. I may eventually make an aluminum dog house style cover but for now having it ratchet strapped down, steel cable locked, and a waterproof cover seem to be working very well.

oW0biGN.jpg

TDDEfmr.jpg

dmzsqCF.jpg

b27tW5U.jpg

U2iF3Yf.jpg

nYg9xaz.jpg

pvQzQ7b.jpg

An ARB awning may still be in my future but a cheaper DIY will get my by for a while. I ordered a tarp sunshade thingy from amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ISTXFI8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Then raided the plumbing section at Lowes and came up with this. It utilizes the large tie down holes in the ladder racks and I used paint roller extension poles for the uprights.

5utcZRa.jpg

AIDIvfN.jpg

OCv3bLU.jpg

The current project is a self contained sink. I've seen them attached to the rear side swing out door and while I love that idea, I have second row seating there. I decided to make mine free standing so it can be used inside or outside. It turned out a little larger once inside the van than I thought it would be but it works great. I still need to stain or paint it and plan on adding a mirror and light to the lid making it a small vanity.

WVoY3gr.jpg

JcXAfHY.jpg

srAgVXa.jpg

BNFZbAN.jpg

So that pretty much catches up to where I'm at now. Here are a few more current pics.

acEBdl0.jpg

Ff7VDug.jpg

ENFp5eu.jpg

kERgEcW.jpg

4HxgcMH.jpg

Made a good looking rig. Are you happy with the lift and the way it drives/handles?

Dennis said:
Made a good looking rig.  Are you happy with the lift and the way it drives/handles?

Yes I'm very happy with the way she drives.  I understand the all wheel drive Express/Savana vans have some wandering and tracking issues when the torsion bars are maxed out to lift the front.  Then you can't get enough caster back into the alignment.  Weldtec has addressed this problem for GM vans and have a really nice but spendy lift option.  But utilizing readily available lift spindles for 96-02 2wd keeps all the suspension geometry the same and alignment numbers came back within spec.

Sounds good. Wandering was what I was "wandering" about.

Fantastic project and transformation.  That old farmhouse reminds me of one I spent many good years in as a child.  Happy travels to you.

You did an amazing job with this van! Thanks for sharing, I have definitely learned a thing or two.

Hey there! Digging your build. Wanted to reach out and confirm part numbers of the 7500s you got for your lift. It seems like the ones im seeing are different than the stock as the spindle sits below the mounting points for the ball joints. The stock has the spindle in between the ball joint mounts. Is this what you found as well and it worked ok? My name is shaun.

You can find out more about me here ...

www.shaunnaughton.com

Looking forward to connecting! Hope you had a great holiday.

Best,

Shaun