Working Seasonal with Pets

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kat5215

Reaction score
How do NOMADS work with having a dog ? Non RV .. And what can u do with your dog while working?

I would have loved that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For a job such as Amazon where there is a company campground sometimes there are couples who travel together and only one person in the partnership is working. The stay at home might be a good person to approach to arrange for dog sitting walks during your workday.
Hopefully you have a well behaved dog who can be left at home. Of course there is a lot more of those seasonal warehouse jobs during the Christmas season so having AC on while you are at work is not such a big issue.

There are of course dog walking services in many areas so if you are close to a town then it gets much eaiser to manage to have someone come over or to take your dog to someone.

I have done dog walking and sitting quite a few times over the last 10 years. Sometimes 24/7 for people who had to do business travel or for people who went on vacations. One job was 2 walks a day for 2 dogs for a next door business neighbor who worked construction. His dogs hated the noise of construction sites so he could not take them to work with him.

But some people have well behaved dogs and if the weather cooperates they can leave them in their vehicles and go out and walk them during break and lunch times. With modern tech apps and some solar power you can even have a camera in your vehicle and check in on your pet using your phone. But most employers would not be happy if you left work constantly to go out to your pet to walk it or settle it down when it is not an official break time.

when I get down to AZ and am doing some long term stays it is quite likely I would be happy to do some dog sitting time for people who are camping close by. I would not mind the extra income and the company of a nice dog. I don't want to have a dog of my own but I do like them and they like me.

A few years ago, I was talking with a snowbird who crosses the border into Mexico for medical/dental work. There's a large parking lot on the U.S. side, and she said there was a couple who would watch other people's pets and rigs (for a fee). Maybe there could be someone like that where you'll be.

And it might be a service that you could offer others.

I’ve heard of people trading off pet care. Just be sure they are trustworthy and responsible.

when you investigate a job take the time to look for a nearby dog daycare sitter. That might be the deciding factor in where you decide to work.

Amazon headquarters in Seattle rented space in the building out to a doggy daycare center for the convenience of the employees.

Really interesting subject. My dog just died and my mother offered to buy me another one, but I declined because I couldn't be sure the puppy would be manageable/trainable with a regular work schedule, or not be workable as an adult(has to pee, etc.). It's difficult -- pets are a major life and soul boost, but so is paying the rent and having enough to eat, etc.

they are a major factor.

we got a little Papillion who is now getting older. when traveling it is darn near all about him and keeping him alive LOL

when we hit the road and go 'all in' full on travel lifestyle, no pets.

find kennels that will work
find 'pet sitters'
in campgrounds you got pet trades for care and watching if you AC goes off and cooks your pet and

at that point. You probably will have to pay for care cause if that pet is left inside a vehicle we all know what goes down so??

even with the rv I fear to kill the pet while we leave for 5-6-7 hrs and I don't care about a pee in the rv, I care about that AC going off and truly killing the pet so?? again it is all about what works best for you.

drop off at doggie day care which is $$ but ensures the darn thing will be alive when ya come back I guess.

Latest posts