Would this van be a good deal?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LCar

Reaction score
How much would it cost to fix this so that it can actually run?&nbsp;<br>I'm guessing if I learn how to fix it myself it would save me a lot of money?&nbsp;<br>How could I learn it?<br><a href="http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/cto/3987192563.html" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/cto/3987192563.html<br><br></a>
<span style="color: #222222; font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-size: medium;">1999 Ford E-250 Van</span><br style="color: #222222; font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-size: medium;"><br style="color: #222222; font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-size: medium;"><span style="color: #222222; font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-size: medium;">Mileage: high</span><br style="color: #222222; font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-size: medium;"><span style="color: #222222; font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-size: medium;">Condition: crappy ( just keeping it real)</span><br style="color: #222222; font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-size: medium;"><br style="color: #222222; font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-size: medium;"><span style="color: #222222; font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-size: medium;">Old work van that just needs to go.</span><br style="color: #222222; font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-size: medium;"><br style="color: #222222; font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-size: medium;"><span style="color: #222222; font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-size: medium;">Does not run, you would need to bring a trailer or have it towed.</span><br style="color: #222222; font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-size: medium;"><br style="color: #222222; font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-size: medium;"><span style="color: #222222; font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-size: medium;">Known work needed: exhaust, battery, fluids</span><br style="color: #222222; font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-size: medium;"><br style="color: #222222; font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-size: medium;"><span style="color: #222222; font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-size: medium;">Parked it a while back because it was running goofy when it heated up, motor was fine but I think it needed catalytic converter or something like that.</span><br style="color: #222222; font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-size: medium;"><br style="color: #222222; font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-size: medium;"><span style="color: #222222; font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-size: medium;">Need to move this quick, the local authorities decided that I shouldn't have it parked in my driveway anymore!</span><br style="color: #222222; font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-size: medium;"><br style="color: #222222; font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-size: medium;"><span style="color: #222222; font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-size: medium;">Come and get it!<br><br></span>
<span style="color: #222222; font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-size: medium;"><br><br><br></span>

The amount would be entirely unknowable. It may need a new engine and/or a transmission....$3000+. Overheating could have caused a lot of damage.<br><br>Do you have a place to park it while you work on it and learn? Do you have lots of tools? Jacks? Jackstands? Ford manuals? <br><br>If you want to gamble your money on something that might never run without spending a lot of time and money on, then this one's for you.<br><br><br>PS: Let me say again...ask your questions on Ford or Neon,etc. forums. You will get much better info!

I would get it but I am a pretty good mechanic as long as my back holds out.

its a parts van... that's about it

There's a reason it's FREE.....'cause that's all it's worth!<BR><BR><BR>c'mon.....use your smarts about this!

you would wind up spending an amount of money in excess of what you would for something running in decent condition. although, unless you make payments, you would have to spend it all at once rather than a little at a time.<br><br>my van is worth every penny i paid for her. which was less than 6k. i would think you could do just as well with a slightly older one for 4k if you look hard enough.<br><br>youd eat that 4k up pretty quick to rebuild it even doing most of the work yourself. especially if you go further than just a rebuild which a lot of these projects turn into...think: rebuild AND turn it into a liveable space.

I'd run if it were me. Come buy my van! It's old but I've put 40 some odd thousand on it in the last two years and it runs good. Got battery bank &amp; solar panel&nbsp; and high top. $2200.00. I'm gonna get a school bus. I wouldn't be afraid to go anywhere in this van. 1975 G30 Chevy.<br><br>Just look for earlier posts for pictures.<br><br>gus

Run away screaming. The number of times I've seen people pick up a junker of some sort (car, boat, motorcycle et al) so they can 'learn to do it up'...........no. It never ends well. It will surely be cheaper in the long run, not mention easier on your sanity, to just pay up and get something half (it only has to be half:) decent.